Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 3:46 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Amend the Wiki rules
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:21 pm
Posts: 537
Location: Under the table and dreaming.
I have something to suggest. I say that we should all stop correcting each other, (unless what someone is saying isn't clear and you would like to make it clear) and leave all duties and responsibilities of the MODs to the appointed people. This would make our wiki environment a little friendlier. If this topic has already been made, I say we put some enforcement into my idea. Maybe contact joeyday and amend some of the rules to be clearer. Maybe have the MODs be more strict or develope a warning system. How can we put this idea into action?

That is all.


Last edited by Utard on Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:33 am
Posts: 14288
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
Yeah, there are way too mant wanna be mods, but sometimes you need a non mod to look out because the Mods aren't always on.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:14 pm
Posts: 280
Location: Living in the a van, down by the river.
Theres a big difference between being a wanna-be and reminding people when they step over the line. When you average 50 posts a day, or you didn't know there was an edit button, or you didn't see you double posted, a friendly reminder isn't all that bad.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:21 pm
Posts: 537
Location: Under the table and dreaming.
That's a good point. What we need to do is find the line between a friendly reminder, and Mod pretending. That will either be judged by the mods or maybe we could use the boy scout descicion making system. What we could do is ask if the post follows most of the scout law. There are 12 points to the scout law and let's say if a point follows 6 or more points, it's a clean post. The points are:

Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind
Obediant
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean and
Reverant


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:33 am
Posts: 14288
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
I don't want to be mean, but there are people that think that they're mods and treat the newbs like crap. That's the stuff that needs to be stopped.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 5:21 am
Posts: 2140
Location: My Backyard
Are we talking about the forum or the wiki?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:25 pm
Posts: 2439
Location: Empire of Sparkletania
I think they're speaking about the forum, simply because it's natural to correct on a wiki. But I will admit, I've had my share of "ABP'D"'s and "This is spam."'s but I never really mean't to hurt anyone or make feel unwelcome, I also understand that I'm not a mod. And when I point something out I really don't mean to offend those people who made what I'm pointing out. So to anyone who I have offended, I apoligize.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:33 am
Posts: 14288
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
Mr. Sparkle wrote:
I think they're speaking about the forum, simply because it's natural to correct on a wiki. But I will admit, I've had my share of "ABP'D"'s and "This is spam."'s but I never really mean't to hurt anyone or make feel unwelcome, I also understand that I'm not a mod. And when I point something out I really don't mean to offend those people who made what I'm pointing out. So to anyone who I have offended, I apoligize.
But that's the thing Sparkly, even when you don't try to be mean, it can still come off that way. If you just say in a post "THIS IS SPAM!! LOCK THIS!!" then that's no good at all, and it's spam itself. If you see a double post, just say "Hey, whoever, don't want to be mean or whatever, just try not to double post, ok? ect..." That way you still get the point across, but in a nice manner.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:57 am 
Offline
Resident Deity
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 1:21 am
Posts: 1252
Location: Elponitnatsnocway
I'm thinking the real problem is that we aren't actually talking. I'm not sitting in front of you telling you this, I'm sitting in front of a computer typing stuff into a box.

Do you think about other people's feelings when you type stuff into the box? Do you know how what you type into the box will affect them?

There really isn't any certain way for us to know what other people are thinking, especially when communicating through the Internet.

Some people just want to be that guy that gets to post that thing before other people post that thing. Or that guy that says that thing that those other people say and he just says because he thinks it's cool.

Maybe instead of getting all up on the noobs, you could gently remind the people that yell at the noobs that maybe they aren't being all that welcoming. Or something.

Can you be that person that makes a difference just by simply being nice?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:21 pm
Posts: 537
Location: Under the table and dreaming.
I really like that Tom. We really are people, not robots replying to a forum thread. I say instead of being brutal and punishing the mean poeple, we try to be an example and be nice.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group