Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:57 pm 

puphles wrote:
I mean, I was a little shorter than I would have liked it

That's kind of funny, because I thought it was rather long on the first runthrough, but as I watched it again, it seemed really short.

IMO, this email was great, but not awesome (awesome in my opinion being "for kids"). I liked the origin of Strong Sad's belly button, and I also like the explanation of the absence of Senor and Mr. Bland...

7.5/10

TOTPD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:04 pm 

Funny, it seemed pretty long to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:29 pm 

THat was very good. I would've liked to see an easter egg for "lotionman" though :-)

8/10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:39 pm 

Senor Havin' a Little Trouble- ingenious!

By far, this was the best email of the Lappy era. With the "Some Award"-winning book, the origin of Strong Sad's belly button, the death of Senor and Mr. Bland, bread songs, chaindancing, spraypainting, Homsar, a ghetto gangsta club behind the concession stand, and the KOT with a dunce cap, it definitely racks up a perfect score! This reminds me much of the latest TGS- no matter where you turn, there's a little joke around every corner. Absolutely impossible to stop laughing!

Let's have a moment of silence for Strong Sad's buttonless stomach...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:51 pm 

According to my calculations, it was pretty short in comparison to the last few emails:

123 - 3:20
122 - 3:41
121 - 3:30
120 - 4:01
119 - 4:02
118 - 4:04
117 - 3:09

(I got bored.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:59 pm 

Location: Next to that SPIDER ON YOUR SHOULDER! Ha, made ya look.
Better than virus. It gets a 10/10 in my book. That was excellent. Homsar and Marzipan.

Check out my tale, and I promise to start posting again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:00 am 

That was the best Homsar quote ever.

"I'm the human weeedgie..."

- Sifl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:00 am 

DeeHomsarro wrote:
That was the best Homsar quote ever.

"I'm the human weeedgie..."

I thought it was a fun touch how Homsar was upside down, and his hat flew off of him and landed on Marzipan. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:03 am 

This email seemed much more polished than some of the others. I wonder if the extra week helped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:25 am 

A solid email. So that's what happened to Senor and Mr Bland, for all those who have previously asked. The Ewww Claire, Why? book was good, Lil StrongBad with the drill cracked me up and I liked the shaking green words.
I couldn't really understand HR's bread singalongs very well, but they made sense after I read the wiki.
A little disappointed that there were only 2 eggs..... but I think it was worth the extra week.

9/tennis

Post subject: Disappointed
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:57 am 

I waited two weeks and was sorely disappointed (mostly because the "dreammail" also wasn't up to par). I guess the "virus" e-mail set a new standard for me to compare episodes with. I have to agree with whoever said it feels like the TBC are forcing their humor now. It would be much better if they didn't focus so much on Strongbad - you have to run out of punchlines somewhere along the way.

Another answering machine would be a great way to get away from Strongbad and to develop Marzipan. The last answering machine was 5 to 7 months ago.

Strongbad is almost over-developed - that is because he has a specific section of the site to work on. He's got plenty of content already. Homestar is, more or less, well worked on through Strongbad - but only indirectly. Marzipan is getting there. The rest of the characters are just supporting roles. TBC seems to have a good idea on what gets people to visit the site once they find it - then they settle in on what works at the future cost of lack of innovation. Homestar is slowly getting relegated to the background merely because Strongbad is so prominent and carries about 75% of the site's content. I know a bunch of people really like Pom-Pom, Homsar, Coach Z, the Cheat, Bubs, and Strongmad and can't get enough of them just because there isn't sufficient content. Strongsad was actually interesting in the jail episode and downright hilarious in the radio and coffee e-mails, but is otherwise _too_ whiny for many people. The king of town is great for the official gross-out factor. The problem is that Strongbad is the only fully-developed character on the site and has the feel that he is the ONLY character there. Each character should have their own section on the site that they get to develop. This would allow TBC to cycle through and always have fresh material on hand. They would, of course, have the occassional flop, just like paper cartoonists, but it would be remedied more or less.

Just an idea.

(BTW, Homsar would make for a great "kid-safe" section of the site. Play with parent's minds everywhere when kids start quoting: "iiiiii'mmma fruitcake. Lemonade goes great with horseshoes!")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:08 am 

it was a good email but i agrree with SpecialSauce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:08 am 

it was a good email but i agrree with SpecialSauce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:40 am 

*cough* DOUBLE POST *cough*

INVADERTK wrote:
Better than virus. It gets a 10/10 in my book. That was excellent. Homsar and Marzipan.

I'm not sure i'd say it was better than virus, but it was definately VERY good! I loved the Cheat chain dancing! :cheatgrin:

Like, fangoriously world-class!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:51 am 

Location: All the way on the other side of the internet. Really.
Let's see here...My weird scoring system:

Every e-mail gets at least a 5. Unless it really stank. BADLY.

+1 for the Strong Sad's bellybutton thing. It had me laughing for a while. :sad:

+3 for the Homsar quote! Best one yet! "I'm a human wedgie..." :homsar:

+1 for the thing about Senor and Mr. Bland. I wondered what happened to them.

+.5 for each easter egg, which makes plus 1 point.

TOTAL: 11/10

Grade? A+ in my "book".

Not that I have a "book"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:14 am 

It bugs me how people judge things by major events. "Best Lappy E-mail" "Best E-mail sences Virus" etc. What about just as an e-mail? Without comparing it to anything, I give it a 9/10. I really hate when people go "TBC has be going down hill sience (crappy spelling) virus." So they've been making some 'late nighters'. Look, it's great that they get an ad-free site up, doing it only for laughs and because they like it. I don't think they do it just for money from T-Shirt sales. They do this in their free time. I'd like to see any of you make and upkeep a site, that's better than H*R. [/end rant]

Anyway, I have to agree with the guy who said stuff about making more sections for characters. Pom-pom definatly needs to come out of hidding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:22 am 

Location: Somewhere...I'm not quite sure, come to think of it.
Another Fan wrote:
I liked it. And I'm glad they finnally said something about all the origins emails. They were getting annoying.

Agreed. Not only did they address those dumb origins questions we always hear, but they addressed their non-addressal of other questions. I think it was Woody Allen or one of that group who said "It takes a great comedian to be able to make fun of himself" or something like that.

9/10

CB wrote:
It bugs me how people judge things by major events. "Best Lappy E-mail" "Best E-mail sences Virus" etc. What about just as an e-mail? Without comparing it to anything, I give it a 9/10. I really hate when people go "TBC has be going down hill sience (crappy spelling) virus." So they've been making some 'late nighters'. Look, it's great that they get an ad-free site up, doing it only for laughs and because they like it. I don't think they do it just for money from T-Shirt sales. They do this in their free time. I'd like to see any of you make and upkeep a site, that's better than H*R. [/end rant]

Anyway, I have to agree with the guy who said stuff about making more sections for characters. Pom-pom definatly needs to come out of hidding.

Right on. I truly cannot think of an overall better-run and consistently funny site. And yes, TBC needs to bring Pom-Pom back. They brought Senor and Mr. Bland back here, but we need a new Pom-Pom related cartoon or email. I personally love the email pom-pom and wish TBC would do that sorta thing again.

http://sataneatscheezwhiz.blogspot.com
My Blog ^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:25 am 

I guess what mostly gets me about the constant comparisons to virus is, while it was a landmark toon both in style and content, I don't really consider it to be a "best ever, period" sort of thing. And of course, comparing all the newer emails to virus is just foolish, since virus had a far more different sense of humor than most any toon on the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:32 am 

CB wrote:
I don't think they do it just for money from T-Shirt sales. They do this in their free time. I'd like to see any of you make and upkeep a site, that's better than H*R.

I'm not saying i don't agree with you, but TBC actually do this for a living. I mean, i don't think they're just in it for the money, i just wanted to point out that this is their job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:05 am 

Hilarious Email. 10/10. But you guys are right, I think we all agree that The Bros. Chaps have avoided using Pomx2 :pom: :pom: for a while. And have you guys noticed that they don't use The Poopsmith much either? But then, he shovels crap, so you can't do much with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:19 am 

Hey... that's one good email...
The origin of Bubs' Concession Stand is a reference to Strong bad email #100 "Flashback." I'm sure you guys already know that, though.... :rolleyes:
I thought Homestar's songs are so funny!!!!!!!!
Favorite quote: ─xBread is a good time for me!♦▄ (Sorry, I was playing with the secret symbols on my computer's keyboard.... super secret...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:24 am 

Hilarious.

TBC are totally back on "form" again. Even though the last couple of ones when they weren't weren't that bad either.

So, i'd definaly throw in my hat with the majority on this matter.

Anyone who could say this email was not good, is really either being excessivly negitive, looking for reasons to hate on new toons, or has been completly spoiled by their favorites like virus and such.

Becuase quite honestly, the humor on this one is almost EXACTLY right back at the level of the era of "suntan" and "sibbie". Maybe even slightly better than that.

And as long as emails keep coming out like this one that flow nicely, and provide lots of new and original laughs, and deliver the steady stream of well deserved chuckles, I, (and most all of the hr fans in general) will continue to be pleased.

Keep em comin, TBC, and disregard the naysayers. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:56 am 

Jack Selby wrote:
Hilarious Email. 10/10. But you guys are right, I think we all agree that The Bros. Chaps have avoided using Pomx2 :pom: :pom: for a while. And have you guys noticed that they don't use The Poopsmith much either? But then, he shovels crap, so you can't do much with him.

They haven't used Pom Pom in an E-mail for a while, but he was in the latest Teen Girl Squad (and not even in an Easter Egg).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:56 am 

I thought that it was a good, solid email. I liked the part with young Strong Bad (with Tompkins' voice), and the Senor and Mr. Bland appearance.
All in all, I give it a 9 out of 10.

Post subject: Re: Disappointed
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:31 pm 

SpecialSauce wrote:
Each character should have their own section on the site that they get to develop. This would allow TBC to cycle through and always have fresh material on hand.

Well Strong Sad has the Sad Journal, for what it's worth. Although I don't think every character could carry their own section. What would you do for them all? They can't all answer email. That said, I agree Strong Bad is carrying too much - more cartoons with a more diverse range of lead characters would be a good thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:40 pm 

Even Better than I hoped 9/10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:15 pm 
Lechable Robot Mod

I thought it was awesome, and definitely worth the wait. I loved Homsar glued to Marzipan's head, and especially StrongBad's "in order to actually leave them for dead, and not just hang around them for dead", or whatever. The irony of meat being spraypainted on Marzipan - gold. Li'l StrongBad in a truck t-shirt? Great. Homestar's bread songs? So weird they're great. And I love when StrongBad clearly gets frustrated with the sender of the email, like when he refuses to answer their exact questions. Strong Sad's artificial belly-button was weird, though. Does this mean he's not a mammal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:21 pm 

I also loved Homsar glued to Marzipan. It's so weird!

I guess you have to have a certain kind of humor to like these cartoons. My sister likes them, but when she watches an e-mail (like this one), I never hear her laugh, but when I watch them, I laugh out loud. Or maybe my sister is just really, really dumb.

She didn't even laugh at the bread songs. I thought that would make her laugh, for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:29 pm 

Lil Strong Bad and Tompkins seem to have a lot in common. They both sound simmilar, they wear a shirt with a truck (or truk) on it and they are both kinda' mean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:13 pm 

Hmm, and interesting little sidenote: In his "fond reminiscences" box, the evidence points to young strong sad already having a belly button during his happy times with strong bad. I guess the drill incident happened prior to this, but that makes you think. I know I probably would be vaguely annoyed if I had a brother who drilled a hole into my stomach.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next