Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Post count not incremented on specific threads?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:01 pm 

It's come to my attention that threads like the "What are you <insert action, emotion ect. here> now" have been getting a bit too much attention as of late. It seemse as if some people may be posting in them because they are the last legal way to artificially bloat your post count since we moved all the forum games and arts and crafts to entire forum of their own where post counts arn't incremented. Now I'm not saying that I don't like these threads, I post in them every now and again but I'm just wondering...

Is there a way to do this on some specific threads inside the Off Topic Forum?

Post subject: Re: Post count not incremented on specific threads?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:11 pm 

I agree. Especially the Random Thoughts thread.

Prof. Tor Coolguy wrote:
"What are you <insert action, emotion ect. here> now"

What? Never heard of that thread.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:22 pm 

Funkstar wrote:
I agree. Especially the Random Thoughts thread.

Prof. Tor Coolguy wrote:

I think he means the "What are you Angry at now?", "What are you happy about now", "What are you listening to now?" type things. Unless you're trying to be a wise guy and make a joke....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:02 pm 

What about threads like these? I understand that you are trying to make a point, but aren't you doing the very thing you are complaining about? (Providing people a place to add "Me Too" or "I agree" posts in an attempt to increase post count)

If post count becomes too much of a problem, we'll just disable it. Either that or maybe I'll just fix those users that seem to be over-concerned with their post count :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:03 pm 

Something that kind of has to do with this, It says post count not incremented on the Spam Vault but that's not true.
edit:Simulpost!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:41 pm 

Post count for me is just a note to show me how many things I've done at the forum. It's cool to see that I've made 3000 posts. Using those threads solely to up your post count, in my mind, defeats the purpose, so I personally don't do it (The only reason I've been posting in "What Song is Stuck in Your Head?" is because that's oen of the most awesome ideas I've seen for a while) If others want to, I don't really care - the only post count I bother looking at most of the time is my own - and if post count doesn't matter, no one else should care, either.

Now, that being said, I can see why it might be frowned upon to do such a thing. Tello me, does anyone read the "What are you listening to now?" thread, save the first couple of poss above the bottom before they post their own? I doubt many do, so posting in that thread continuously could be classified as spam.

However, I disagree with Funk for the "Random Thoughts or IDeas" thread. I don't post there as much as some people, but there's always a conversation going on. It may be changing constantly, but because it's usually just like any other thread at a given time, it should be treated like one.

In the end, though, I'm sticking with my old point: if post count doesn't matter, then what's the problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:14 pm 

But lo and behold, Funk isn't saying anything about his "How ya feelin'" topic. ;)

Ju Ju pretty much just summed up everything I was about to say. It doesn't matter, so if you think it does, quit spammin'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:27 pm 

The Noid wrote:
But lo and behold, Funk isn't saying anything about his "How ya feelin'" topic. ;)

You can only post in that when the way you feel changes. Threads like random thoughts and ideas, you can post a million times a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:30 pm 

Change happens a lot. More than you would expect.

Like, right now I feel warm.

Now I feel tasty! :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:32 pm 

Um, Funk...how you feel can change all the time. Besides, lots of the posts in that thread are people discussing stuff like why they feel that way, arguing, etc.

It seems like you're conviently ignoring your own topic. Who cares about how many posts they have, anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:44 pm 

Homerun Starrer wrote:
It seems like you're conviently ignoring your own topic. Who cares about how many posts they have, anyway?

W a y to state the obvious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:48 pm 

Funkstar wrote:
Homerun Starrer wrote:

W a y to state the obvious.
No, really. There's this whole big deal about post count not being incrimented in certain places, but why? People still post there just as much, I can't see why the admins are making a big deal out of it (IMO).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:21 pm 

ramrod wrote:
Funkstar wrote:
Prof. Tor Coolguy wrote:

I think he means the "What are you Angry at now?", "What are you happy about now", "What are you listening to now?" type things. Unless you're trying to be a wise guy and make a joke....

Funk is joking. As for those threads, I can admit I used to be a little peeved at them. There was about three or four of those threads created in a week. Also, there never seems to be any discussion in those threads. Excepting the rare "Oh that's a good song", there's barely any discussion there. There is occasionally discussion in Random Thoughts sparked by a thought, but most of the time, there isn't.

As for "How Ya Feelin'?", I disagree that it's the same. In HYF, although one could say the basis is the same, the difference is that there's almost always a discussion going on there.

Tor, I basically agree on your main point, but there's no way to tell one way or another whether someone posting in those threads is trying to raise his/her post count, or just trying to post what they're <verb>-ing. So I wouldn't worry about it.

You know, for something as trivial as post count, we seem to have a lot of threads devoted to the discussion of it...

Homerun Starrer wrote:
No, really. There's this whole big deal about post count not being incrimented in certain places, but why? People still post there just as much, I can't see why the admins are making a big deal out of it (IMO).

Image The admins are making a big deal out of it? Please explain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:02 pm 

Well, by not counting posts in Forum Games and all that.

Eh, I don't really mind either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:00 pm 

Stu wrote:
What about threads like these? I understand that you are trying to make a point, but aren't you doing the very thing you are complaining about?

I was simply curious, I don't know much about the behind the scenes end of phpBB forums.

[

Sometimes it just seems like some people post in those threads as much as possible without running into the two hour double post no-no. Things start to look a little fishy when they post in one of those topics 5+ times a day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:07 pm 

Prof. Tor Coolguy wrote:
It's come to my attention that threads like the "What are you <insert action, emotion ect. here> now" have been getting a bit too much attention as of late.

I thought those were forum games.

Which means (if I'm right, of course ;)) that they should be moved to the proper forum. Which means that post count would not be incremented.