Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Does the Bible contradict itself?
Yes. 30%  30%  [ 15 ]
No. 26%  26%  [ 13 ]
Only if you take it literally. 44%  44%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 50
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:54 pm 

Jerome wrote:
New question. Again, it's about Genesis.

On the second day, God makes a "firmament" to separate the upper waters from the lower waters, and calls the firmament "Heaven". What this seems to imply is that the sky - Heaven - is solid and there's water on top of it. This plainly isn't true. What's the deal?

As I understand it, there was water there then, but not now, because it all fell to Earth during the Flood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:18 pm 

First of all, as I've stated plenty of times before, the language of Genesis 1 is highly poetic. It is unlikely that the reader or hearer is supposed to understand the firmament as being a solid layer or object. In the context, the firmament seems to refer to the sky, and the waters above refer to clouds or water vapor, rather than liquid. At least that is my understanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:03 am 

I have a curiosity: God gave the Jews hundreds of commandments in the Old Testament, then when Jesus came, he said "You are pure by your heart, not by the food you eat." Would this mean that all of those commandments and laws where there so God would test His people's devotion to him? God told Abraham to sacrifice his son, then stopped him on the altar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:18 am 

Actually, he didn't say anything about being pure by your heart, but rather that the heart, rather than food, was what defiles you. A fine distinction to be sure, but important if you want to avoid the Pelagian heresy.

The Old Testament holiness codes were there so that the Hebrew people could demonstrate their "set-apartness" from the pagan cultures around them. That's one reason. The second is to be a test of faith on their part, as well as a constant reminder of their utter dependence upon God, sort of his way of saying, "You can't do this on your own; you will always need me."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:01 pm 

The law of Moses was filled with types and symbols of the great sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Here's a few verses that explain to me the purpose of the law of Moses, they closely go along with what has already been said.

2 Nephi 11 wrote:
4 Behold, my soul delighteth in proving unto my people the truth of the coming of Christ; for, for this end hath the law of Moses been given; and all things which have been given of God from the beginning of the world, unto man, are the typifying of him.

2 Nephi 25 wrote:
24 And, notwithstanding we believe in Christ, we keep the law of Moses, and look forward with steadfastness unto Christ, until the law shall be fulfilled.
25 For, for this end was the law given; wherefore the law hath become dead unto us, and we are made alive in Christ because of our faith; yet we keep the law because of the commandments.
26 And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.
27 Wherefore, we speak concerning the law that our children may know the deadness of the law; and they, by knowing the deadness of the law, may look forward unto that life which is in Christ, and know for what end the law was given. And after the law is fulfilled in Christ, that they need not harden their hearts against him when the law ought to be done away.

Jacob 4 wrote:
5 Behold, they believed in Christ and worshiped the Father in his name, and also we worship the Father in his name. And for this intent we keep the law of Moses, it pointing our souls to him; and for this cause it is sanctified unto us for righteousness, even as it was accounted unto Abraham in the wilderness to be obedient unto the commands of God in offering up his son Isaac, which is a similitude of God and his Only Begotten Son.

Mosiah 3 wrote:
14 Yet the Lord God saw that his people were a stiffnecked people, and he appointed unto them a law, even the law of Moses.
15 And many signs, and wonders, and types, and shadows showed he unto them, concerning his coming; and also holy prophets spake unto them concerning his coming; and yet they hardened their hearts, and understood not that the law of Moses availeth nothing except it were through the atonement of his blood.

Mosiah 16 wrote:
14 Therefore, if ye teach the law of Moses, also teach that it is a shadow of those things which are to come—
15 Teach them that redemption cometh through Christ the Lord, who is the very Eternal Father. Amen.

Mosiah 13 wrote:
27 And now ye have said that salvation cometh by the law of Moses. I say unto you that it is expedient that ye should keep the law of Moses as yet; but I say unto you, that the time shall come when it shall no more be expedient to keep the law of Moses.
28 And moreover, I say unto you, that salvation doth not come by the law alone; and were it not for the atonement, which God himself shall make for the sins and iniquities of his people, that they must unavoidably perish, notwithstanding the law of Moses.
29 And now I say unto you that it was expedient that there should be a law given to the children of Israel, yea, even a very strict law; for they were a stiffnecked people, quick to do iniquity, and slow to remember the Lord their God;
30 Therefore there was a law given them, yea, a law of performances and of ordinances, a law which they were to observe strictly from day to day, to keep them in remembrance of God and their duty towards him.
31 But behold, I say unto you, that all these things were types of things to come.
32 And now, did they understand the law? I say unto you, Nay, they did not all understand the law; and this because of the hardness of their hearts; for they understood not that there could not any man be saved except it were through the redemption of God.

Alma 25 wrote:
15 Yea, and they did keep the law of Moses; for it was expedient that they should keep the law of Moses as yet, for it was not all fulfilled. But notwithstanding the law of Moses, they did look forward to the coming of Christ, considering that the law of Moses was a type of his coming, and believing that they must keep those outward performances until the time that he should be revealed unto them.
16 Now they did not suppose that salvation came by the law of Moses; but the law of Moses did serve to strengthen their faith in Christ; and thus they did retain a hope through faith, unto eternal salvation, relying upon the spirit of prophecy, which spake of those things to come.

Alma 34 wrote:
13 Therefore, it is expedient that there should be a great and last sacrifice, and then shall there be, or it is expedient there should be, a stop to the shedding of blood; then shall the law of Moses be fulfilled; yea, it shall be all fulfilled, every jot and tittle, and none shall have passed away.
14 And behold, this is the whole meaning of the law, every whit pointing to that great and last sacrifice; and that great and last sacrifice will be the Son of God, yea, infinite and eternal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:50 pm 

racerX, I'm not familiar with any of those texts you cited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:15 pm 

Didymus wrote:
racerX, I'm not familiar with any of those texts you cited.

That is because those texts are from the Book of Mormon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:42 pm 

Yeah they're from the Book of Mormon. The reason I quoted them to you anyways was threefold.

1) They precisely explain my beliefs and understanding about the purpose of the Law of Moses.

2) Even if you don't believe the Book of Mormon is scripture, the ideas presented in those passages can be read and discussed on their own merits, apart from discussing the merits of the Book of Mormon as a whole.

3) On this board, passages from the Bible are often quoted to people who don't believe that the Bible is scripture. I figure it can't be any worse to quote passages from the Book of Mormon to people who don't believe the Book of Mormon is scripture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:26 am 

racerx_is_alive wrote:
I figure it can't be any worse to quote passages from the Book of Mormon to people who don't believe the Book of Mormon is scripture.

Well, it's not:
Revelation 22:18 wrote:
I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book.

Soooo...the Book of Mormon is false. Just like that new Anne Rice book...

Toast paint!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:58 am 

Ok, 3 issues-

1.Jesus said he would return while his disciples were still alive. Whoops, fashionably late!

2. Jesus said "blessed are the peacemakers". Why is he supposed to slaughter so many people in the book of Revalation? Major flip-flop!

3. In Genisis, night and day are created on the first day, but God creates the Sun on the fourth day. WTF??!?

Post subject: The first one was easy.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:38 am 

The For-Real Deal wrote:
1.Jesus said he would return while his disciples were still alive. Whoops, fashionably late!

2. Jesus said "blessed are the peacemakers". Why is he supposed to slaughter so many people in the book of Revalation? Major flip-flop!

3. In Genisis, night and day are created on the first day, but God creates the Sun on the fourth day. WTF??!?

1. We, as his followers, are all disciples. What he meant was, he will return before the apocalypse (which won't necessarily happen anytime soon.)

2. Revelation, as I know it, describes the forecoming end of the world. The slaughtering of people is, as I understand it, sending them to Hell for the sinning they have done.

3. As Didymus said, Genesis is highly poetic. "Day" and "night" more than likely represented something else, though I am personally not sure what.

I see you haven't played Twilight Princess. Why is that?

I got to the water dungeon thing and got bored.

WOW. You just lost the very little respect I had left for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:47 am 

Ian the Blue Man wrote:
racerx_is_alive wrote:
I figure it can't be any worse to quote passages from the Book of Mormon to people who don't believe the Book of Mormon is scripture.

Well, it's not:
Revelation 22:18 wrote:
I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book.

Soooo...the Book of Mormon is false. Just like that new Anne Rice book...

well, okay, but then:

Deuteronomy 4:2 wrote:
Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

so the New Testament is false too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:56 am 

No, becasue if the Book Of Mormon was false FIRST then it can't like, come back from the dead to kill the new testament.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:12 am 

Jerome wrote:
New question. Again, it's about Genesis.

On the second day, God makes a "firmament" to separate the upper waters from the lower waters, and calls the firmament "Heaven". What this seems to imply is that the sky - Heaven - is solid and there's water on top of it. This plainly isn't true. What's the deal?

Water is a very ancient symbol for chaos, which is universal disorder. Many of the old creation stories (not just Genesis 1, there's also similar ideas in a Babylonian myth) identify "the beginning" of the world as a vast ocean of water, deep, dark, mysterious, limitless, uncontained, formless. Firmament basically describes how God created "space" to the world by giving it a "top" (the sky) and "bottom" (the ground)--essentially, God created cosmos (order) out of chaos (disorder).

The Babylonian Creation story describes how the god Marduk slays the sea monster Tiamat (again, water imagery). Marduk then splits Tiamat down the middle and uses one half of her body for the sky, the other for the earth. Cosmos from chaos again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:31 am 

Mr.KISS 66 wrote:
No, becasue if the Book Of Mormon was false FIRST then it can't like, come back from the dead to kill the new testament.

well, the New Testament was false first because it predates the Book of Mormon by almost two thousand years...but in the Old Testament it says that you can't add to or subtract from it, and since the New Testament is an addition, being written around 1500 years later, then logically it must be false, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:10 am 

Cobalt wrote:
Mr.KISS 66 wrote:

well, the New Testament was false first because it predates the Book of Mormon by almost two thousand years...but in the Old Testament it says that you can't add to or subtract from it, and since the New Testament is an addition, being written around 1500 years later, then logically it must be false, right?

Ok... when was the book of Mormon first popularized? Leaving out any thing about mystic people writing it down eons ago, who actually made it? I thought it was a more modern thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:34 pm 

Joseph Smith, Jr., 1830.

I do believe it's time for a TOAST PAINT!!!

Last edited by IantheGecko on Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:42 am 

The For-Real Deal wrote:

Look it up in the Greek. He said the γενεα would not pass away. A
γενεα is a race or line of descent, not the same thing we mean by generation, as in Generation X or whatever. Jesus is literally saying that the legacy of the apostles will not pass away until the end, not that the apostles themselves will be alive until the end.

Quote:

And a peacemaker can't make war? St. Augustine, in The City of God, points out that there is such a thing as a just war, when the one who goes to war does so to destroy injustice and restore true peace. And that's precisely what the War of the Lamb will be, the Lord of Hosts (i.e., Armies) fighting to destroy all those who commit injustice and try to destroy his peace. Once the unjust are out of the way, there will be lasting peace.

But Jesus isn't saying that warfare is bad in the Beatitudes. He's commending faithful people to live in peace, and to strive to live in peace, not to ignore injustice. In the end, it is the Lord himself who will bring ultimate peace and justice to the world, not people (although people can be part of the process, if he chooses to use them). By contrast, people are not to take matters into their own hands, but to trust God and the lawful powers in place (law enforcement, good government, etc) to curb injustice.

You might also want to notice how many soldiers Jesus encountered: (1) a Roman centurion whose servant he healed, and whose great faith he commended; a Roman centurion at the foot of his cross, the first one to call the crucified Jesus the Son of God; and (3) the Roman Centurion Cornelius, the first gentile convert to Christianity.

Quote:

One word, and I've used it before in this thread: POETRY. Genesis one is essentially a hymn to God honoring him for the creation, not a step-by-step scientific analysis of how he did it.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:53 am 

Ian and Cobalt: I always assumed those two passages referred only to the books of the Bible in which they are written, Revelations and Deuteronomy respectively, not the whole rest of the Bible. It's why I'm not too thrilled with the Left Behind series. Maybe Didymus can better explain it.

But that doesn't mean I believe the Book of Mormon is Scripture. I don't. Catholic, remember? :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:02 pm 

Yes, I think you're right. The Deuteronomy one was right after all of God's laws and commands, and then it says "you may not add to these commands".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:22 pm 

I was hoping to discuss the quality of the ideas presented in those sections, rather than the source of those sections themselves. I tried to make that very clear.

We could go back and forth endlessly about the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, but I'm not sure that a Bible FAQ thread is the proper place to do it. If you would like to tell me your opinions and beliefs about the Book of Mormon, feel free to send me a PM, or start a new thread or whatever. I'll respond with my opinions and beliefs. I just don't feel like doing it here.

I suppose I could have paraphrased the above quoted sections and stated that they were my views on the purpose of the Law of Moses, since they are. I bet no one would have had any complaints if I had. Instead, I chose to quote the sections directly because I thought they were more eloquent than I could have been. To be straightforward, much of my understanding of the Bible has been formed by my understanding of the Book of Mormon. Sections in the Book of Mormon have made many ideas and doctrines in the Bible clearer to my understanding, and I feel I get more understanding out of studying the Bible now than I did before I was familiar with the Book of Mormon.

As for the "Don't add to my words" stuff, I agree with JohnTheTinyCowboy in that they refer to the books in which they were written. It's not like John the Beloved had some fully compiled Bible with 40 blank pages at the end, wrote down a revelation, and said "There! God is done speaking to prophets! No more scripture!" It was just the end of that specific revelation, and he didn't want people to change or add to what he had received and written as that specific revelation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:04 pm 

What does the Bible say about suicide?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:57 pm 

The Bible doesn't really say that much specifically about suicide. It isn't exactly an act of faith, but it isn't declared the cardinal sin that some theologians in history have made it out to be. It would depend, I suppose on who you're talking to. If someone considering suicide, then it might be best to dissuade them from thinking of it as an acceptible option. On the other hand, when speaking to someone who is grieving for someone who committed suicide, we mustn't destroy all hope for that person's redemption. But ultimately, we cannot know their fate based on the circumstance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:02 pm 

Location: somewhere in the crowd of people in stus backyard...
Didymus wrote:
The Bible doesn't really say that much specifically about suicide. It isn't exactly an act of faith, but it isn't declared the cardinal sin that some theologians in history have made it out to be. It would depend, I suppose on who you're talking to. If someone considering suicide, then it might be best to dissuade them from thinking of it as an acceptible option. On the other hand, when speaking to someone who is grieving for someone who committed suicide, we mustn't destroy all hope for that person's redemption. But ultimately, we cannot know their fate based on the circumstance.

All reports of people that have commited suicide and came back to life have gone to hell, but we still dont know. I think if you are honostly a christain, you wouldnt want to kill yourself, but stay here and help God. Maybe thats it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:07 am 

Location: living in the sunling, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.
Well, from what I've learned, God's forgiveness extends beyond not only what you've done already, bu to all the sins you will commit, which includes suicide, if that pertains to a certian individual. I remember Romans 5:8, which says "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." I believe that, if you have been saved, Jesus's blood will cover you for suicide, and although He would be disappointed in that decision, His love for you is greater than that. That's why He did what He did in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:55 pm 

Matthew 5:48 wrote:
Be perfect, therefore, as your Father is perfect.

We are humans, and God knows that we are imperfect. Jesus was the only perfect human, so how can we deserve the Kingdom of God if we can never be perfect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:09 pm 

Easy. Through Christ.

You are right - we human beings cannot be perfect in this life. While God does indeed call us to be his saints, we remain tainted by sin.

By dying and rising from the dead, Christ took upon himself our sin. But in this joining process, he also gives to us his righteousness. He exchanges our sin for his righteousness.

How does this take place? Romans 6:1-6 tells us.

But how do we continue to gain this in our everyday lives? 1 John 1:8-9.
In this, we continue to give over to him our sins, and he continues to give us his righteousness.

The life of a Christian is not a once-in-a-lifetime event (as some believe), but rather a life-long struggle in which we must constantly return to Christ to receive his cleansing. This is why we Lutherans continue to practice Confession and Absolution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:20 pm 

But with Christ, aren't we still imperfect? I know I'm a Christian, but I don't get how the Bible can say that we must be perfect, but also that we basically can't be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:23 am 

Location: living in the sunling, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.
I think it's more of a strive to be perfect, rather than actually be perfect. I'm not quite sure, I'll go read it in context and see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:35 am 

I compared 5 translations of Matthew 5:43-48, & they're pretty consistent. They don't say "strive to be perfect"; they say "be perfect".

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next