Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:49 pm 

Okay, now that we have the big things taken care of, lets take care of the little things.

More or less: Double Posting, should time between double posts be increased, decreased to an hour or so, or stay the same?

Huge bumps. We don't like them, and alot of times they just respond to something with a "lol, kewl" and nothing relevant at all. How can we prevent this, if the post is relevant does it count?

Bans. Can we appeal a ban? Can we be restricted to a special "Ban appeal board" during bans that only Banned users and admins can use?

This and much more, later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:07 pm 

Choc-o-Lardiac Arrest wrote:
More or less: Double Posting, should time between double posts be increased, decreased to an hour or so, or stay the same?
The limits are already at three hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:38 pm 

Okay, now that we have the big things taken care of, lets take care of the little things.

I don't see anything wrong with the way it is now.

Quote:
Huge bumps. We don't like them, and alot of times they just respond to something with a "lol, kewl" and nothing relevant at all. How can we prevent this, if the post is relevant does it count?

If someone makes a contribution to a thread with no content, then they will be chastised. No need to change the rules here.

Quote:
Bans. Can we appeal a ban? Can we be restricted to a special "Ban appeal board" during bans that only Banned users and admins can use?

This and much more, later.

You can always appeal a ban by contacting an admin or mod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:40 am 

Quote:

Instead of this, I think the admins and mods should open up an email address at some site or another (maybe if JoeyDay lets it onto the @hrwiki.org) and put it in the ban message or whatever (I'm not sure if this is possible) that would be used for ban discussions, ie. correcting a misunderstanding or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:40 am 

I've had some trouble getting a clear response from admins and mods regarding my bans, so that might be a good subject to cover.

I like Noid's idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:54 am 

I don't think we have any problems with the rule as it is, so I don't think it needs to be changed.

EDIT: Responding to COLA's other points now...

I have to admit I've never really liked this forum's preference for reviving old threads instead of doing an ABP'd but old discussion from scratch. I don't think I go to any other forums that do it this way, and I think big threads tend to stifle any potential further discussion. (Their size can be intimidating, and people will have a tendency to not want to revisit parts of the older discussion.) But we've already established a precedent here and I think my voice is in the minority, so unless we have a big poll that says we should change it -- perhaps running such a poll isn't a bad idea -- it probably won't get changed.

I like this idea, more than the e-mail thing. With a board, the alleged victim and the modmins can all discuss the matter together. I don't see that happening with an e-mail-based system.

- Kef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:09 am 

furrykef wrote:

I have to admit I've never really liked this forum's preference for reviving old threads instead of doing an ABP'd but old discussion from scratch. I don't think I go to any other forums that do it this way, and I think big threads tend to stifle any potential further discussion. (Their size can be intimidating, and people will have a tendency to not want to revisit parts of the older discussion.) But we've already established a precedent here and I think my voice is in the minority, so unless we have a big poll that says we should change it -- perhaps running such a poll isn't a bad idea -- it probably won't get changed.
Actually, I agree with Kef on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:11 am 

Kef makes a good point, he does he does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:17 am 

Yeah, that's always seemed a little odd. Maybe it should be taken case by case. If someone brings up an old topic where the posters are mostly people who don't even come here anymore, it could get split, the old one locked with a link to it placed in the first post, and the discussion can start again fresh. And if someone makes a new topic but the old one still is mostly by people who are still here, then it should be merged and discussion picked up from the old one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:34 am 

All right then. POLL'D!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:05 pm 

I like this idea, for the same reasons Kef posted. With "emailing one admin" you're stuck with the one you get. If you get a special board, you can bring it up with multiple people and get a truly fair appeal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:27 pm 

Acekirby wrote:

I like this idea, for the same reasons Kef posted. With "emailing one admin" you're stuck with the one you get. If you get a special board, you can bring it up with multiple people and get a truly fair appeal.
It would have to be a hidden board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:28 pm 

Well duh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:10 am 

I disagree. If you got yourself banned, you got yourself banned. No appeals, just serve your sentence (if it's a temp ban) and be quiet.

If it's a permaban, well, the person in quetsion can get his buddies to appeal for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:20 am 

netzen wrote:
I disagree. If you got yourself banned, you got yourself banned. No appeals, just serve your sentence (if it's a temp ban) and be quiet.

Right, because if a mod or admin does something, it is always right and just. Users simply don't deserve to question authority!

netzen wrote:
If it's a permaban, well, the person in quetsion can get his buddies to appeal for him.

Yes! Rather than the most direct approach, let's take a roundabout way to solve things! More work for the user = less work for the admins, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:56 am 

Well, you don't have to be sarcastic, but I agree. If there's a legitimate concern about a ban, we should listen to it. We're not always gonna agree with what's suggested - we usually have good reasons as to why we've made decisions, so chances are we'll stand by them - but we're not perfect, we're going to make mistakes, so we should be fair and let people correct us when we do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:42 am 

Hay netzen, have you read the new rule one?

Quote:
1. The Admins have the final say in all matters of the forum. We will, however, listen to your opinions and take them into serious consideration, as long as they are brought to us in a calm and respectful manner.

:D

By the way, Rammy, It's been a week and a half.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:17 am 

Yes, I did, Rusty. I just think that a ban should be final, unless the reason for is obviously a breach of power. I trust the admins and mods enough to think that they won't go on a freaking "ban everyone you hate" rampage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:29 am 

I think people should have the right to talk to modmins about the ban, even if it's fair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:33 am 

Well, I guess. It just seems too easy to abuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:42 am 

netzen wrote:
Well, I guess. It just seems too easy to abuse.

How?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:47 am 

Too much of a chance for idiots to pester the mods with: "OMG LET ME IN!!!"

I know it probably won't be that bad, but my gut tells me it's not good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:54 am 

netzen wrote:
I know it probably won't be that bad, but my gut tells me it's not good.

Who are you, Stephen Colbert?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:07 am 

Well, that would be easy to fix. If they abuse their "banned user" privileges, then they get superbanned. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:03 am 

Just because a user asks to be unbanned, doesn't mean that they will be unbanned. This just gives them a place to explain themselves if there is a misunderstanding, or think that the ban was especially unjust.

Last edited by Chekt on Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:11 am 

I dunno about a whole banned-user section. We don't have THAT much of a problem. If someone wants to ask the admins to reconsider, they can always email the all-admin email address, which could be included in a ban notice sent to the email address they registered with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:18 am 

Yeah, there's rarely more than a few users banned at once, and the majority of the time it's for good reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:54 am 

Chekt wrote:
Just because a user asks to be unbanned, doesn't mean that they will be banned. This just gives them a place to explain themselves if there is a misunderstanding, or think that the ban was especially unjust.

This.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:41 pm 

Rusty wrote:
I think people should have the right to talk to modmins about the ban, even if it's fair.
You do have all the right to talk to us about a ban, but it needs to happen outside of the forum. IM's and E-mails. From there, us modmins will discuss it together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:14 pm 

As I've said before, it's difficult to get in touch with modmins. Also, wouldn't it be good for all the other modmins to be able to see what the banned user is saying, so they can all say what they have to say about it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next