Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Do you like furries?
Yes they are cute 28%  28%  [ 34 ]
No they are pervs 45%  45%  [ 54 ]
What are furries? 27%  27%  [ 33 ]
Total votes : 121
 Post subject: Re: Furries! Good or bad?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:25 pm 

Jitka wrote:
Ian wrote:
Pretending to be an animal and believing that I'm an animal are two different things. It's like LARPing or acting in a play; I'm portraying Macbeth on stage, but in real life I don't go out stabbing my superior with my wife and later regretting it. Same with furry; I like to RP about being a gecko man, but in my mind I know that I'm a human and accept that.

That still doesn't answer my question, really. I know that you understand you're not really a gecko, but dressing like one or roleplaying as one tends to indicate that you wish you were one, instead of being the human being that God created in his own image, according to your own beliefs. Isn't this a rejection of God's designs? If so, how do you justify it? If not, why not?

How does that follow? Do cosplayers wish they were animé characters? Do LARPers wish they were elves? Okay, I'm sure some of those people actually do, but for many it's just a silly hobby.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:51 pm 

Exactly. Being a gecko would be cool, but I'm fine with being a human.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:52 pm 

IantheGecko wrote:
Exactly. Being a gecko would be cool, but I'm fine with being a human.

Since I believe in reincarnation, I always hoped I would come back as a duck. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:05 pm 

Gryphons are more awesome, IMO. Half-lion and half-eagle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:06 pm 

IantheGecko wrote:
Gryphons are more awesome, IMO. Half-lion and half-eagle.

... DUCKS.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:19 pm 

This thread is now about ducks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:22 pm 

Einoo T. Spork wrote:

SWEET! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:45 pm 

DG wrote:
How does that follow? Do cosplayers wish they were animé characters? Do LARPers wish they were elves? Okay, I'm sure some of those people actually do, but for many it's just a silly hobby.

There will always be a group of fans who take it further than others, but what I want to know is, how do the people on FFC who truly wish they were the animals they roleplay as, yet still claim to be Christians, reconcile their desire to be werewolves or whatever with their belief in Christianity?

IantheGecko wrote:
Being a gecko would be cool,

This is what I'm talking about. You'd rather be an animal than the human God created you to be.

Einoo wrote:

FUN FACT: A duck's quack does, in fact, have an echo.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:49 pm 

Here's my opinion of "Furries".

I actually think that normal, non-sexual "Furries" are pretty cool. I mean, without "Furries", we wouldn't have Star Fox, which is one of my four favorite video game series (Star Fox, Spyro, Army Men, and Star Wars Battlefront). I'm a Christian, and I don't think there's anything wrong with these normal "Furries", as long as it doesn't get to the point where people wish they were one instead of the Human that God made them. As a matter of fact, I'm currently writing a science-fiction story that includes some characters who are "Furries" (but some of them are lizards; I don't know if they count).

However, when it comes to all the sexual, purverted "Furries", I stay away! It's kinda disturbing to think that people actually do that kind of stuff.

The whole "Furry Fandom" thing, with the fursuits and all that: I understand that those people are just doing what they enjoy, but I would very much like to be left out. I don't really think it's right to want to be an animal when we have been made as Humans.

And, as Ian the Gecko said, it would be cool to be another animal, but I very much love being the Human that I am.

To put it bluntly, normal furries = good, purverted furries = disturbing. That's my opinion in a nutshell.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:52 pm 

Jitka wrote:
There will always be a group of fans who take it further than others, but what I want to know is, how do the people on FFC who truly wish they were the animals they roleplay as, yet still claim to be Christians, reconcile their desire to be werewolves or whatever with their belief in Christianity?
They argue that there's nothing in the Bible against it.

Jitka wrote:
This is what I'm talking about. You'd rather be an animal than the human God created you to be.
I never said that. I said that it would be cool to be a gecko. Yet I'm happy to be a human.

Homsar Fan wrote:
As a matter of fact, I'm currently writing a science-fiction story that includes some characters who are "Furries" (but some of them are lizards; I don't know if they count).
Lizards are usually called "scalies", but since most anthro characters are mammals the term "furry" has become a blanket term for all species. If it's an animal that walks and talks, it's a furry.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:55 pm 

IantheGecko wrote:
Homsar Fan wrote:
As a matter of fact, I'm currently writing a science-fiction story that includes some characters who are "Furries" (but some of them are lizards; I don't know if they count).
Lizards are usually called "scalies", but since most anthro characters are mammals the term "furry" has become a blanket term for all species. If it's an animal that walks and talks, it's a furry.

Ah, I see.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:58 pm 

If it's an animal that walks and talks, it's an anthro.

If it's someone enthusiastic about said animals, it's a furry.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:24 pm 

Ian pretty much answered this already, but I typed this up before realizing there was yet another page to read.
Jitka wrote:
That still doesn't answer my question, really. I know that you understand you're not really a gecko, but dressing like one or roleplaying as one tends to indicate that you wish you were one, instead of being the human being that God created in his own image, according to your own beliefs. Isn't this a rejection of God's designs? If so, how do you justify it? If not, why not?

It's just putting yourself in a different mindset for fun. You can enjoy being a human but also think being an animal would be really cool if you were one and pretend that for a while, just because imagination is fun. It's not being discontent with humanity, it's just fun. That's where the disagreement is, I think: I don't agree that it necessarily does "indicate that you wish you were one" instead of being human. Personally, I'm extremely happy with my human body. It can do all kinds of awesome stuff that other animals can't, and it gets me through life pretty well. As for any therian Christians out there, I agree that that's probably not defensible theologically.

Choc-o-Lardiac Arrest wrote:
See, Inverse is the good kind of furry, the one who doesn't really care, and who you couldn't really call a furry unless you looked hard enough. I'm 70% sure he doesn't own a tiger suit.

I try to keep my interests to relevant discussions and to situations where people are actually interested. I don't own a suit, but would like to try one out to see if fursuiting would be fun. It seems like it would be, but I also can't think of more than one place I'd want to wear it, and it'd be silly to put so much effort and/or money into something that I'm barely gonna use (especially from my current perspective of zero-dollar-having).

Acekirby wrote:
Inverse Tiger wrote:
(yeah, starting Friday morning I'm pretty much officially back here for the summer)

Really, don't. That's a terrible decision and we both know why.

But I'm in a foreign country and need to kill 8 hours a day :\ Otherwise, I'd agree with you 100%.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:38 pm 

IantheGecko wrote:
Jitka wrote:
They argue that there's nothing in the Bible against it.

And yet in essence Jitka's point is that they are not appreciating their human bodies, which, if I remember my religion right, is made in the image of God himself.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:16 pm 

Location: living in the sunling, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.
Look at it this way: by decrying the furs for pretending to be anthros, you're basically decrying everyone who's ever pretended to be anything other than what they are. Is it wrong that little kids run around and pretend to be dogs chasing squirrels or whatnot? You guy's arguments suggest that to me. To me the only difference between furs (for arguments sake, the sane/ideal ones) and the kids at the park is age.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:52 pm 

I didn't even read that because I'm just trying to clarify what Jitka's point was

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:56 pm 

Its like Cops and Robbers, except when adults play it, its usually taken seriously. You know, with Pay and guns and what not.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:07 am 

I'm "reviving" this thread (I don't think first-page, less-than-two-weeks counts as dead) because this whole discussion fascinates me and I'm surprised how civilized it's been.

My stance is like that of a lot of people here -I think there is nothing wrong with being a furry, unless you take the fandom in a perverted direction. But even then, I do not believe them to be any worse than "normal" perverts (besides the fact that they give the fandom a bad name.)

As for the whole Christian + furry angle, I do not see at all how it doesn't work. Really I think Christian furries are just about the coolest thing ever. Just because someone admires traits of other species and sometimes enjoys the thought of having them themselves doesn't mean they actually want those traits. I doubt many people would want to walk around in normal society with big ears, a tail, and a full coat of fur, no matter how much of a furry they are. You can be very proud of the body God gave you and still have a fursona. After all, what fun is it to role-play as yourself? It's only when it's taken in a pagan or perverted direction that I think the fandom reaches some problems with Christianity.

As for the original question of the poll, here's how I answer it: furries as a whole I would call "cute." The ones that are not cute are that way because they are either pervs or entirely incapable of sane social interaction, furry or not. That or they hide it, which is cool with me too. Despite my disgust with furverts, I would not call the fandom perverted, no matter what percentage they occupy. Allow myself to express how the whole thing works with the following qualitative Venn diagram (that may or may not have a slight bias in certain cell names):

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:39 am 

There are Christian perverts, and there are Christian furry perverts. Your diagram needs editing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:38 pm 

Taken care of. "Nonpracticers" and recovering/regretful furverts.

Snowyfox, might I assume that you're a furry/Christian furry, too?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:12 pm 

SnowyFox wrote:
Really I think Christian furries are just about the coolest thing ever.

Pff, everybody knows that 30-year old men in high achool with leather jackets and slicked back hair are the coolest thing ever.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:58 pm 

IantheGecko wrote:
Taken care of. "Nonpracticers" and recovering/regretful furverts.

I don't think so. You can't lump Christian perverts into "Nonpracticers". I hate to go back to this example but what about all the priests who were actively making sermons during their whole perverted thing? And I'm sure there are plenty Christian furry perverts who are not recovering/regretful. To be "recovering and regretful" you had to have been a pervert in the first place. A lot of people have darker sides and no one is 100% what they appear to be on the outside.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:08 pm 

Acekirby wrote:
A lot of people have darker sides and no one is 100% what they appear to be on the outside.

:mrgreen: ... Hi Jitka.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:32 pm 

I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER WHY DOES EVERYONE ALWAYS ASSUME-

oh wait.

If you're implying that I'm a closet furry who hates the other furries because he's in denial, sort of like Senator Larry Craig hates gay people, then please go to hell and die

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:34 pm 

Doesn't one usually die BEFORE going to Hell? :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:36 pm 

Have you ever played Doom?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:02 pm 

Jitka wrote:
I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER WHY DOES EVERYONE ALWAYS ASSUME-

oh wait.

If you're implying that I'm a closet furry who hates the other furries because he's in denial, sort of like Senator Larry Craig hates gay people, then please go to hell and die

I was actually doing a creepy at you due to the fact that you didn't know I was a yaoi fan, thereby implying that I had a dark side you didn't know about that you freaked out about. ;)

But you are a serial killer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:24 pm 

The Noid wrote:
SnowyFox wrote:
Really I think Christian furries are just about the coolest thing ever.

Pff, everybody knows that 30-year old men in high achool with leather jackets and slicked back hair are the coolest thing ever.

Seriously man, that's not true. They're so cool that they've been disqualified from the cool race so other people can win. I thought everyone knew that. Silly. Do some research, jeez. Actually that's not true at all. Only the Fonz has earned that position. Anyway...

I said "nonpracticioners" and "regretful" were two options. If those priests molest little boys without an ounce of regret in their heart, they are not Catholic. They just pretend to be. The same applies here. By "nonpractitioners" I guess I meant it to include "not very good practitioners." I suppose there might be a few exceptions, but for any of those to exist something wrong needs to be going on psychologically.

(You are correct, Ian.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:09 am 

I have determined, through careful analyzation and copious amounts of common sense, that a furry is alright as long as they keep to themselves.
I.E.: If they don't shove their fandom down my throat and don't do any harm, let them have their fun.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13