Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:53 am 

This is the best e-mail i have ever played :hr:

Seriously, i was laughing all the way through the flashback, then again when SB was asleep. Classic.

:cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: /5

( :cheatgrin: = stupidly huge amount)

TOTPD :eekdance: First ever!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:41 am 

The only thing that made me laugh in that email was the falling asleep part, which wasn't very funny either. 4/10

Depressios Quote of the Week: "Let me in! Da Da Da...Let me in!" -Homestar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:52 am 

I liked the email, but it moved a little too fast. I liked how it mocked Marshmallow's Last Stand. I guess we won't be seeing that back on the site for a while now. Time to wait another two years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:01 pm 

I thought the email was pretty good. I basically liked it for the same reasons you guys liked it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:09 pm 

Eh, first post here, I hope it won't characterize me too much as someone who "overthinks" ;)

Ok I think this email is great and very funny, but I don't like to rate things or people :)

Does anyone except TBC themselves know the real reason why Marshmallow Last Stand was removed from the site?

I had my own theory even before seeing this email, and it fits with how they redid the MLS scene in email #135.

My theory is that aside from quality concerns, they removed the original MLS because of the scene where

:sb:'s head explodes (or asplodes). I guess that people who play games like Resident Evil will find my theory ridiculous, but I think that the scene was pretty creepy and sounded eerily realist, as opposed to classic cartoon violence. You could see :sb: lying on the ground with 1/4 of it's head missing and you could still hear him talk and grumble like he was really hurt. The way the scene is presented, I can see how it could traumatize a kid, or anyone who had to deal with a real life version of this.

In case you didn't notice, since MLS, characters in h*r almost never lost body parts, TBC seems to be very careful about this, and if you can find any (very very rare) occurrence of a character losing a body part like :hr: losing his head in Virus, it's always done in a much more cartoonish and/or classy way.

TBC probably realized themselves that this particular image of a character with part of his head missing was powerful. Later they decided to play with this same idea, but at a more cartoonish level, and my theory is that Marshie is the result of their quest for a compromise between creepy and cartoonish.

Yeah I think Marshie looks like someone who just lost part of their head due to an accident, even more creepy is the halloween version where the "munched" part of the head is red. But since Marshie is marshmallow, is a cartoon inside a cartoon, and has a voice that is creepy in other ways, all wrapped up in a commercial, it smooth things out, to the point where someone could actually be healed from a previous trauma by Marshie! (Yeah I admit this is a little far fetched)

Ok so if you look at the "remake" in the current email you'll see how the scene where :sb:'s head asplode, was reenacted in a way where everything happens in a much more cartoony way, as if :sb:'s head is made out of glass and breaks into multiple little parts.

Oh well sorry for the long post... I'll try to be more compact next time :) Anyhow, does it make sense to at least one of you?

Edit: for some crazy reason I had the word Last and Marshmallow reversed, and while rereading this post (unfortunately my first), I realized that I also reversed roles for common sense and stupid ideas :sad:

Last edited by vl-tone on Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:35 pm 

Location: In my house with my two kids, Bulldozer and topofsm.
Kutchipatchi wrote:
The Cheat in this one=<<<<3
No, seriously, lazer disc, looking cute, and smelling like litterbox.
The Cheat, you are not eliminated, and get to stay one more night.

Watch Survivor enough? :p

Post subject: Maybe you do overthink
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:44 pm 

vl-tone wrote:
Eh, first post here, I hope it won't characterize me too much as someone who "overthinks" ;)

Ok I think this email is great and very funny, but I don't like to rate things or people :)

Does anyone except TBC themselves know the real reason why Last Marshmallow Stand was removed from the site?

I had my own theory even before seeing this email, and it fits with how they redid the LMS scene in email #135.

My theory is that aside from quality concerns, they removed the original LMS because of the scene where

:sb:'s head explodes (or asplodes). I guess that people who play games like Resident Evil will find my theory ridiculous, but I think that the scene was pretty creepy and sounded eerily realist, as opposed to classic cartoon violence. You could see :sb: lying on the ground with 1/4 of it's head missing and you could still hear him talk and grumble like he was really hurt. The way the scene is presented, I can see how it could traumatize a kid, or anyone who had to deal with a real life version of this.

In case you didn't notice, since LMS, characters in h*r almost never lost body parts, TBC seems to be very careful about this, and if you can find any (very very rare) occurrence of a character losing a body part like :hr: losing his head in Virus, it's always done in a much more cartoonish and/or classy way.

TBC probably realized themselves that this particular image of a character with part of his head missing was powerful. Later they decided to play with this same idea, but at a more cartoonish level, and my theory is that Marshie is the result of their quest for a compromise between creepy and cartoonish.

Yeah I think Marshie looks like someone who just lost part of their head due to an accident, even more creepy is the halloween version where the "munched" part of the head is red. But since Marshie is marshmallow, is a cartoon inside a cartoon, and has a voice that is creepy in other ways, all wrapped up in a commercial, it smooth things out, to the point where someone could actually be healed from a previous trauma by Marshie! (Yeah I admit this is a little far fetched)

Ok so if you look at the "remake" in the current email you'll see how the scene where :sb:'s head asplode, was reenacted in a way where everything happens in a much more cartoony way, as if :sb:'s head is made out of glass and breaks into multiple little parts.

Oh well sorry for the long post... I'll try to be more compact next time :) Anyhow, does it make sense to at least one of you?

Actually, I think they said in an inteview that it was just because it didn't fit into the continuity of the story, with characters saying and doing things they'd never do now.

They certainly have been a lot more careful for violence since then, though, so you may have a point there. Marshie HEALING trauma? That one makes no since to me.

Welcome to the forum and don't get banned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:06 pm 

This was a great email. I like the Marshmallows Last Stand part. THat was pretty gweat. Since Strongbad once again mentioned my name, or nickname rather, it's a solid 9/10.

BTW, welcome vl-tone. It's Marshmallows Last Stand, not Last Marshmallows Stand...

Last edited by Crashomestar on Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:07 pm 

8.5/10! Hilarious! I love it! I see why it took a while, with the old animation and voices and stuff. But I love it! =) It's so funny, well thought out, jeeze, could TBC do any better? Yes. But still a good email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:11 pm 

Meh not bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:33 pm 

It was ok. Not a gem in my opinion, but I did love the MLS references and I bursted into laughter with the laserdisc part. 6/10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:54 pm 

Location: At The Eastmost Peninsula in the toilet of my heart
Seriously, I thought it was great. I sat there mouth agape in a permanent smile at the MLS reference in the old email... and I must have set a record on how many times I laughed out loud in this email! That just shows how funny it is... or that the cinnamon roll I had just finished had a bit to much sugar in it.

Ath-a-late's Laugh-Out-Loud Moments:
- SB: The Cheat's playing something on a LaserDisc. Everything is better on a LaserDisc. Whatever happened to the LaserDisc? LaserDisc!
- SB: Greetings all you morones! Holy crap!
- Strong Bad hurling an anvil at the crowd
- HR: Uh, Strong Bad, why do you smell like a garage?
- MA: Ooh, that's resistable!
- SB: If that doesn't work, bring out your cute baby brother or holy-crap-adorable pet! (The Cheat bats his eyes)
- Strong Bad falling asleep after walking away

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:02 pm 

AWESOME!!!!!eleventy-one!!!. And I've never actually seen MLS, only heard about it (everytime I try to go to the site linked on the Wiki, it seems to be down).

The nipple-sanding, "Mongolian aftershave lotion", teh C.'s cute blue batty eyes, caviar burritos, head a splosion, canyon somersault . . . all golden.

Favorite Lappy e-mail by far. They just seem to be getting better. Maybe it's not kids' book, caffeine, or virus, but it's damn close.

11/10 or Me too!/10.

Hopefully this is a hint at a DVD edition of MLS, complete with mocking commentary from SB and SM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:21 pm 

Yeah, Melon is back!!!

I laughed through the whole thing.

The lazer-disk was weird.

And... I liked it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:26 pm 

I liked this one. The laser disc song was good, and I loved the MLS scene. Solid e-mail. I loved the canyon egg as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:48 pm 

I think that person who said "Ouch!" off-screen after Strong Bad threw an anvil into the audience was Homeschool Winner!

Post subject: Re: Maybe you do overthink
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:54 pm 

Black Metal wrote:
Actually, I think they said in an inteview that it was just because it didn't fit into the continuity of the story, with characters saying and doing things they'd never do now.

They certainly have been a lot more careful for violence since then, though, so you may have a point there. Marshie HEALING trauma? That one makes no since to me.

Welcome to the forum and don't get banned.

I would guess that's it's just the easy answer that they gave. Many early toons still on the site don't exactly fit with the continuity of the story, and characters acted differently and had different voices. In any case, I think that they were careful in remaking the :sb: head explosion scene.

Oh and forget about the Marchie thing, it's just a silly thought I had... My theory was that Marshie could heal a trauma by creating another kind of trauma :)

And I was just waking up when I watched the email and then wrote my first post, and really it shows, seems like I was still dreaming ^_^

Last edited by vl-tone on Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:56 pm 

That was a great email. Compy quality, I'd say.

I was not expecting Fabrosi or Mustachioed Homestar Runner, which made it all the better.

10/10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:23 pm 

I had my hopes set up too high for this one. The flashback got tiresome.

4/10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:56 pm 

I kinda liked it but the whole flashback thing got boring after a while.

6/10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:00 pm 

t'wasnt the best email i must say, but never the less, t'was stull funny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:09 pm 

I thought it was pretty good. I liked the LaserDisc part and when The Cheat made a face to make him look cute.

6/10

click on yukari to go to my deviantart (YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:28 pm 

The awesome. 9/10.

YOu know... Moustacioud Homestar appearing like that sounds eerily like...... THEY ARE WATCHING US! *shifty*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:38 pm 

I give this episode 100/10. That was one of the best episodes ever!! But I'm mostly just saying that because MLS is my favorite HSR episode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:01 pm 

I didn't like it.

:cheat: :cheat: :cheat: :cheat: :cheat: :cheat:/ :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin:

:cheatgrin: = 100000000000000000000000000
:cheat:= -100000000000000000000000000000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:03 pm 

strongfan wrote:
:cheat: :cheat: :cheat: :cheat: :cheat: :cheat:/ :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin:

:cheatgrin: = 100000000000000000000000000
:cheat:= -100000000000000000000000000000

=> -1000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:09 pm 

InterruptorJones wrote:
=> -1000.

Aww...Dammit! I had almost worked that one out! *throws away pocket calculator*

Depressios Quote of the Week: "Let me in! Da Da Da...Let me in!" -Homestar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:14 pm 

DonutHead41 wrote:
I think that person who said "Ouch!" off-screen after Strong Bad threw an anvil into the audience was Homeschool Winner!

I think it was Created by the cheat Homestar...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:32 pm 

Depressio wrote:
InterruptorJones wrote:
=> -1000.

Aww...Dammit! I had almost worked that one out! *throws away pocket calculator*

Watch thine language, slimey!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:41 pm 

It was great! But as great as it was, it wasn't worth all the wait.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next