Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:52 am 

InterruptorJones wrote:
porplemontage wrote:
When you see the hole in the Compy, it just looks like a monitor without any computer components.

Actually, it just looks like a couple of big gears and a boat propeller. It looks nothing like the inside of a monitor.

I have an obsolete Mac Classic II.
Most of the mac is taken up by a video tube. Flat aginst the side of one of the walls and the floor of the case are two cercet boards. On top of the board on the floor is a floppy drive and hard drive. Thats about it.
Since we don't see the walls of floor very clearly, there could have easly been two boards there.

That, or they disentegrated wih the shotgun blast. :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:11 am 

on a scale of one to ten, this email was totally awsome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:50 am 

It wins Best Prize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:21 am 

With regards to whether the compy is all in the monitor part or not: We have seen shots of the compy where you can see all around, over, and under it, and all we ever see is the part with the monitor. So unless the actual computer part of compy is hiding in another room, or inside a wall, it must be inside the monitor part. (well, I guess it's remotely possible it's directly behind the monitor, but it doesn't look like there's enough room back there to me)

I can't believe we're arguing about something so trivial...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:53 pm 

I'm surprised people know so little about ancient computer hardware to not know that most old computers integrated the monitor and internal hardware into one box.

Did this sort of argument arise when the Tandy 400 blew up, I wonder?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:52 pm 

SenorCardgage wrote:
I can't believe we're arguing about something so trivial...

You REALLY underestimate the people here, Cardgage. There was a thread all in its own about whether Strong Bad said "I'll kill all of you! I'll kill all of your dogs!" or "I'll kill all of you! I'll kill all of your dolls!".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:12 pm 

Location: In my house with my two kids, Bulldozer and topofsm.
Great. Just what we need. Another e-mail entirely about SB's computer getting screwed up. The only good thing is seeing what his new Compy will look like!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:07 pm 

To those arguing that the monitor was the only thing damaged, have you considered the possibility that his CPU was shot as well? It's not like we see it in perfect condition after the monitor is shotgun'd...we don't see it at all. Why would Bubs, a computer genious man, just shoot the monitor and not the CPU? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:43 am 

Kamahl wrote:
To those arguing that the monitor was the only thing damaged, have you considered the possibility that his CPU was shot as well? It's not like we see it in perfect condition after the monitor is shotgun'd...we don't see it at all. Why would Bubs, a computer genious man, just shoot the monitor and not the CPU? ;)

You have to remember he shot it with a SHOTGUN. This means shrapnel was thrown everywhere, likely damaging the hidden CPU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:44 am 

TheNintenGenius wrote:
I'm surprised people know so little about ancient computer hardware to not know that most old computers integrated the monitor and internal hardware into one box.

"Most old computers" being non-IBM-compatibles. I have never seen an IBM compatible computer (other than the Compaq picture linked to up there) that combined the monitor and CPU. Since Strong Bad's comp is called a "386", it's clearly an IBM compatible (as far as anything can be IBM compatible in H*R anyway).

Of course, going along that line of thought, we know Strong Bad would almost certainly be using MS-DOS, which wouldn't allow long filenames like "strongbad_email.exe" -- about the closest you could get is "strongbad.exe" (exactly the right length), or "strongba~1.exe" as Windows 95 would call it...

Kamahl wrote:

We only hear one "bang" (which instantly fixes everything), so we just assume there was only one shot fired. Moreover, Bubs wouldn't put more holes in it than necessary if he's going to sell it.

By the way, I always find it ironic when someone misspells "genius". :P

- Kef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:30 am 

Like I said before, it's a shotgun, which means that it usually has a shot that spreads into many pieces, or shrapnel, which more than likely owned the CPU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:26 am 

i don't think strong bad would be mourning over just a dead monitor. besides, when he got the compy, he simply knocked the tandy outta the way and set it down. monitor, cpu, they're the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:46 am 

Of course, we could also note that Strong Bad didn't take any time to actually plug the Compy in when he knocked the Tandy off, nor did he plug anything into it. And of course it's been noted that he types "strongbad_email.exe" (and it works) right after turning it on for presumably the first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:39 am 

thefreakyblueman wrote:
Like I said before, it's a shotgun, which means that it usually has a shot that spreads into many pieces, or shrapnel, which more than likely owned the CPU.

But judging from the hole that the shotgun left, he must have had a slug in it instead of the usual shot they put in. If there had been a typical shotgun shell in there, there would be a lot more done to that computer than one clean hole through the middle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:41 pm 

Maybe the CPU (tower or desktop) is like many of the character's arms. It's connected there somewhere, but we just can't see it. Otherwise, where do you think the disks would go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:53 pm 

paxman356 wrote:
Maybe the CPU (tower or desktop) is like many of the character's arms. It's connected there somewhere, but we just can't see it. Otherwise, where do you think the disks would go?

Heh. I like this theory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:12 pm 

InterruptorJones wrote:
paxman356 wrote:

Heh. I like this theory.

Cool, I thought it was just me after that last theory! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:55 pm 

paxman356 wrote:

That's a good point, and we know that it uses disks because of the infamous floppy disk container. But facts like "sb_email.exe" being installed on the compy from the beginning and others suggest that it doesn't really matter. But I'll play along because people who take themselves that seriously are too serious...yeah.

The Compy 386 is clearly newer than something like the Apple II or any of the other computers that are basically a box hooked up to a TV. It also uses a command prompt by default, so that means it's probably not a modern mac. But the command prompt also confirms its age. So if it's supposed to be like anything real, I submit that it's something along the lines of that compaq.

On a seperate note, considering how laptops are designed, if he DOES get the Lappy, we may actually see him typing with boxing gloves on. Although we sort of did in "fingers", he was really more using his artificial fingers to type.

Blue Lazor: "WHAT THE CRAP?!?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:57 pm 

We already know how he types from emails like "dullard". His gloves just bounce up and down on the keys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:57 am 

This email scared me. I am now scarred.Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:12 am 

I think the sound effect Marzipan made was Trogdor speaking from the end of Peasant's Quest.

:trogdor:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:49 am 

Classic...

This was the best email ever. It reminded me of those dream/hallucinating sequences in Winnie the Pooh and Dumbo. Only better. Poor Strong Bad! I actually felt bad for him.

As for the whole "where were the computer innards" argument, here are my thoughts. The Homestar Runner universe is kind of an alternative universe. That means it does not follow the rules of the real world. Look at Homestar: The guy has no arms. Neither does Marzipan. And I'm not really sure what The Cheat is. Or Pom Pom.

Which goes to say: the computer's "brain" can be where TBC want it to be. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:55 am 

Quote:
we know that it uses disks because of the infamous floppy disk container.

Have we ever seen him use one of the disks? Maybe they're just there for show.

Quote:
As for the whole "where were the computer innards" argument, here are my thoughts. The Homestar Runner universe is kind of an alternative universe. That means it does not follow the rules of the real world. Look at Homestar: The guy has no arms. Neither does Marzipan. And I'm not really sure what The Cheat is. Or Pom Pom.

Which goes to say: the computer's "brain" can be where TBC want it to be. Mr. Green

I like the way you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:23 pm 

Well, Strong Bad's computer's got a big hole in it and all is right with the world. This email was way better than montage. I wonder what's going to happen next...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:57 pm 

DUDE!! LIKE DUDE! I am still haveing a geek moment about this e-mail! I think he should get an apple. Not a radio shack computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:01 pm 

Ahem.

Man. Strong Bad freaking out at the end was just too funny!

I'm a super picky strong bad email fan, but even I gotta say...this is my new favorite!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:02 am 

SenorCardgage wrote:
Have we ever seen him use one of the disks? Maybe they're just there for show.

I just looked - I've got a stack of 3.5" disks on a shelf near my desk, and my current computer doesn't even HAVE a 3.5" drive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:04 pm 

Location: Broken Arrow, OK, USA, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe
My situation is slightly different. I have a few 3.5" floppy disks, but my floppy drive is broken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:05 am 

On a completely different note that still applies to this email, I was right about them making a main page for it.

Blue Lazor: "WHAT THE CRAP?!?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:46 am 

By far that was the best email from #100-119!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next