Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: SMOKING-the deadly habit
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:49 pm 

Now I hope this isn't ABP'd, I know it's a really touchy subject, and some people don't like those warning signals, but I'd just like to say that its really unhealthy and that you shouldn't put this tar in your lungs. Even if I've never met you just try to go cold turkey don't do this, I mean do you know what's in a cigarette, all those ingredients are really bad for anyone. If you do it for way too long you could die or maybe you'd have a hole put in your throat or have your toungue cut out. Not only are you endangering your life you're endangering others, second hand smoke, It kills people. I know it's really hard to cut it off but for the good of yourself and others, try, try to stop. That's all I ask, what are your opinions, when it really comes down to it, it's your decision.

Post subject: Re: SMOKING-the deadly, deadly, deadly, deadly, deadly habit
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:04 pm 

buhubs wrote:
Now I hope this isn't ABP'd, I know it's a really touchy subject, and some people don't like those warning signals, but I'd just like to say that its really unhealthy and that you shouldn't put this tar in your lungs. Even if I've never met you just try to go cold turkey don't do this, I mean do you know what's in a cigarette, all those ingredients are really bad for anyone. If you do it for way too long you could die or maybe you'd have a hole put in your throat or have your toungue cut out. Not only are you endangering your life you're endangering others, second hand smoke, It kills people. I know it's really hard to cut it off but for the good of yourself and others, try, try to stop. That's all I ask, what are your opinions, when it really comes down to it, it's your decision.

I know what you mean, my grandpa died of lung cancer 11 years ago. From what I've heard though, second-hand smoke has had more studies done that say it's not harmful than not...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:07 pm 

I think it's interesting that we've outlawed suicide, but as conscious beings who understand the lethal effects of cigarette smoking, it remains legal. I mean, when you get right down to it, isn't smoking just a form of long-term suicide (and homicide for second-hand smokers)? If so, then why wouldn't it be outlawed? As cynical as it might sound, I think the main reason would be money. A big corporation can make thousands--possibly of hundreds of thousands--off of one smoker over the course of his lifetime, but if the same guy chooses to kill himself by buying a gun and a single bullet, the profit for the corporation drops significantly. Big business can make a lot more money by killing its consumers slowly than by killing them quickly.

FOR PONY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:08 pm 

I think smoking is okay. I wouldn't do it, but if people want to get cancer and stuff, I don't really care. Better then getting drunk and killing themselves in a car crash. Besides, it helps farmers make monies and stuff.

I don't believe in the second hand smoke thing, either. You could get a little sick from it, but second hand smoke isn't as bad as people say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:21 pm 

PianoManGidley wrote:
outlawed suicide

Lol, what're they gonna do, arrest your corpse?

America's lawmakers in action.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:49 pm 

The major issue isn't whether people should smoke, it's smoking in public places. There are a lot of tobacco lobbyists and tobacco industry funded studies claiming that second hand smoke is harmless, but the overall scientific consensus remains that it is harmful. It is definitely harmful to asthmatics and people with smoke allergies. I think that alone is reason for public bans.

Mike

P.S. Urban legend alert: suicide was decriminalized long ago in the U.S. The laws that did once exist were never enforced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:17 am 

Location: Trapped inside a cage. It isn't even locked, but I'm an idiot.
I think you might need a few more "deadlies" in your topic title.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:30 am 

I just want to get the message across

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:05 am 

Location: Trapped inside a cage. It isn't even locked, but I'm an idiot.
I think the message has gotten across just fine without you calling it a deadly^5 habit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:36 am 

Simon Zeno wrote:
PianoManGidley wrote:
outlawed suicide

Lol, what're they gonna do, arrest your corpse?

America's lawmakers in action.

Huh...well, I had been told it was illegal to attempt suicide (obviously successfully committing suicide puts the perpetrator outside the reach of the law)...but after looking into it more, I'm not finding any laws against it.

FOR PONY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:19 pm 

We all know smoking is deadly.

I highly doubt that this topic on a message board about a cartoon on the internet is going to convince someone completely to not smoke, or convince a smoker to quit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:22 pm 

I have to agree with Mike that it's more of in public places. I have my idea that it's up to the restauraunt, store, etc. whether or not to allow smoking. Instead, the town, city, state, and country has to butt in and make all the desicions for them without secon thought about what they, and the people think. I know it's bad and harmful, but if they want to smoke in a restauraunt, they can choose to do it. Why ELSE is there a smoking section in restauraunts? For decoration?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:56 am 

There are all these smoking laws in Australia, like you can't smoke at a station, or anywhere where food is served. It's pretty good. Smoking is just bad. The reason it's not illegal or anything is because of money, like Mr Piano said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:59 am 

i don't know why people smoke. i mean, the smell of a smoking addict's car is quite horrible, so how can you put it straight in your lungs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:50 pm 

I think it's curiosity and insecurity, when you see someone do it, you really want to do it too, once again peer pressure unsaves the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:13 am 

meh, i think you're partly right, buhubs. peer pressure has something to do with it for young people. but then again, i've never been forced or pressured into trying it by my smoking friends. i think a lot of it has to do with this: it's a substance that alters your chemistry. nicotine feels good, and after a while becomes chemically part of your system. sure, people can quit, but its difficult. so yeah, sure, it is terrible, and even suicidal. i dont like when my friends do, and i don't do it, but such is the nature of personal agency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:22 am 

In response to the original post: smokers are most definitely aware of the dangers of smoking and they get really sick of hearing about them. Even though you may have the best intentions, evangelizing to a smoker about the virtues of not smoking usually comes off as rude. Not saying that your post itself is rude, but it's best to avoid that sort of situation. :)

- Kef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:35 pm 

If smokers know what they're doing to themselves, then why don't they quit?

"I'm gonna get cancer. *puff* I should probably stop. *puff* I just need another roll of nickels and I'll hit the jackpot on this thing!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:38 pm 

IantheGecko wrote:
If smokers know what they're doing to themselves, then why don't they quit?

Why don't you ask them? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:09 pm 

Smokers should speak for themselves; they don't need you to tell me what they think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:12 pm 

It just shows how badly drugs affect your brain...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:48 pm 

I know, I mean when I was interviewing people on the street for this smoking survey for homework I accidentally caught someone in the middle of a cigarette. He wouldn't even answer me he just pointed all over my papaer saying "what does this mean?" and then he left. Brain damage I presume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:07 pm 

IantheGecko wrote:
Smokers should speak for themselves; they don't need you to tell me what they think.

Isn't that pretty much what I said? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:21 pm 

IantheGecko wrote:

That's why he told you to ask them.

But as someone who has a smoker for a mother his whole life, I can tell you that Kef is right. Every time I've ever told her to stop smoking and why, she rolls her eyes and groans.

They know its dangerous, but won't stop because they're addicted and it "feels good" to them. Why do you think people continue to do any drug?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:19 am 

thanks ace, that's exactly what i was going to say. some people are more interested in the pleasures of the immediate than their long-term health.

it's not something i'm interested in, but it isn't really fair for me to force my values on anyone else.

and just to play devil's advocate, buhubs, sometimes people are just busy, or rude, or bad at talking to strangers. in fact, i don't smoke and i probably wouldn't have been terribly interested in any kind of survey if i was on my way to class or on a break from work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:02 pm 

I found this comic to be very informative as to the risks of smoking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:53 pm 

I don't get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:37 am 

well, smoking is a deadly habbit, but banning smoking in bars and in non-designated areas outside is prejiduce. Smokers should be able to smoke outside, or in bars, because in a bar, if your not hitting on chicks, your either drinking,watching the game, or smoking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:06 am 

Choc-o-Lardiac Arrest wrote:
well, smoking is a deadly habbit, but banning smoking in bars and in non-designated areas outside is prejiduce. Smokers should be able to smoke outside, or in bars, because in a bar, if your not hitting on chicks, your either drinking,watching the game, or smoking.

Prejudice is defined as:

1. a. An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.
    b. A preconceived preference or idea.
  2. The act or state of holding unreasonable preconceived judgments or convictions.
  3. Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion.
  4. Detriment or injury caused to a person by the preconceived, unfavorable conviction of another or others.

Explain to me how banning smoking in bars is any of those. I see nothing wrong with banning smoking in public places. People should be allowed to go to a bar without being subjected to secondhand smoke. If someone wants to smoke, let them do it at home, where they're only poisoning themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:55 pm 

Exhibit A wrote:
People should be allowed to go to a bar without being subjected to secondhand smoke. If someone wants to smoke, let them do it at home, where they're only poisoning themselves.

I have asthma, I hate it when people smoke, but I say they should be allowed to smoke in designated areas, such as bars and certain sections of resturaunts...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next