Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:23 am 

*Thinks of H* dressed as Richard Simmons...*
*Dies do to too much laughter*

Good gawd that would be hilarious! It's scary, wrong and funny all at the same time. He could train the KOT or something... :ahem:

Yeah, I don't think this was the Chapmen brother's best cartoon yet but it deffinatly had a pretty good "cute factor." Me baseing 'cute factor' on the cheat really. I mean, common, it's the cheat!

I really do wish though they would have had some more recognizable costumes though. I got: the joker, Tupac, and the mayor.

.::Ender::.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:27 am 

I loved it. And Joey, I've heard H*R and HR Pufnstuf compared before, but is this the first time we've had an actual referencing of the Kroffts from TBC? All I've ever heard were other people saying the one reminded them of the other. (And some specious theories about the similarity of the names, which TBC claim had more to do with a friend's humorous mistake about a baseball player.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:28 am 

The KOT's Mayor of Halloweentown costume easily sends the cool factor of this toon through the roof. I about died when he flipped his head around.

"This is Halloween, this is Halloween..."

Not as good as last year's, but not a wholly terrible effort. And wasn't the Goblin also absent from The House That Gave Sucky Treats?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:49 am 

Favorites:

"Hey! You guys didn't even get yer candy outta the turlet, there!"

"And remember, like, ten years ago? People's clothes looked funny! And music sounded turrible!"

Homestar holding his breath: "Aah pppfff!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:11 pm 

You know, I rather like these Snarf and cross-dressing ideas. The day Homestarrunner includes a cross-dressing Snarf, I am THERE.

In any case, I don't know what all these mumbly-grumblies are talkin' about. Just to see yet another reference -- with a PICTURE, yet! -- to all this Witches' Brew hullabaloo, why, that's reward enough. Particularly since I've been mucking about over on the Wiki with a PLETHORA of Witches' Brew information for the past couple of days. "It's 'Witches' Brew,' not 'Witch's Brew!' For the love of GOD!" Ah. Good times, good times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:29 pm 

I liked it. My favorite is KOT's costume. As a fan of Tim Burton, I got that quick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:33 pm 

i never saw tnbc but i recognized the kot's costume because one of my friends was watching the movie on the computer in my tech class

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:34 pm 

cbrubaker wrote:
I liked it. My favorite is KOT's costume. As a fan of Tim Burton, I got that quick.

That scares the crap outta me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:37 pm 
It wasn't all THAT grand. But I liked to see :sb: as the Joker!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:14 pm 

at first i thought :bubs: was dressed as Chris Rock (he did have a flat top years ago). ive never seen Billl & Ted's Excellent Adventure so i have no idea who he really was.

DOUGLAS!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:21 pm 

2 things that they could of improved:

Get rid of SB's 'Dear Oldie' line. It just doesn't sound like a SB come back

Have SB say something like 'Hey, it worked!' when he gives the cheat the 10 bucks

Overall, a great Halloween episoid. And for all those people complaining, I'd like to see YOU do better,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:46 pm 

Location: Disinfecting the Internet with my homies, Spam Slade and Dr. Watchem
Aw, what are you guys talking about? This toon rocked! Granted, it was a lot different than previous Halloween toons, but, in my opinion, it's still the best out of them all. I guess that's because it was a lot broader in the sense that it didn't just focus on one aspect of Halloween, like Homestarloween Party or Pumpkin Carve-nival did. It centered around Strong Bad and The Cheat, but everyone else was off doing their own thing. Again, I really liked it.

" You guys need some witches' brew? I got some right here. Two jars. Cold, hot, fresh witches brew! Only ten bucks a pop! Side effects include wine, women, and song."

:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:31 pm 

Hiya! I havent posted in a while.
Anyway, I usually NEVER recognize the costumes in the halloween toons, but this year was different. I recognized Strong Bad's costume and some others, and when I saw KOT as the Mayor of Halloweentown, I just cracked up. I got the movie The Nightmare Before Christmas back when it first came out about ten years ago, and I still have it. It's always been one of my favorites. It was one of the best costumes in all the halloween toons.

I also liked Strong Sad's costume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:37 pm 

Uhm... actually, Krissy, they DID focus on one aspect of the Halloween season- horrible fall/halloween festivals all over the world! Everyone except SB, The Cheat, and Strong Mad had their own little section, and the booths they had were surrprisingly accuarate to this year's fall festival in my area- a silent auction (oh, wait- silent! I just got the connection), a stand-up comedy section, bobbing for apples and other fallish games, and a pitiful "haunted" room. Yup- preeeeeetty accurate.

I'm sorry for all who liked this toon, but I think this toon is a perfect example of the rule that too much SB is a bad thing. All the others seemed to focus around H*R in a way, and I really don't like the way they put this one together. I give it a 7/10- a 6/10 if it weren't for the awesome day-to-night shot at the beginning,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:33 am 

Well... I've got to say that after all the hype, I was a little disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, the BC hardly ever produce anything bad. It's just that I didn't laugh out loud once this toon, which is quite rare for me. Even Homestar failed to make me giggle, which is probably a first.

The costumes were good, and it was nice seeing everyone in town doing there own little thing. They certainly seemed more independent this year then we usually see them, which was nice. But... I dunno. It was just missing something.

On the other hand, we had a good Oldie Halloween, and an excellent puppet show. I guess I'm just getting spoiled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:47 pm 

CB wrote:
Get rid of SB's 'Dear Oldie' line. It just doesn't sound like a SB come back

Well, actually, I thought this was one of the few comebacks that did seem like one of his. He spends so much of his life around-a his fan mail, he sorta thinks in terms of an email by now, which I think is sorta cute.

One more thing I'm not too sure about with this toon: If you compare this halloween toon with LAST YEAR'S labor day toon (sbemail: labor day)... well, notice how readily SB is with comebacks, as compared to him milking all he has but still not coming up with anything in "labor day". I know its been over a year, but I'm wondering how his character could've changed so much...

Oh, and also, a lot of the comebacks are really cheesy, like the "case of the throw-ups" line...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:55 pm 

Swooshy said it perfectly. Too much SB is a bad thing.

I enjoyed it, there were some laugh-out-loud moments, but it was a bit shorter than I would have hoped. I did recognize a lot of the costumes immediately, so they did a good job with that.

Too much Strong Bad. Not enough Homestar. That's my main complaint. Otherwise, solid Halloween cartoon.

In other news, I honestly shouted at Strong Bad to just run offscreen and vomit already. My sisters gave me some weird looks.

I counted syllables for the haikus, too. I are teh loser.

Post subject: obscure
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:30 pm 

I actually don't like the fact you can easily recongize the costumes. I prefer them to be obscure, especially in Coach Z's case (Tupac? He isn't old school!). That's why I dressed up as Strong Bad last night, instead of being a sexy vampire or a sexy nurse or a sexy zombie or sexy whatever. I like costumes that you can't just by at the store. Okay, end of rant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:44 pm 

10 reasons why this is not a solid Halloween cartoon:
1.WAY too much Strong Bad. Don't we see enough of him already?
2.Where the heck was the Goblin?
3.Nobody was a dead celebrity.
4.Homestar didn't mistake Strong Bad's costume.
5.Pom Pom and the Poopsmith didn't do anything. All the other years, they do some pretty funny stuff.
6.Homestar didn't have a wig.
7.Coach Z wasn't an old school rapper.
8.Marzipan's costume was just disturbing, end of story.
9.Strong Mad acted WAY out of character.
10.Strong Sad just plain wasn't depressing enough.
Though the King of Town was one of the best parts of this toon. Which is disturbing.

Good frickin' grief, MKwhatever dude! Spammity Calamity!!

Post subject: marzi
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:51 pm 

Pikachu Almighty wrote:
8.Marzipan's costume was just disturbing, end of story.

While I agree with a lot of what you said, I really liked that part. Hurray for crazy Marzipan! :marzi:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:59 pm 

I'm still not sure why people keep bemoaning the lack of the Goblin. I mean, it's not like he showed up in The House that Gave Sucky Treats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:57 pm 

Quote:
3.Nobody was a dead celebrity.

Tupac is dead, but i agree he's not old-school enough

DOUGLAS!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:22 pm 

t0_t3h_m00n wrote:
I counted syllables for the haikus, too. I are teh loser.

Hey, me too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:20 pm 

Honestly, the goblin was getting a little old anyway. Leave the poor guy alone.

Strong Mad wasn't out of character, he did about the same thing he has been doing recently (see 'extra plug', others...) The fact is, they made a differently-styled halloween cartoon this year, and for some reason everyone expected an (almost) exact repeat of the past several years.

I thought it was great.

You've got to feed and feed the forum, until it matures into database failure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:24 pm 

I just have to throw my two cents in.
At first I thought this cartoon was good, but a little short. After watching it a few more times, it really grew on me. Yeah, it's a little short, but it is so solid that it doesn't matter. It's long enough to satisfy because of the great costumes, and all the funny stuff in it.
I have to say that I find it a bit annoying that people think that they know the characters better than the creators. Saying, oh man, they should have cut that SB line, it totally wasn't his style. Come on. You think that you know SB's style better than the bros chaps? Please. There is always going to be something like the evolution of characters. Try looking at the very very beginning of the homestar stuff. The dynamics between the characters are totally different. Evolution is a good thing. So if they start taking things in a slightly different direction, just deal with it; it's a part of the maturing process.
To me, everyone seemed to be totally themselves. I think that too much SB is a bad thing too, but this toon didn't bug me at all. I thought the interaction between everbody was just hilarious.
If you usually laugh out loud, and you didn't this time, you probably just didn't get the jokes, I guess.
Anyone who didn't think Marzipan's costume was great is crazy. Marzipan being Willie Nelson is funny as hell. With the braids swinging, and the "Oh, yeah!" with a little head jerk. Hilarious. "Lay it on me, Mr. Corn." The KOT's costume was absolutely spot on. It looked so good it was scary. SB looked great as the joker. Pom pom as big boy was pretty funny. Coach Z as tupac with 'thorg life' was really good. And who says he isn't old school enough? He talked about cherryclan/wu tang clan in another toon. Wu tang clan isn't really old either, but you have to remember, the 90s were last decade. That's ten years. More than half the life of many of H*R viewers, I bet. Stong Sad as Bowie was awesome. I mean, all the costumes were sweet. It took some memory jogging at the hrwiki to come up with bubs', homestar's, and homsar's costumes. Once I realized who they were, it was pretty funny. Homestar's quote at the end about being a golf cart is really funny once you know who he is. Oh, and, "Hello kiddies! A-Meet the jokerr!" was freakin' hilarious. I busted up at that.
Overall, the toon flowed really well, had some great lines, awesome costumes (not too easy to guess, but not too obscure) and was a really solid toon. The intro was way cool too. It could have been longer, I guess, but to tell the truth, I'm surprised the Bros Chaps can animate these things as fast as they do right now. They are damn fast at animating this stuff as it is, if you think about it!
Well done, another great Halloween toon, brochaps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:40 am 

The Pros:

- I recognized a ton of costumes, such as :sb: (instantly), :kot: (instantly), :homsar: (after some thought), :poop: (instantly), :pom: (instantly), :marzi: (wasn't totally sure until the end).

- The costumes were awexome. Marzy as Willie Nelson? I had tears running down my face. The KOT's costume was a very pleasent surprise. The Cheat's costume was so cute.

- The day-to-night shift at the beginning. A throwback to the horribly bad night shifts of videro games past.

- The sound The Cheat made when he hiccuped. It was so adorable.

- Blue Star Ointment. 'Nuff said.

- Strong Bad's comebacks, which he threw like the toilet paper rolls he chucked last year.

- Bubs' attempts at comedy.

- The KOT's advice and x-ray, and Strong Bad's comments on both.

- We see the fabled Witches' Brew for the first time!

The Cons

- Bubs' attempts at comedy (:p).

- Abscence of the goblin.

- Strong Bad overflow.

- This is more nitpicky than anything else, but if Strong Bad wanted to scare the hiccups out of The Cheat, why didn't he just use the bear-shark from Strongbadia or loud noises? Those always terrify the little yellow squeaky guy to no end.

All in all, this was very good. Some little goofs or sour spots, but still pretty awexome. 9.5/10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:14 am 

I'm not saying that this was terrible. It had some good points.

-The x-ray of the KOT's heart.

-Bubs' attempts at comedy(You wanna know somethin' else that bares a striking resembelence to somethin' else? WOMEN CAN'T DRIVE!).

-Homestar was hilarious.

-Coach Z's attempts at being scary.

-Homsar, as usual.

-Strong Bad's questioning of Bubs' costume.

-While disturbing, Marzipan's costume was quite possibly the best one.

-Strong Bad's haiku.

-The KOT's costume fit him perfectly.

-The first sighting of...WITCH'S BREW! Dow dow dowwwwwowowow.

Good frickin' grief, MKwhatever dude! Spammity Calamity!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:41 am 

Thorg life = thug life.

No idea on the second

The third, I'm guessing, was just something that would presumably be "scary."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:34 am 

*sarcastic woohoo!*

I get to post the fabled "We have a wiki, people" post!

http://www.hrwiki.org/index.php/Halloween_Fairstival

The "Tommy John Surgery" that Coach Z mentioned is a surgery performed (mainly on pitchers) to replace a torn elbow ligament with one from another part of the body.

According to the wiki anyway, it's "Crackity towel", which makes a little more sense not much, but...) . And "thorg life"? I really don't know, but I could probably find an answer if I felt like doing a little bit of googling... not now though.

Mmmm... database failure setting in.

You've got to feed and feed the forum, until it matures into database failure!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next