Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bring Back the Off Subject
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:31 pm 

Isn't Off Subject a forum standard on any forum? Why is it archived then? All I know is, Off Subject is non-updateable right now, so there isn't a thing to go to on here when you watch too much :hr: . All I know is is that it should come back.

Post subject: Re: Bring Back the Off Subject
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:16 pm 

Agree.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:02 am 

The explanation you're looking for is here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:52 am 

Okay. Just wondered, since its archiving shows how dated it is, because I found a Youtube link to Try to Keep A Straight Face, and the guy deleted it. THAT'S how old it is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:58 am 

Hello. I'm Homestar W. (Hi Homestar!) I don't believe that anything wrong would happen if we brought back the off-topic section of this forum. It definitely was something everyone here liked. And whatever the problem was that got it locked (I think I know it), I think it has been long enough since then for it not to happen.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:09 am 

I'd just like to add my voice to the discussion to say I believe the off-subject boards have been down for a while and that this forum would highly benefit from an unlocking, or a recreation of them. It could re-energize this place back into being the hangout that everyone loved.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:53 pm 

In light of what's going on right now, I support the re-opening of Off-Topic more than ever if only because we can have Random Thoughts again and all the inane chatter can go there instead of cluttering up the whole forum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:19 pm 

Everything that Magna Carta says about the problems that arose in the off-subject threads is accurate. Unfortunately, it remains my opinion, with apologies to Homestar Winner, that reopening it likely would not be problem-free, and I believe the other mods are largely of the same opinion. At this point, we're not going to open the off-subject threads. I would also not put any large sums of money on it being reopened anytime soon. I do also wish to remind all that this is a Homestar Runner forum, and therefore its purpose is to provide a space for discussion of Homestar Runner. While some may regard off-subject threads as standard for forums, they are certainly not obligatory, and they've proven detrimental at this particular forum. Thus, I for one wouldn't view reopening them as a good idea. There are plenty of other forums to discuss other matters (such as SIBHOD).

My discussion with other mods leads me to believe that we are largely agreed on this matter and that our opinion is unlikely to change any time soon. Essentially, this is something of a "don't call us; we'll call you" type of situation. For that reason, I intend to lock this thread within the next few days, as there's really nothing more to say here. I'm leaving it open for the time being in case there is any need for clarification.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:35 pm 

Quote:
I do also wish to remind all that this is a Homestar Runner forum, and therefore its purpose is to provide a space for discussion of Homestar Runner. While some may regard off-subject threads as standard for forums, they are certainly not obligatory, and they've proven detrimental at this particular forum. Thus, I for one wouldn't view reopening them as a good idea.
See, I don't think the problem was really the subject matter so much as those people. Most of the people who posted on the off-subject forum regularly aren't here any more and probably don't have any intentions of coming back. Do you really think the community that currently uses the forum would cause that much more trouble if they weren't talking about Homestar?
Quote:
There are plenty of other forums to discuss other matters (such as SIBHOD).
You can't say that Sinister Ice whatever forum is the same community as this place. What do you suggest to people who want to have non-Homestar Runner discussions but don't want to be part of that community?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:05 am 
Admin Styles

I wouldn't go there to discuss anything either. We should probably stop mentioning that place as an alternative, since they are so far removed from the current atmosphere of this forum.

You might try the following freenode IRC channels:
#hrwiki
#hrwiki-forum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:22 am 

As a regular poster at Sibhod, I'd agree that it isn't a true alternative to having an Off-Subject forum here on this board. I invite you to take a look back at the early days of this forum, specifically this thread, and see the kind of camaraderie that existed between its members. This is something that could be regained, if a fresh off-subject section was made. It was an awesome experience for me, while it lasted. I agree with Ingiald, that the members were the issue causing the off-topic boards to be locked, and I think with some strong moderation, the current members wouldn't really cause any problems.

It's true, as Heimstern said, that an Off-subject forum is not obligatory. It is, however, i believe, a great way to boost a forum's vitality and friendship between its members. Just because you've had one bad experience with an off-subject board on this forum doesn't mean it's always going to turn out that way. The previous board lasted for years before it went bad, and who's to say that it will go bad again if it was rebooted fresh? All I'm asking is that you take a look at what your members are saying. Maybe take a poll, I don't know. All i want is to see these forums regain their former glory.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:44 am 

Yes, I should have been clearer. SIBHOD is good if you want off-subject as it was before the big lockdown, which I gather is not actually what people here want (certainly not what I want, either). IRC, by contrast, could be a very good place to talk about off-subject things for those who want to. Off-subject forums aren't happening at this time, though, sorry. And no, we aren't going to take a poll. Ultimately, this place isn't a democracy; it's under the control of the admins and mods, and our decision for the time being is against off-subject, per previous posts. At this point, there's really nothing more to be said on this, so I'm locking the thread. I don't want to be overly negative, but at present, the active mods are, as far as I know, unanimously agreed against reopening off-subject and not are not really amenable to a change in this. Hope to see some of you on IRC soon.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]