Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Should The Brothers Chaps make a Homestar Runner movie?
Yes 48%  48%  [ 106 ]
No 52%  52%  [ 115 ]
Total votes : 221
 Post subject: Sweet.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:48 am 

I'd picture it to be pointless, full of running gags, & a full 15 minutes long. What's not to love?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gundam or Robotech?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:39 pm 

I've given this some thought... my initial thought was "No way", but now I'm thinking that this should be something they could try. You never know, it could work very well.

Post subject: Hmmm...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:30 am 

well, i love a nice juicy movie to follow up a cartoon like spongebob and KND, and frankly homestar would blow my mind but...

movie's are often a common cause of MAJOR shark jumping. Also it would have to be averagely dramatic and that would be weird...

but the brother chaps seem to be kinda wild lately, actually killing the paper, finalising the DNA evidence, who knows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:43 pm 

Well, a theatrical release (in my opinion) would just kill the series, and a straight too DVD wouldn't be that bad (although spending that much money? - Uh uh), and so the best thing would be on the website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:53 pm 

uh-uh. no. their short toons are pretty good, long toons good, sbemails great, but a movie? nononono. sorry, they probubly cant pull that off! :bubs:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:02 pm 

No. But I was thinking about it...right before seeing Pirates of the Carribbean. Ouch. :sad: I'm evil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:23 am 

If by movie you mean actual movie, then no. If by movie you mean 30 minute long toon, then HECK YES, but I don't think you meant that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:17 am 

I think a short 30 minute cartoon would be good, but like a 2 hour movie. I probably might loses what the storyline is. It would be interesting to see what the come up with for a 2 hour movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:18 am 

It would be cool, but it will never happen...
Also they make short toons, I think it would be to much for them to make a movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:42 am 

Well, I've been thinking and... rather than a movie, what about a four-part miniseries? Four big toons in a row, released every Monday of any one given month, that are each continuations of the previous? Think of the possibilities. We'd get our "movie" without missing any site updates, and the Brothers Chaps could take their time a bit more than otherwise and not have to rush to get a big long movie-esque toon done as soon as possible.

That we could find a hope inside
The safety of this empty place"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:30 am 

Hm, something like that idea could work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:07 pm 

TheJohn wrote:
Well, I've been thinking and... rather than a movie, what about a four-part miniseries? Four big toons in a row, released every Monday of any one given month, that are each continuations of the previous? Think of the possibilities. We'd get our "movie" without missing any site updates, and the Brothers Chaps could take their time a bit more than otherwise and not have to rush to get a big long movie-esque toon done as soon as possible.

I think this is the most plausible suggestion yet. Frankly, while I don't want to rule out the possibility of a decent theater-length Homestar movie entirely, the enterprise would be dubious at best. In order to put Homestar up on the big screen, you'd have to throw out the interactivity, the random nonsense and barely-even-there plots, and the majority of the things that make our favorite internet toon what it is. It's the character personalities that drive a Homestar cartoon, and the character personalities would have to change substantially in order to sustain a two-hour movie. They'd have to have (gasp) depth! And part of the appeal of H*R, at least for me, is that folks like Coach Z and Strong Bad don't need complex motivations or anything like that. And I can't imagine that dragging out a typical H*R plot (e.g. filming a melonade commercial, searching for a missing holiday, or even Strong Bad's arrest and incarceration) for two hours would be anything but grating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:37 am 

EmpressDiva wrote:
welp a movie wouldn't work
#1: TBC said they would never do it

Aw, bummmer!

But yeah. There are several reasons it wouldn't work. It's take one heck of an idea to make a feature film of a usually 5 minute story. I could see a 30 minute TV or DVD special, but that's about it. That'd b cool tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:05 pm 

I would watch it but it wouldn't happen in reality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:45 pm 

well it definitely wouldn't go to theteres but probably go on dvd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:45 pm 

well it definitely wouldn't go to theteres but probably go on dvd :cheatgrin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:15 am 

Everyone has their price. If TBC were offered A-list star pay ($20 million each) I'm sure they would do it in a heartbeat, not that such an offer would ever happen.

But the main thing that people don't want to admit is that the H*R formula really only works in short-form. A feature length movie would run out of steam 10 minutes in and drag the enjoyability factor down significantly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:04 am 

No, they shouldn't. It's good as a web cartoon...not a movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:46 am 

I think a longer toon could work (say a twenty minute short film type of thing), but a full fledged movie-film? I doubt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:53 am 

I think a lot of the humor in Homestarrunner lies in how fast-paced it is - we're never stuck in a single situation or place for more than, say, 2 minutes. A full-fledged movie would remove a lot of the randomness and charm that come from individual, 5 minute toons.

Not to mention the fact that shows turned movies tend to suck. Unless it was based on :senor: . That'd be sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:57 am 

Meh, but if we get a movie (FULL-LENGTH) then we'd have to wait a couple of weeks before. Without an update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:22 am 

Yeah. It'd have to be a one hour cartoon, with all the in-jokes, and universes, characters, and that, straight-to-DVD. I'd buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:53 pm 

I would see IF they make a H*R movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:17 am 

All signs point to yes.
In glorious 2D.

Post subject: Totally would be cool!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:33 pm 

Location: If I told you that it would completely desrtoy the point of a good hide-and-seek game
Hey people who say there shouldnt oviously dont like homstar so much as they say. I doubt they will ever come out with a 1 1/2 movie but i think it would be pretty cool if they had a movie that had the full version of Dangeresqe 1,2 and 3 on it to watch if they were each about 25 min. long. :ehsteve: Eh steve

("-+-")
(")_(") <----- This is bunny. Copy and paste him into your sig to help him achieve world domination.

Post subject: Re: Totally would be cool!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:10 am 

Stinyguy34 wrote:
Hey people who say there shouldnt oviously dont like homstar so much as they say.

Or maybe they just don't think it would work in movie format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:09 am 

It's a good thought, but I don't think they should, an internet cartoon should remain that way. It'll be hard to keep the humour up nonstop for 90+ minutes. However if they do make a move-ee I'll still be one of the first to see it :cheatgrin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:21 pm 

i guess we'll just have to stick to fan made H*R movies[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:37 pm 

No. One word: money.

An hour-and-a-half feature-length movie, even if it's just animated in 2-D, costs millions of dollars. Even if TBC and Missy agreed to do it basically for free, there's still costs like advertising, production and royalties to pay for. All of those little in-joke references to real-world stuff in the cartoons? As a free web-toon nobody cares, but if you're charging money for movie tickets then suddenly the copyright owner of every random real-world reference you make wants a cut, and most copyright prices for commercial movie production aren't cheap. And even then, most people who hold copyrights refuse to let their product be used in a non-positive way. Even Napoleon Dynamite, one of the cheapest movies ever made, cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Now, the cost of the movie is no big deal if you're expecting to turn a huge profit. Let's say TBC manage to obtain a huge loan somehow and pay for all of that. Their odds of making a dime back, or even breaking even, are slim to none. Sure, all of us here at the wiki are enormous Homestar Runner fans. Well, guess what? Most people wouldn't find it funny, or even get it. It's the same problem Mystery Science Theater 3000 had. Was it one of the best shows ever conceived by man? In my opinion, yes. But 98% of the population doesn't give a darn. Esoteric humor goes over a lot of heads, and they're not going to pay to see it. TBC would lose horrifying amounts of money on the project. They're not doing it.

This doesn't even address issues like loss of creative control, the sheer amount of hard drive space needed for such an undertaking, and the cold hard fact that Homestar Runner is presented in the format that it exists in now for a reason: that is simply the best format for the H*R universe. Sure, the movie would have its funny moments, but most of Homestar Runner's humor is either eclectic or made entirely of in-jokes, neither of which can be used in a movie that has to be accessible to new fans and marketed to the lowest common cash-having denominator, where the real numbers and money are.

Add in the fact that TBC have no interest in pursuing this project and it becomes a pipe dream: you can envision that perfect movie all you want, but it won't and shouldn't be made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:03 pm 

Fan-made movies don't need to cost millions of dollars, and we're not talking about a theatrical release here. This could be a straight-to-DVD release, or even just a downloadable release (free or otherwise). And it doesn't need to be an hour and a half.

The main reason I could see why TBC wouldn't want to make a H*R movie is that working on a movie would take away from the time they need to run the site and make the weekly 'toons and SBmails. After all, there's really just the two of them. It's not like they have an animation department to lean on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next