Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1737 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: FOOTBALL!!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:35 pm 
Pizza Pizza

So, the NFL and College seasons are starting up.
I can't wait to see Favre erase the horrible season they had last year.
USC is going to be revealed for the lucky dogs they are.
My Western Kentucky Hilltoppers are going to PWN Division 1-AA.

Who's ready for some football?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:38 pm 

I'm ready for some football!

Pats all the way, baby. It's time to continue the dynasty. *rubs hands together*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:41 pm 

If the Lions miraculously get the best record, all four teams from Detroit will have had it this year. Maybe they won't do that, but they'll at least be better than last year with their new coach and everything.
And as for college, my favorite team is Michigan, but I don't watch them quite as much (I love college football, possibly more than the NFL, it's just harder to keep up with).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:49 pm 
Pizza Pizza

Acekirby wrote:
I'm ready for some football!

Pats all the way, baby. It's time to continue the dynasty. *rubs hands together*

3 World Championships is hardly a dynasty...
If it were, they'd have to make up a new word to call the Packers' 11 World Championships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:56 pm 

Hey, they considered the Cowboys' one a dynasty. A dynasty is more of a time when one team wins over a period of time, too.

The Packers' dynasty was back in the '60s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:00 pm 
Pizza Pizza

Acekirby wrote:
Hey, they considered the Cowboys' one a dynasty.

One man's dynasty is another man's crackheads.. :-P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:43 pm 

Quote:

1. Favre is done. D-O-N-E. No one will draft him on their Fantasy NFL teams. Your waiting will be in vain.

2. USC lost two Heisman trophy winners to the NFL. Not sure that a drop-off this year will mean they were lucky dogs last year.

3. Div 1-AA? Are you crazy? Who cheers for a Div 1-AA unless they go to school there?

4. BYU will win the Mountain West Conference and Ohio State will win the NC.

5. I wish there was a playoff in Div I-A. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:28 pm 

lahimatoa wrote:
StrongRad wrote:
3. Div 1-AA? Are you crazy? Who cheers for a Div 1-AA unless they go to school there?
Umm...Raddy went there.

lahimatoa wrote:
I'm sorry my Mormon friend, but us Catholics have a problem with that second statement. Notre Dame will return to wear they belong: The Best College Football Team in History. Notre Dame will get their 12th National Title and Brady Quinn will get Notre Dame's 8th Heisman Trophy winner this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:28 pm 
Pizza Pizza

lahimatoa wrote:
Quote:

1. Favre is done. D-O-N-E. No one will draft him on their Fantasy NFL teams. Your waiting will be in vain.

2. USC lost two Heisman trophy winners to the NFL. Not sure that a drop-off this year will mean they were lucky dogs last year.

5. I wish there was a playoff in Div I-A. :(

First off. Favre isn't done until Favre says he's done. He's what you'd get if Jack Bauer, Chuck Norris, Bruce Willis, and Clint Eastwood all collided and fused together with a sporting goods store. For what it's worth, he's going to be drafted as my backup QB. If last weekend was any sort of indication, he found "MVP Favre" (granted, that was against the Falcons' second or third string, but it was with his second or third string). If the Packers' O-Line can protect him, he'll do things that only Brett Favre can do.

You answered number 3 with number 5.

While I cheer for Western Kentucky because I am a WKU Alumnus, that has no real effect on how I follow 1-AA football. I've always thought 1-AA was way better than 1A. There's no controversy about who is champion. The players, not some computer, decide who wins. You win the right to be called national champion because you win it. Not because you happen to be the media's golden child. That's the way it should be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:02 pm 

I agree that Favre is done. I know someone who's a big Packers fan and he always talks about how he can't wait for Favre to retire... I just don't see him having a good season. Of course, my football two cents is like, maybe two yen or two Canadian cents at the most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:15 pm 

StrongRad wrote:
Acekirby wrote:
Hey, they considered the Cowboys' one a dynasty.

One man's dynasty is another man's crackheads.. :-P
And they will comeback and reclaim their throne.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:06 am 

Quote:
I'm sorry my Mormon friend, but us Catholics have a problem with that second statement. Notre Dame will return to wear they belong: The Best College Football Team in History. Notre Dame will get their 12th National Title and Brady Quinn will get Notre Dame's 8th Heisman Trophy winner this year.

I can't really disagree there, because I debated putting either Ohio St. or Notre Dame for about 10 minutes... it's close. Notre Dame has a very good team. I just think they'll stumble a couple times... tough schedule this year.

Quote:
While I cheer for Western Kentucky because I am a WKU Alumnus, that has no real effect on how I follow 1-AA football. I've always thought 1-AA was way better than 1A. There's no controversy about who is champion. The players, not some computer, decide who wins. You win the right to be called national champion because you win it. Not because you happen to be the media's golden child. That's the way it should be.

Talent level my friend, talent level. Div 1-A is much faster, stronger, etc. More fun to watch, IMO. One day, a playoff will make it to Div 1-A and I will have the best of both worlds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:15 am 

I'm ready for some football. I'm already playing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:26 am 

Ha... I played football... for a year... in sixth grade. It was fun, but now I stick with running cross. It's more better for tiny people who can't lift very much weight. I played safety and cornerback, but little kids in 6th grade hardly ever throw passes so all I ever did was tackle people, and our team was good so people hardly ever even made it back to me anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:33 am 

Since I'm from Arizona, and we have the Cardinals, I'm not that intrested because we usually lose over 50% of our games. Are draft pick was ok though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:36 am 

The Cardinals will be just fine. I think Warner has a couple more good years in him, and your wide receiver core rocks. Larry Fitzgerald will be amazing. And with picking up Edgerrin James, your rushing attack will improve a lot.

Defense I don't know as much about, but the offense should be fun to watch, if nothing else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:50 am 

I'm ready for some Footballin'! I'm really exited to see Carson Palmer playing again. He's not able to perform to his optimum potential, but at least he's out on the field again.
I don't think the Bengals are gonna be as good as they were last year, but it's a big improvement from where they were before. WHO DEY! :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:06 am 

Bengals look good tonight... yes it's preseason, but still... Palmer looks like he's 100% healed from the injury of last postseason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:27 am 

I'm a Bears fan, so this season won't be any bit eventful for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:27 am 
Pizza Pizza

Well, tonight wasn't a grand night for the packers. Oh well, Favre didn't want to overshadow Carson Palmer's return.

FYI, I watched the game with 4 Bengals fans. They were polite (mainly because I was dissing the way the Packers were playing worse than they were).

The only good thing about the game were the cheese coneys with REAL Skyline Chili (not stuff out of the can, stuff brought from Cincy today) and Genuine Wisconsin Cheddar cheese, and, of course, the Shiner Bock cold ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:22 am 

Here's my bold, fearless prediction for Super Bowl 41 (XLI?): Denver and Carolina. Let's face it, as a San Francisco fan, I've already accepted the fact that they're going to be terrible.
Sparkle, I think the Bears will be decent. As long as that defense stays healthy, they'll have a shot to win each week.
I don't know as much about college football. USC's lost so much and Texas will have to scramble for an identity without Young, so let's go with Notre Dame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:16 pm 

Yeah! Whoo-hoo! Season starts on my birthday!

I'll be rooting for the underdogs and not the Pats or any of those big shot guys. Like the Bills or Cleveland Indians.

Yes, that last remark was intentional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:02 pm 
Pizza Pizza

Artvandelay wrote:
Here's my bold, fearless prediction for Super Bowl 41 (XLI?): Denver and Carolina. Let's face it, as a San Francisco fan, I've already accepted the fact that they're going to be terrible.
Sparkle, I think the Bears will be decent. As long as that defense stays healthy, they'll have a shot to win each week.
I don't know as much about college football. USC's lost so much and Texas will have to scramble for an identity without Young, so let's go with Notre Dame.

P-sha... Bengals v. Giants, and Carson Palmer will single-handedly score 3 touchdowns in the big game. He's the bionic man.
The Packers will lose to the Giants in the NFC Championship (despite a fantastic game by Brett Favre, with Favre throwing for 4 touchdowns).
Hey, it could happen. It WILL happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:19 pm 

Well, I've always liked the Dolphins

And I've been a fan of the Steelers. Not just becaus ethey just won the Superbowl, either, i've always been a fan of them.

Anyone here interested in the CFL? I find it shocking that Ricky Williams (Dolphins running back I believe.) Is doing so terrible with the Toronto Argonauts... Looks like he's not all that when he's clean (He's been caught using drugs on several occasions)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:10 pm 

Go Seahawks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:03 pm 

Will my CAROLINA GAMECOCKS stand up.
i cant wait til this thursday
mississipii is going DOWN.
GO GAMECOCKS>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:25 pm 

Ah, Football. The point of my existance. The only thing above Homestar Runner on my list of Greatest Things in the World. The best sport ever. Oh, how I love my football.

Okay, well, College football I don't really have much to say other than this:
lahimatoa wrote:
4. BYU will win the Mountain West Conference

Nope, wrong, sorry, not a chance. My New Mexico Lobos are an obvious lock to win the Mountain West! :p

Okay, now my NFL division champion predictions...

AFC East: Miami Dolphins. Let's face it, the New England Patriots' dynasty is over. They're still a good team, but they can't stay on top of the division forever. And if you'll remember, the Dolphins were only one game behind the Patriots at the end of the year, and they closed out the season by winning 6 straight games, so I expect the Dolphins to clinch the AFC East this year.

AFC North: This one's tough. As I'm sure some of you know, I'm a diehard Pittsburgh Steelers fan, who I might add won the Super Bowl. But the Cincinnatti Bengals won the division last year, and they're obviously a good team. The same can be said about the Steelers, but their winless pre-season up till now has me a tad worried. It'll definetely be close, but I'm gonna have to follow my fandom and go with the Steelers.

AFC South: Indianapolis Colts. No suprise here, the Colts are obviously a good team, and I don't think the Jaguars have what it takes to beat them.

AFC West: Kansas City Chiefs. I may have some doubt about this one. I don't think the Chargers or the Raiders have much of a shot, so it's between the Chiefs and the Broncos. I think the Chiefs are going to have a good season, with Larry Johnson leading them. For some reason, I don't think the Broncos were quite as good as their record was last season. Well, we'll see.

NFC East: This one's definetely tricky. You have the Giants, coming from a division title last year, the Redskins finishing the season strong to get a wild card spot, the Cowboys who were just short of the playoffs last season, and the Eagles, now with a healthy Donovan McNabb. I guess I'll have to go with the Giants, just for lack of a better option.

NFC North: Minnesota Vikings. Now this division's not an easy one to predict, but I think that the Lions won't do much better than they usually do, and the Packers aren't going anywhere upward. That leaves the Bears, who won the division last year, but I just don't think they're a consistant enough offensive team to win it again, so I choose the Vikings by default.

NFC South: Carolina Panthers. This one's easy for me. The Panthers are clearly a really good team, and I think they're the best bet for NFC Champions this year.

NFC West: Seattle Seahawks. While I think the Cardinals will improve, the Seahawks are still the team to beat.

Well, that's all I got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:57 am 

I should add, too, on the topic of college football that my hometown Boise State team is on the rise. The first game's tonight and they're leading Sacramento State in a warmup game 38-0.
And how about North Arizona? 14-14 tie at the half with a top 25 school at ASU. Good for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:14 am 

NAU never got enough attention because ASU is in phoeniex, and U of A has some REALLY good classes. If i cant get into USD or a Ivy School, (I dont even care if its University of Pennslyvania, apologies to people from Philly!) I will go to U of A. Anyway, I hope NAU does good. Go Lumberjacks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:14 am 
Pizza Pizza

Artvandelay wrote:
I should add, too, on the topic of college football that my hometown Boise State team is on the rise. The first game's tonight and they're leading Sacramento State in a warmup game 38-0.
And how about North Arizona? 14-14 tie at the half with a top 25 school at ASU. Good for them.

Hoooray for blue fields!!!!

Man, that thing freaks me out. Seriously. Who ever heard of blue turf?!?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1737 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 58  Next