Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Decemberween In July!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:54 am 

http://www.homestarrunner.com/dween_menu.html

Funny stuff. Click on the green Chirstmas light at the top to see the puppet clip, "Homestar vs. Little Girl"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:53 am 

four/five things related to a holiday that doesn't come for another six or so months? Ah, the wonderminds that are TBC. I loved the sweet cuppin' cakes episode, as I've been hoping for an episode for some time, and the TEEN GIRL SQUAD was cool. Did I say cool? I meant SO GOOD! TWO'D!!
And the kids' book. It was pleasant to see another rendition. And I liked both the puppet things. Jelly and peanut butter!
All in all, great work from some great guys. Big ups, TBC!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:00 am 

wave o' babies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:49 am 
Resident Deity

Oh man this was great.

I was kind of late to work when I started this post, so I had to finish it after I got there...

I was only able to watch the Puppet Style thing and the first two pages of the kids' book at home, and let me tell you, I already laughed out loud three time.

1. Homestar talking about how Marzipan says he "protects his problems"
2. "Get ready to be pistol-whipped, snowman!"
3. I saw this coming. I'll provide a link as soon as I find it...

I love you The Brothers Chaps.

[Update]: Okay, I've seen everything in the whole toon now, and I am even more in love. That little girl was the cutest thing ever. And of course I was laughing so hard it hurt. So many times I can't even put them all here. (TWO'D!!) Now, on to that link I promised...

Okay, so I was looking around for some pictures of Matt and Mike for the Wiki a few weeks back. It's kind of hard to find them. Then, I stumbled upon this:

Becky Bennetch from Canada has a blog. A particular entry caught my eye.

The Brothers Chaps visited the University of Saskatchewan and showed off some of their stuff on March 25th, 2004.

When I checked out her photo album of the evening, a particular photo grabbed my attention. It's a screenshot of the opening title of Teen Girl Squad with a tiny "decemberween special" in the upper left corner.

Now, this was back in March. You can't tell how much of the toon was done, since we're only seeing one frame, but still... talk about working ahead.

Anyway, check out some of the other photos. There's some great stuff. It looks like Matt and Mike shot a bunch of uniquely Canada puppet stuff that they were showing off.

Yeah, so isn't that totally cool?

I also sent Becky an email asking her about the visit. We'll see if she has anything else to add.

[/update]

Last edited by Tom on Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:39 pm 

All of these made me laugh! Mmm.. Homestar vs. Little Girl? I didn't catch that one yet!

Either way, a great update!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:39 pm 

Tom wrote:
When I checked out her photo album of the evening, a particular photo grabbed my attention.

Dude, there's some great stuff in there. Stinkoman K as the Mona Lisa, Strong Sad dressed as a nun, the voice tubes.. and whatever the hell's going on in that last one. I am fascinated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:49 pm 

Thanks, TBC! I was getting impatient for christmas AND TGS issue 6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:00 pm 
Resident Deity

InterruptorJones wrote:
Dude, there's some great stuff in there. Stinkoman K as the Mona Lisa, Strong Sad dressed as a nun, the voice tubes.. and whatever the hell's going on in that last one. I am fascinated.

I did some more searching, and found this write-up of the event Becky attended in The Sheaf, the University of Saskatchewan students' newspaper.

Seems they talked about the Atari Game, and the DVD a bit too.

I liked this part:

Cas Millar wrote:
Besides their humourous cartoons, another interesting bit about the Brothers Chaps is that they are committed to creating a website where the visitor comes first by refusing to place advertising on the site and by being very selective about any posting links to other websites.

No matter how many different places I see that, it always strikes me as the coolest thing ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:58 pm 

Decemberween is so cool, it comes twice. First in July, and then in December.

And Ready for Primtetime made a comeback!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:30 pm 

You can also click on the candy cane....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:45 pm 

That was awesome! The Kid's Book made me laugh the hardest in awhile!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:44 pm 

Man! This was hysterical! Especially the kids book...
I almost attended U of Saskatchewan...I know some people who did, but they've all graduated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:01 pm 

Location: Disinfecting the Internet with my homies, Spam Slade and Dr. Watchem
That was hilarious! I especially liked the Kids' Book.

"The martinis have gone straight to their heads. The neighbors will probably call the cops."

Man, good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:39 pm 

Krissy wrote:
"The martinis have gone straight to their heads. The neighbors will probably call the cops."

How could I forget that line?

Anyway, ROTFLMAO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:40 pm 

Wow!

I am always amazed at the quantity and the quality of the work they put out. That TGS was hilarious! The best one yet.

Sweet Cuppin' Cakes? Oh, Yes!

In fact, the only part that I didn't care for was the kid's book. It seemed overly-mean-spirited to me. Maybe I lost my Decemberween mood by then, though.

Did anyone check for the hidden one first and watch it before all the others? I did. Give me extra points, please.

By the way, Tom, I think it's "Projecting my problems", not protecting. I think projecting is a psychological term, as he is putting his problems on somebody else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:34 am 

It's "projecting".

And I always force myself to watch toons all the way through before checking out the eggs, even though we all knew that we could click on the light as soon as we saw it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:48 am 
Resident Deity

lumberjack vegetable wrote:
By the way, Tom, I think it's "Projecting my problems", not protecting. I think projecting is a psychological term, as he is putting his problems on somebody else.

InterruptorJones wrote:
It's "projecting".

Agreed. I kind of had the volume down...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:43 am 

IJ wrote:
Quote:
And I always force myself to watch toons all the way through before checking out the eggs, even though we all knew that we could click on the light as soon as we saw it.

Wow! I can't do that. I also flip to the end of a novel to see what the last sentence is.

And to see how many pages are left.

If I ever write a book, Ima go-ing to have trouble with that last sentence.

A giftcard for fashion! How did you know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:45 pm 

Location: somewhere in the crowd of people in stus backyard...
This was a very nice suprise.
Teen girl squad: this was cool.its just missing dying birds, and the bigmouthed guy yelling and killing them.the lion took over.

Kids book: i didnt expect this at all.i loved it

Sweet cuppin cakes: I didnt like it when the Bubs wheelchair said "get your sassy frass out of my cabbage!!"because it sounded like he swore, and homestar is supossed to be clean.EDIT:[ yeah i think screw all yall is a swear but it was more early so they werent really popular and they could do anything.] Over all it was awesome

Decemberween Puppet Style: i like how he says santamen and this is just funny.i like the last part.

homestar vs little girl: that homestar puppet is big! and im wondering who that cute little girl is, a niece?a random?it seems like matt is very grood with kids.

Last edited by cyco on Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:58 pm 

cyco wrote:
homestar is supossed to be clean.

Isn't "screw all ya'll" a swear? If not, my friend is a big fat lair!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:26 pm 

Some people think "damn" and "crap" are cursing. People have different standards. In the end, it really doesn't matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:38 pm 

Quote:
Some people think "*" and "crap" are cursing. People have different standards. In the end, it really doesn't matter.
It's nice to draw a definate line, though. Especially on the internet, where evryone seems to want to "be as bad as they can be" so much of the time.

'Screw all y'all' was too strong for homestar, along with 'the bird.' I like the more innocent ones, I gotta be honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:58 pm 

Wait.. did the bb censor my post or did Tom? Oh well.

You're right, lumberjack; I, too, prefer when the toons stay squeaky clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:01 pm 
Resident Deity

InterruptorJones wrote:
Wait.. did the bb censor my post or did Tom? Oh well.

You're right, lumberjack; I, too, prefer when the toons stay squeaky clean.

Wasn't me. However, I know for a fact that the bb sensor only does that for three words...

And I agree. I like the clean stuff too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:05 pm 

Homestar has always straddled the edge as far as language goes, I think. I remember once my aunt (who is Korean and not a native speaker of English) walked in while I was showing some kids the Strong Bad is in Jail cartoon, and they were talking about the Poopsmith and Strong Bad said "Holy crap!", so my aunt said in her thick accent, "This cartoon has F words in it!" :p

It's certain that some parents wouldn't want their kids watching H*R as it is, considering I wasn't even allowed to write "Robuttnik" (a name that Sonic always called Dr. Robotnik in old cartoons) on a little Sonic the Hedgehog picture I did in the sixth grade. Well, I was allowed to write it, of course, but I couldn't put it up on the wall.

But, yeah, "Screw all y'all", "What the f" (from Trevor the Vampire), "K'n'F'n'C"...swearing is nothing new to Homestar Runner, so long as it's very mild or subversive. I don't have any problems with keeping it that way. Just so long as it doesn't turn into South Park.

- Kef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:06 pm 

That TGS was hilarious!

3 noses?

Did anyone else find the easter egg at the end?

marco
polo
fish out of water!
dag

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:24 pm 
Resident Deity

kazuki wrote:
Did anyone else find the easter egg at the end?

Uh... you know we have a wiki, right?

Decemberween Teen Girl Squad/EasterEggs

Everything you ever wanted to know about Homestar Runner and more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:12 pm 

I missed the swearing discussion. I don't think it matters about H*R including the word "crap" in their website. That word has been copied and redone by a lot of flash artists who maintain a clean image. Joseph Blanchette, the Legendary Frog, is a good example. The fact of the matter is, wherever you go on t'internet to find cartoons, you'll find cartoons that have a certain controversial air to them. Happy Tree Friends has a mixed reception of people who think it is barbaric and sick, and people who think that it's not as bad as some of the other stuff shown on daytime TV. I don't think that Homestar Runner needs to cut out the "crap"-talk, as it has become something of a trademark, and even if Weelchair guy did say the three letter word that can also describe a type of donkey, that isn't technically a *BIG* swear word. I heard it in a Pokemon song once, to proceed: "Good luck with Muk and it's poison gas." This was when I was eleven, mind. I haven't associated with Pokemon for years.

Oh, and I don't think Homestar Runner will be clean if it has a guy whose job is to shovel around a big, steaming pile of visible excrement. Think about that.

(Note to stop me being flamed: To the guys who prefer it clean, no offense. Your opinion is fair and just. Please don't flame me.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:00 am 

Strong Lad wrote:
Joseph Blanchette, the Legendary Frog, is a good example.

"Let's all do the Chicken Dance!" Man, that Zelda cartoon is the funniest thing ever...

Strong Lad wrote:
Happy Tree Friends has a mixed reception of people who think it is barbaric and sick, and people who think that it's not as bad as some of the other stuff shown on daytime TV.

Honestly, I don't find Happy Tree Friends funny. I really don't find that "Rejected" thing funny either, but most of my friends think both are hilarious. I think it just depends on your particular sense of humor.

Strong Lad wrote:
This was when I was eleven, mind. I haven't associated with Pokemon for years.

Too bad-- Pokémon is a great game. I still love it and I'm 20. I collect the cards, too. "Gotta catch 'em all!"

Final Fantasy; it consumes my life...
"Roll the dice to see if I'm getting drunk!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:10 pm 

Lots of good stuff. We finally have a Sweet Cuppin' Cakes cartoon!

I think that the (very cute) little girl won. :20x6: