Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] 
 Post subject: Unban The Joe
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:23 am 

Admins here have unbanned worse people.

Post subject: Re: Unban The Joe
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:50 am 

Compelling argument.

What did he do?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:55 am 

He says he made a joke at you, actually.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:57 am 

lolwut

He sent someone a ton of goatse

There's more but the others will know it better than me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:00 am 

Joe on SI wrote:
- I got banned for making a joke at Lahimatoa. Considering that it was the R&P forum, and it's all srs bznss there, that's wrong, I understand that.

^He said it was this.

And these days, who hasn't sent someone tons of Goatse?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:03 am 

Huh, I missed it.

Heck, I don't even know who The Joe is. Is that his username here?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:06 am 

Was his username here. As I recall, his account was straight up deleted.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:08 am 

Mr. Sparkle wrote:
Was his username here. As I recall, his account was straight up deleted.

That must have been one heck of a joke. Sad I missed it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:08 am 

Mr. Sparkle wrote:
Joe on SI wrote:
- I got banned for making a joke at Lahimatoa. Considering that it was the R&P forum, and it's all srs bznss there, that's wrong, I understand that.

^He said it was this.

And these days, who hasn't sent someone tons of Goatse?

Dude, I send everyone Goatse at least twice a week! Its a form of Currency in Dubai!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:11 am 

"The Joe" was his first account. Was deleted after a long drama-filled goodbye post. Action there was not warranted at all. I've always disagreed with that.

Second account was like Casimir the Great III or something. Good user but he decided he was leaving and sent out a PM with goatse to Somm-1. Naturally Somm-1 went to the admins and I think Joe got perma'd (since he was leaving anyway)

Third account was "casimir" and posted very little that wasn't spam.

I never thought he should have been permabanned but it wasn't my call, really

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:13 am 

Acekirby wrote:
"The Joe" was his first account. Was deleted after a long drama-filled goodbye post. Action there was not warranted at all. I've always disagreed with that.

Second account was like Casimir the Great III or something. Good user but he decided he was leaving and sent out a PM with goatse to Somm-1. Naturally Somm-1 went to the admins and I think Joe got perma'd (since he was leaving anyway)

Third account was "casimir" and posted very little that wasn't spam.

I never thought he should have been permabanned but it wasn't my call, really

Seriously though, if someone sent me Goatse, I'd be flattered.

Oh, also, GOOOOOOAAAATSEEEE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:14 am 

Thanks for the rundown, Ace. I vaguely remember Casimir the Great.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:18 am 

If The Joe wanted to offend Somm-1 he would have used a different shock image. Using Goatse just means he didn't really mean it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:26 am 

We can all say "oh goatse isn't bad" but sending shock images like that IS against the rules and DID call for action. Saying goatse is a lot milder than actually seeing it (especially if you're a user who hasn't been exposed to it).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:14 am 

Another thing to take into consideration is that, at that time, most of us SI peoples were more aggressive. As a group, our tone has changed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:31 pm 

Cola pm'd some people a bunch of shock images like two years ago. I remember because Exjon flipped out about it.

but yeah he shouldn't have been banned/account deleted for using language in his drama post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:27 pm 

Good lord...

First, when a user comes back from a hiatus and posts nothing but spam, the admins really don't have much of a choice but to ban him. It had to be done.

I know we modmins said we would take everyone's opinion in account for things. However, my idea of that was that we'd talk to everyone about forum changes, things that affected everyone, not single users, because, frankly, bannings and general discipline is not something that can be user-controlled*. We banned The Joe / Cas for a number of reasons - not just the one thing he did before the ban occurred - and no amount of popularity for him will make those points any less valid.

(*Yes, this completely contradicts Lahi's poll. IMO, it was a mistake from the start and one that I want to prevent from happening again.)

In addition, just a couple days ago we were talking about unbanning Joe. If I remember correctly, we came to a general consensus that it was a bad idea. Bringing an issue that should be private into public when it doesn't get the results you want does not help. Ram and Sree will unban The Joe if they feel it is the right thing to do. If you want to bring evidence to them privately showing that it is a good idea, by all means do that, but making a public matter out of this just makes things worse.

If it were up to me, I'd lock this thread, but I have a feeling other modmins might not agree with me here, so I'll leave it up to them to decide.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:36 pm 

I know that it doesn't apply to everything he did, and I know that it may no longer be in use, but didn't the administration decide years ago that things that happen through PMs do not have to follow Forum Rules? I remember it being an issue between Funkstar and somebody else, and the administration wouldn't do anything about it since it went through PMs.

I honestly don't care if Joe comes back. I mean, I'd like it--he's pretty cool--but since arguments always seem to spawn off of people suggesting others to be unbanned, and since it normally goes nowhere, it's no use to care.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:44 pm 

Quote:
I know that it doesn't apply to everything he did, and I know that it may no longer be in use, but didn't the administration decide years ago that things that happen through PMs do not have to follow Forum Rules? I remember it being an issue between Funkstar and somebody else, and the administration wouldn't do anything about it since it went through PMs.

I sort of remember this too except with Cola and Exjon.

Also I remember the opposite for Funk, he got banned for something on Gablbly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:13 pm 

Location: living in the sunling, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.
Yeah, actually Disk, what you say mayyy have been the case a couple of years ago, in recent times that decision "has been upturned" to use the only phrase I can think of to describe it. We've been calling people out on pm content for a bit, now. It rarely happens, but when it does it tends to be "funk you" esque pm's that were unmerited.

And I agree with Ju Ju. We made our own decision in private, taking it public because you didn't like how it went is poor form. I'm cool with locking this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:07 pm 

Quote:

Yes, you're right, and this is a bit of a mistake on our part.

The fact that pms would not be moderated was stated before Ram and Sree became admins. There was no way to check if the pm was real or not, so, lest we gain access to the supposed victim's account, it was the best choice. However, after the big mod and admin recruitment, a similar situation came up (it may have been this one). We decided that it was important to, one way or another, moderate these pms - we couldn't just let users be harassed like that - and came to the decision that, if a user is willing to give an admin their password to check for the accused pm, we could do something about it.

This new policy was casually mentioned a few times, but I don't think anyone really ever officially stated the change, so for that I apologize. (do remember, though, that the original decree - that we can't mod pms - was never really official either). All in all, though, it would've been better if we'd made that a bit more clear. I'm not an admin, but for the record, let me just state this now: Rule-breaking PMs can and will be moderated, and thus will evoke consequences for the sender

However, the pm was not the only thing Joe was banned for. A large chunk of it was due to his spamming spree upon his return. It wasn't like a good, regular user just started spamming - he came back with a new account after many months away and posted practically nothing but spam. He was obviously not intending to be a good, regular user. Seems like a fair ban to me. If he thought he might ever have wanted to come back, he shouldn't have done a stupid thing like that.

Again, I don't speak for everybody. This might not be what all or even any of the other modmins think. However, I think I can speak for the whole team when I say we already decided, witht he information we had, not to unban Joe. Feel free to pm Ram or Sree additional information if you feel it could help. Posting it in public just causes drama.

Capt. wrote:
And I agree with Ju Ju. We made our own decision in private, taking it public because you didn't like how it went is poor form. I'm cool with locking this thread.

Two is good enough for me. Lock'd.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]