Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: phpBB3 Beta1
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:52 am 

So, now that phpBB3 Beta1 has been released, what do you guys think of it?
Have you tried it, or are you waiting for the releasse candidate?

Post subject: Re: phpBB3 Beta1
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:04 am 

Sarge wrote:
So, now that phpBB3 Beta1 has been released, what do you guys think of it?
Have you tried it, or are you waiting for the releasse candidate?

Unless you all (and I mean all of the forum users) are prepared for potential downtimes and many, many, maaaaany bugs, we won't be moving to any "beta"s that we can avoid.

I am sure there are a ton of great features. But until things have settled down on the developers end, I think we are going to stick around in 2.something.somethingelse-land

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:17 am 

I can't seem to find a download link for it, and I wanna try it on my website. Any help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:23 am 

Well I didn't mean replace the current instalation with the beta, I just mean TRY it.
You could run it on a seperate system from the one running hrwiki to play with it. If you see features in it you'd like to talk to the give the phpbb developers about, they do have a forum for this exact purpose. That's what betas are for, you know.
And you wouldn't even have to replicate the existing hardware. You could run it inside a VM .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:32 am 

Speckeldorf wrote:
I can't seem to find a download link for it, and I wanna try it on my website. Any help?

Nevermind, I found it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:39 am 

Sarge wrote:
Well I didn't mean replace the current instalation with the beta, I just mean TRY it.
You could run it on a seperate system from the one running hrwiki to play with it. If you see features in it you'd like to talk to the give the phpbb developers about, they do have a forum for this exact purpose. That's what betas are for, you know.
And you wouldn't even have to replicate the existing hardware. You could run it inside a VM .

Sorry I sounded snappy... it's been a long week at work :)

We do run some tests on our own, but nothing on the scale of this forum. I don't know about the other admins, but I know that I don't have the time necessary to adequetly beta-test the new phpbb. (That's the point of a beta and all). If you want to play around with things on your own, I know that all of the software packages required for it are free and can be installed on either windows or linux (or other operating systems).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:40 am 

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=400283
^In case you missed it.

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/show ... hp?t=23872
^ screenshots-a-plenty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:28 am 

phpBB 3 looks fantastic. I'm a little nervous just because of phpBB's awful security track record, and that adding complexity (as v3 has) tends to add bugs as well, but the new version looks like it has a ton of great features. Rest assured you won't see it installed here until the final version comes out, or more likely after the first couple bugfix releases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:42 am 

Yes. They did something with the search thing. Finally. I can now say I like phpBB... well, I'll have to try it to make sure, but probably. The only thing that bugs me about it is how it says 'No posts met your criteria' or something when the real problem is that the search was too general or it had too many results. It stunk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:11 am 

Stu wrote:

Sorry I sounded snappy... it's been a long week at work :)

'salright. Here, have a cookie.
;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:36 am 

ed 'lim' smilde wrote:
Yes. They did something with the search thing. Finally. I can now say I like phpBB... well, I'll have to try it to make sure, but probably. The only thing that bugs me about it is how it says 'No posts met your criteria' or something when the real problem is that the search was too general or it had too many results. It stunk.

Phpbb isn't perfect, and it's true that it has many bugs. I'm hopefull that this 3.0 development cycle will adress some of the more annoying bugs. In any case, it's an oportunity for the comminuty to move the development in that direction. Better to do it now than later.
I'm just a hardware tech, not a programer, so I'm not able to contribute to the development. I can just poke and prod and cajole those who can.
And offer them virtual cookies. :)
I feel all warm and fuzzy now. Must be the capichino.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:26 pm 

Sarge wrote:
Phpbb isn't perfect, and it's true that it has many bugs. I'm hopefull that this 3.0 development cycle will adress some of the more annoying bugs. In any case, it's an oportunity for the comminuty to move the development in that direction. Better to do it now than later.
I'm just a hardware tech, not a programer, so I'm not able to contribute to the development. I can just poke and prod and cajole those who can.
And offer them virtual cookies. :)

I understand what you are getting at but I don't agree with the idea of "better now than later". In this case, I don't want to be their test subject. (by "I" I mean all of the forumers here). If they worked so hard to get version 3 out and with the huge number of users, I imagine we will be seeing some significant updates soon.

Sarge wrote:
I feel all warm and fuzzy now. Must be the capichino.

Maybe coffee in your case, but I think in my case its the bourbon. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:39 am 

Well, you certainly have a point in that it is difficult to beta-test forum software. It's just that it is easier to make changes to a code base before it's "final" release than after.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:58 am 

Huge security flaws you say?
hrmm.....
nah, it wouldnt work.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:49 am 

I think we all need to take a deep breath and calm down about all this bugs and security flaw rubbish.

It IS a completely free program.
It is also OPEN SOURCE , so we should be thanking our lucky stars that there are nice people put there that do that.

And also, probably not related but.....anybody thought about Invision Power Board lately....I make forums for people alot and it seems to be pretty good. Better Admin tools too.

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:57 pm 

devil.of.firewalls wrote:
I think we all need to take a deep breath and calm down about all this bugs and security flaw rubbish. It IS a completely free program.
It is also OPEN SOURCE, so we should be thanking our lucky stars that there are nice people put there that do that.

So.. you're saying that because phpBB is free, we should pretend it doesn't have security issues and just trust in the kindness of hackers, spammers, and script kiddies not to mess with our forum? :rolleyes: Come on. This is a production forum with thousands of members (not to mention the wiki, and the businesses who we share this server with), not some kid's basement hobby box. It's our responsibility to be aware of all security issues relating to all of the software we run, and let's face it, phpBB has a lot. Yes, you can be sure we're very grateful that phpBB exists and is free, but to imagine that we're going to be anything other than hyper-vigilant about security, or do something stupid like installing beta software in a production environment, is just naive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:52 pm 

What about Invision Power Board....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:06 pm 

What about Invision Power Board....

To be honest, we don't have any problems with phpBB. We keep up with our security patches and for the most part everybody's happy. Sure, we'd love a more powerful back-end and some of IPB's more advanced features, but we do perfectly fine without them. At any rate, there's the not-so-small matter of who's got $185 (hint: it ain't us).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:16 am 

I think we all need to take a deep breath and calm down about all this bugs and security flaw rubbish.

It IS a completely free program.
It is also OPEN SOURCE , so we should be thanking our lucky stars that there are nice people put there that do that.

And also, probably not related but.....anybody thought about Invision Power Board lately....I make forums for people alot and it seems to be pretty good. Better Admin tools too.

All good points.
I just don't think that the Admin would want to scrap all the hard work he put into making this forum the way it is and have to start over with a new software package. He went with phpBB for a reason (possibly several reasons), so you give him a really compelling reason to switch to something else then chances are he's not gonna switch.
Also, from all indications it seems that the staff here are not unhappy with phpBB (that is, I don't see anyone complaining about it) so why fix what's not broken? My only real concern when I started this thread was that the Staff (mostly the Admin) might want to get familiar with the new version before it comes out rather than after it comes out. That's entirely their choice...
...I wouldn't presume to tell them how to run their forum anymore than I'd presume to tell you how to eat your pizza; Well, not unless you were raised by a cup of coffee, but then I'd probably just back slowly away. Or offer you Pizza. It could go either way.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:47 am 

WahHaHa....I apoligise if I was being rude. Thats why we have a Suggestions Forum. :cheatgrin:

And....since the H*R Wiki Forum peoplz made a good decision on PhpBB