Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 848 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Pick the response that most accurately applies.
I believe in evolution and I am not an atheist. 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
I believe in evolution and I am an atheist. 44%  44%  [ 34 ]
I am a young earth creationist. 13%  13%  [ 10 ]
I am an old earth creationist. 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
I believe in Intelligent Design. 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
I don't know what to believe. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Other. 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 78
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:21 pm 
Pizza Pizza

lahimatoa wrote:
DESTROY US ALL! wrote:
StrongRad wrote:
Now you know how I feel about hearing about Global Warming. The most qualified people really don't talk about it that much.

Wait, Sean Hannity isn't qualified?

Nope. And neither is Al Gore.

Now, to bring it full-circle: Al Gore doesn't seem to believe in evolution. If he did, he wouldn't be worrying about animals dying as a result of warmer temperatures. He'd know that they could just evolve. Unless, of course, that half a degree per century (max) that's been attributed to humans is too much.
Wait... Rather than steer this back on topic, I've pointed towards the waterfall of off-topicness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:03 am 

Barely any American politician or ex-politician would claim to be an evolutionist because of the huge stink all those right-wing talk shows and fundamentalist Christian groups would raise. As for me, I don't care about how we got here, I just care about what will we be doing.

ACCEPT THAT FACT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:42 pm 

I dunno if anyone brought this up, but hey, Creation Museum.

It's literally not even an hour from me, which makes me sad inside.

A few of my friends and I are planning a trip there... for kicks and giggles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:31 pm 
Pizza Pizza

Simon Zeno wrote:

There was a protester on the news last night that said, and I quote "These people have no right to do this. All this museum teaches is closed-minded bigotry and a fear of science. The United States should be a place where everyone can express their views without fear or persecution."

Hypocrisy much?

I'm gonna hold off judgment until I actually see the place (if I ever do).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:03 am 

It has exhibits of dinosaurs and humans coexisting...

I almost want to cry at the ignorance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:28 am 

StrongRad wrote:
Simon Zeno wrote:

There was a protester on the news last night that said, and I quote "These people have no right to do this. All this museum teaches is closed-minded bigotry and a fear of science. The United States should be a place where everyone can express their views without fear or persecution."

Hypocrisy much?

Totally agree. Creationism should be allowed to be expressed just as freely as Evolution. Hopefully, people are smart enough to learn that Creationism isn't science, though, and that Evolution is, and what the key differences are. But hey, I can't think of a better place for Creationism than a museum--a place where you find many remnants of outdated cultural ideals. :-P

FOR PONY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:39 am 

Location: oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Simon Zeno wrote:
It has exhibits of dinosaurs and humans coexisting...

I almost want to cry at the ignorance.

It does, first paragraph of the wiki article.

Gives Christians such as myself a bad name, and I'm very near it as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:11 am 

I wouldn't worry much about the Creation Museum. They're just preaching to the choir. I remain adamant that creation has no place in the science classroom, but privately funded museums can do whatever they want.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:36 am 

Personally, I see no problem with the coexistence of evolution and religion. The Bible cannot be taken literally; all the passages about sheep should tell us that. It some places, it uses metaphors.

Oh, and true story: I once got into a fight with a former NFL player about evolution and creationism.

It just so happens I have a webcomic...
http://forum.hrwiki.org/viewtopic.php?t=10852

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:55 am 

An NFL player, eh? Do tell...sounds like that could be a good story.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:51 pm 

You know, I've always liked the intelligent design argument.

I believe in evolution, but intelligent design is a good way for devout religious people to still believe while not completely ignoring the facts of evolution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:15 am 

Acekirby wrote:

I believe in evolution, but intelligent design is a good way for devout religious people to still believe while not completely ignoring the facts of evolution.

Really? Seems like ID proponents are against Evolution, hence why they want their contrary, non-scientific view of how we came to be taught alongside Evolution in science classrooms. ID, as far as I'm concerned, is little more than a re-naming of Young Earth Creationism so YE Creationists can slip their beliefs under the door into science class by simply removing the most blatant religious references.

FOR PONY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:29 am 

Some Intelligent Design theorists have stated to me that there is a differenceb etween micro-evolution (which humans have observed through history, such as different breeds of dogs developing, due to desirable traits masters looked for in their dogs) and macro-evolution (evolution from one species to another, which they claim humans have never observed.) Can any ID supporters give me the evidence for this claim, or can any Evolutionists "shoot it down", so to speak? I'm curious to see...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:23 pm 

The_Other_White_Meat wrote:
Can any ID supporters give me the evidence for this claim, or can any Evolutionists "shoot it down", so to speak? I'm curious to see...

The thread dipped into this issue not too long ago, actually. Go back to about page 21 and read up from there.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:44 pm 
Pizza Pizza

PianoManGidley wrote:
Acekirby wrote:

Really? Seems like ID proponents are against Evolution, hence why they want their contrary, non-scientific view of how we came to be taught alongside Evolution in science classrooms. ID, as far as I'm concerned, is little more than a re-naming of Young Earth Creationism so YE Creationists can slip their beliefs under the door into science class by simply removing the most blatant religious references.

ID= Young Earth Creationism?
That's totally different than my idea of idea of ID.
I always thought it said "God created everything", not so much "God made everything, as it is, 6000 years ago".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:33 am 

StrongRad wrote:
ID= Young Earth Creationism?
That's totally different than my idea of idea of ID.
I always thought it said "God created everything", not so much "God made everything, as it is, 6000 years ago".

According to Wikipedia, ID's "primary proponents...believe the designer to be the Abrahamic God" and "although intelligent design itself does not name the designer, the personal view of many proponents is that the designer is the Christian god." It's hard to say that ID does NOT equal YE Creationism when the vast bulk of people pushing for ID to be taught as science are Christian YE Creationists themselves. The whole movement was created by YE Creationists working at the Discovery Institute (itself a Christian organization).

Yes, by definition, ID can include any sort of definition of a Creator, but it's easy to see that its originators intended it, through their own beliefs, to be Christianity, and have that taught in schools under the guise of a more encompassing, ambiguous belief.

FOR PONY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:27 am 

Well, speaking of the Creationism museum... my friends and i went there.
It was very... interesting to say the least. We brought cameras along and interviewed protestors and supporters. We made a little documentary about it if you want to check it out its at http://youtube.com/watch?v=2UhbmRCNxIA

we tried to not convey a viewpoint with the video, but we personally thought the museum was pretty ridiculous

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:55 am 

Wow...that one part with the "what would a Godless world be like" display is really hysterical. Nothing but foundationless scare tactics to promote further close-mindedness.

FOR PONY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:56 am 

Lucyinthesky wrote:
Well, speaking of the Creationism museum... my friends and i went there.
It was very... interesting to say the least. We brought cameras along and interviewed protestors and supporters. We made a little documentary about it if you want to check it out its at http://youtube.com/watch?v=2UhbmRCNxIA

we tried to not convey a viewpoint with the video, but we personally thought the museum was pretty ridiculous

Very interesting video, I'm personally an Agnostic who may or may not believe in the Christian God (depending on the day), but I will always think Creation is a bunch of bullhonkey...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:16 am 

That's an interesting way to look at things, White Meat. I would think that, if a person did actually believe in a God (Christian or otherwise) then the idea of creation would make perfect sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:35 am 

Call meh crazy, but this is what I belive for now.

I belive that monkeys are soul less. I belive that humans are with souls. I think that God picked out a monkey and gave it a soul. That monkey just happen to be Adam.

It's kinda hard for some to understand. you'll get it soon enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:44 am 

Didymus wrote:
I would think that, if a person did actually believe in a God (Christian or otherwise) then the idea of creation would make perfect sense.

The idea of some sort of creation might make sense, but that doesn't necessarily mean a literal 6000-year interpretation of Genesis would make sense. For example, it wouldn't make sense for God to go way out of his way to make the planet look 4.6 billion years old if in fact it isn't. It would certainly be within his power, but that doesn't mean it makes sense. And, of course, if you answer "It doesn't have to make sense", well, that could be the answer to everything... it's too convenient.

- Kef

Last edited by furrykef on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:58 am 

Didymus wrote:
I would think that, if a person did actually believe in a God (Christian or otherwise) then the idea of creation would make perfect sense.
I believe in God and I find the Creation Story to be nothing more than a metaphor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:46 pm 

Didymus wrote:
That's an interesting way to look at things, White Meat. I would think that, if a person did actually believe in a God (Christian or otherwise) then the idea of creation would make perfect sense.

As you've noted before, the Creation story has all of the distinctive qualities of a metaphorical Hebrew hymn - I will place my faith in science in terms of how the Earth came about, and make up my own mind on whether God's hand was in it. Just because of the everchanging nature of my faith (or lack thereof), I will place scientific facts before proof for a God.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:25 pm 

Of the three answers I received to that statement, I think only Kef offered a real substantial argument. I'm only saying that if God exists, then something like a 6-day creation is entirely within his power. As for whether he used that specific method or not, I do not feel Christians are entirely obligated to side one way or the other. It does bother me that Christians feel obligated to try to explain Genesis in terms of modern evidences - that is all. Whether he took six days or six minutes or six billion years doesn't really matter to me.

BTG: that's really more a statement about yourself than it is about the subject in question, isn't it, that is, a statement of your own personal beliefs without reference to evidence for or against their validity?

But consider this: if God did create the earth only 6000 years ago, would it really be a matter of deceit on his part if he did it in a way that makes it appear to us to be much older? From his perspective, it might have simply been that certain layers needed to go there, and certain conditions needed to be in place there - completely without reference to how we human beings might perceive them as representing a much older world. In other words, it might be simply a mistake on our part.

Frankly, of all the data of natural history, I find fossil data to be the most challenging to the 6-day creationist view. Living creatures (or formerly so) are a much better indicator of things that must have taken place prior to human history than geology or astronomy. The latter two can be too easily explained by the question I posed above, but fossil data is far too difficult to simply discount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:41 pm 

Richard Dawkins stumped by creationist's question

He was asked to "give an example of a genetic mutation or an evolutionary process which can be seen to increase the information in the genome". They had to edit out the long time he was stumped in order to dodge the question. He's correct that we see around us modern animals, but it doesn't in the least answer her question! Dawkins doesn't have an answer for what he believes the most!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:14 pm 

IantheGecko wrote:
Richard Dawkins stumped by creationist's question

He was asked to "give an example of a genetic mutation or an evolutionary process which can be seen to increase the information in the genome". They had to edit out the long time he was stumped in order to dodge the question. He's correct that we see around us modern animals, but it doesn't in the least answer her question! Dawkins doesn't have an answer for what he believes the most!

Debunked, though even if it weren't poor propaganda put together by YE Creationists, this one point would still stand to reason: Just because one authority on Evolution can't answer one question regarding one detail of Evolution doesn't mean that Evolution as a whole is false.

FOR PONY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:53 pm 

In regards to Intelligent Design, I guess what they told me at my Catholic School is wrong. I thought it was simply the evolutionary theory with the added statement that "God is responsible for it".

I personally believe in the Darwin theory of evolution, but I figured that this was a way for some really devout religious people to preserve some of their creation beliefs without ignoring the incredible amount of evidence that evolution exists.

IantheGecko wrote:
"give an example of a genetic mutation or an evolutionary process which can be seen to increase the information in the genome".

"Increase the information in the genome"? What does that even mean?

Seems to me like it's a poor attempt by reactionary creationists to create anti-evolutionary propaganda by asking a completely ridiculous question in order to confuse a proponent of evolution, then stating "LOOK HE CAN'T EVEN ANSWER THE QUESTION, EVOLUTION IS FALSE!!"

This is a prime example of the reason I get disillusioned with the Church and insanely devout Christians, a situation in which I have discussed here before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:42 pm 

Didymus wrote:
BTG: that's really more a statement about yourself than it is about the subject in question, isn't it, that is, a statement of your own personal beliefs without reference to evidence for or against their validity?
No, it was an answer to your question. I am an exception to the statement you said. I am a Christian, baptized into both the Catholic and Protestant Church, and I believe with every fiber in my being that the Creation Story is nothing more than a metaphor. The idea of the world going from non-existent to full of life in 6 days does not make sense to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:58 pm 

But it's still a statement about YOUR beliefs, not about the credibility of the creation account.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 848 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next