Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

Please read this thread before voting. What should the SiteUpdates archive page interval be?
Poll ended at Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:41 pm
Monthly 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Quarterly 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Yearly 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yearly with short front page (Tom's idea) 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: SiteUpdates archive format
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:41 pm 

Since the SiteUpdates page will inevitably get too long, it should be archived at particular intervals. This was discussed at length some time ago, and last month I went ahead and changed the format to quarterly, as everybody seemed happy with that. But now I'm going to put it to a vote, since apparently some people have a different preference (unknown to me previously). Please choose the option that you prefer, and post your comments below.

----------
(Stuff below here is my opinion about the situation.)

There were eight updates in March, nine in April, and sixteen in May, which makes a very rough average of eleven updates per month.

Going by this, I'd say it's pretty clear that years are too long, averaging 132 updates per page. If you're looking for a particular item, it would be rather difficult to scan the page.

Months are too short. Eleven updates per page does not make for useful pages. Say you're trying to remember when a partciular update was made. If you know that it was in the last 4 months, you'll visit at most five archive pages before you find it. Also, listing all of the archive pages would get ugly. If you look at BigKnife's example, you'll see that the Wiki code for keeping it organized is a mess (this isn't BigKnife's fault at all, just a reality of the Wiki).

My vote is for quarterly archives, as described in the link above. They would average 33 updates per page, which is just right, in my opinion. Long enough for the page to be useful, but short enough to find stuff easily. There's also a maintenance advantage -- instead of having to create a new archive page and move stuff around every month in little four-week increments, we only have to do so every three months.

Well, anyway, that's how I feel. Vote away!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:12 pm 
Resident Deity

Yeah, my idea is to have yearly archives, but to update them once a month. The main SiteUpdates page would only have four months worth of stuff on it at a time. For instance, at the end of June, we would remove February from the main page and put it in the 2004 archive. Then at the end of July, we'd put March in the 2004 archive, and so on.

The reason I thought of this, was after seeing the monthly system in action, I saw it put too little on a page. My yearly idea (And not the other yearly idea) would afford easier searching while still presenting a front page of the most recent stuff. I'm pretty sure my idea is the only one that would leave substantial content on the main page. (To clarify, if we used the monthly, quarterly or other yearly one, the main page be blank at the start of each month, quarter or year.)

I chose four months for the front page because like Jones, I think it presents a good amount of information for casual viewing.

In addition to all this, my idea would be fairly easy to implement and understand. There would be only one page per year, and I don't think the monthly updates would be hard to handle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:16 pm 

Hmm. I'm beginning to think I should change my vote. That is, if I could change my vote. Your idea seems more.. more better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:17 pm 
Resident Deity

Well, we could just use my idea, and forget about this whole vote thing. I'm cool with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:32 pm 

Democracy rules. Give it 5 days.

Post subject: Edu-edu-educate!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:59 pm 

But Democracy doesn't works unless the people are properly educated. We should make an example of each so everyone can see what they're voting for. Just post them on the SiteUpdates/Debate and have people check them out before voting.

My Site Coming Soon.

Until then, my Userspace or Profile may do.

Post subject: Re: Edu-edu-educate!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:12 pm 
Resident Deity

TheBigKnife wrote:
But Democracy doesn't works unless the people are properly educated. We should make an example of each so everyone can see what they're voting for. Just post them on the SiteUpdates/Debate and have people check them out before voting.

We really wouldn't be able to do that, as the different systems might overlap. For example, both of the yearly choices would need a "SiteUpdates/2004" page, which is currently used by your monthly method. If we were to somehow make a bunch of pages, using weird names ("SiteUpdates/Tom'sExample") or something, it would just be really complicated to understand, in my opinion. The descriptions given above and on the debate page should suffice.

Also, the aspect that all of the methods (other than mine) having a blank main page at the beginning of each cycle couldn't be shown.

Post subject: Oh yeah...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:55 pm 

Good points. Should've realized that.

My Site Coming Soon.

Until then, my Userspace or Profile may do.

Post subject: Re: Edu-edu-educate!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:45 pm 

TheBigKnife wrote:
But Democracy doesn't works unless the people are properly educated. We should make an example of each so everyone can see what they're voting for.

The people here aren't incapable of visualizing it. I trust them to make educated votes.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]