Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:33 pm 

Rusty wrote:
As I've said before, it's difficult to get in touch with modmins. Also, wouldn't it be good for all the other modmins to be able to see what the banned user is saying, so they can all say what they have to say about it?

This is why I think having a special board is a good idea. The ban can be discussed with all the mods and in front of the user.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:34 pm 

Rusty wrote:
As I've said before, it's difficult to get in touch with modmins. Also, wouldn't it be good for all the other modmins to be able to see what the banned user is saying, so they can all say what they have to say about it?
First off,m I have AIM, Windows messenger, Yahoo messenger, G-Talk, my cellphone, and all my e-mail addresses that go with all my messenger services. You can get a ho,d of me. From there, I would forward everything you aid to the others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:51 pm 

It wouldn't be as much of a hassle for you to just make the board.

Seriously, you're saying it like it's this big hassle to create it (kind of like how it's hard to click the ban button, stu), but it seriously takes all of about a minute, tops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:57 pm 

Rusty wrote:
Seriously, you're saying it like it's this big hassle to create it (kind of like how it's hard to click the ban button, stu), but it seriously takes all of about a minute, tops.
But every time someone got banned, he'd have to screw with the permissions and delete the conversations from the last ban. Plus, if two users were banned at the same time, they would most likely need separate forums, so a new one would be have to created. That sounds like a lot more hassle to me than just IMing ramrod. I wouldn't mind seeing a new forum/forums, but it would definitely be more of a hassle if there was one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:08 pm 

Not really. All it takes is one permissions setting to make it only viewable by Mods, Admins, and Banned users.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:17 pm 

Ed kind of makes a good point. Would all banned users be able to see each other's appeals and conversations? That might infringe upon some peoples' sense of privacy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:20 pm 

That's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:34 pm 

How about this: If a user doesn't care who sees the board, they make a thread in Suggestions. if they do care, they IM a modmin (We all have some form of communication, just click one of the buttons below our posts, people seem to forget about those) and we'll discuss it in the mod board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:38 pm 

Ju Ju Master wrote:
How about this: If a user doesn't care who sees the board, they make a thread in Suggestions. if they do care, they IM a modmin (We all have some form of communication, just click one of the buttons below our posts, people seem to forget about those) and we'll discuss it in the mod board.

So...banned users would see Suggestions?

Isn't the point of banning a user getting them off the forum for a period of time? That's like getting kicked out a school but still being able to eat the lunches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:02 am 

I don't think you're going to find a system that is perfect, one that both allows the banned user to have a quick and easy appeal process and simultaneously meets the needs of the users and Admins/Moderators for keeping them off the Forum.

For one thing, how is the appeal process to be managed? Do the banned users have a sufficient window for attempting to convince the Modmin Team that the ban was unfair or premature? How large of a window do we allow before the process becomes outright harassment? (Here, I'm thinking of the Rosalie Incident, where he/she/it was basically harassing all the admins and moderators after her ban, calling them obscene names and just overall making a complete pest of herself).

I agree that the user should have a chance to state their case, but without simply allowing them to continue posting on the forum, there's not much of a way that it can take place except through IM or email.

One way that it could happen is if the Admins sent a PM to the user prior to locking the account, stating the reason for the ban, and giving the user 24 hours to start the appeal process. If the user fails to acknowledge the PM - or continues to cause problems (for example, by arguing or posting spam) during the interim - they lose their appeal privilege and the account is locked. After which, an email from the Admin locking the account would be sent.

I do think it is fair that the user be informed as to which Admins and Mods were involved in making the ban decision. Not necessarily what they said (or even how they individually feel about the ban), but only that they were involved. This way, the user can be assured that it was not merely a hasty decision on the part of a single Admin, but was the result of due process.

If a user decides to appeal, they will send PM's to the Admin who contacted them, along with Ramrod and StrongRad (or Stu, if either Ramrod or StrongRad is the person contacting them). This will ensure that at least three Admins are aware of the appeal. These three Admins are then responsible for communicating with the others and with the Moderators about what is taking place, so that a fair decision can be made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:21 am 

This sounds like the best and most plausible idea. I motion it's passing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:45 am 

The Noid wrote:
So...banned users would see Suggestions?

A banned user can still see the forum as a guest, right? I always thought they could.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:59 am 

Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:02 am 

I always assumed it just went to a "hey, yeah, no, can't get in here dude, sorry" red screen or something.

Nevermind then, I meant "post".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:07 am 

Get banned once, you'll know everything.

Such a prestigious position.

Post subject: also unlock Virginity
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:11 am 

Speaking of bans etc., can someone reactivate my Riptide 7 account?

I see you haven't played Twilight Princess. Why is that?

I got to the water dungeon thing and got bored.

WOW. You just lost the very little respect I had left for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:16 am 

The Noid wrote:
I always assumed it just went to a "hey, yeah, no, can't get in here dude, sorry" red screen or something.

If you have an IP ban it does that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:17 am 

ed 'lim' smilde wrote:
The Noid wrote:

If you have an IP ban it does that.
No, if you get banned and you have your login saved to the comp, everytime you try to see what happened, it acts as if you are logging in.

Post subject: Re: also unlock Virginity
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:42 am 

The Experimental Film wrote:
Speaking of bans etc., can someone reactivate my Riptide 7 account?
Not really. I'm not too fond of fake accounts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:22 pm 

Riptide 7 is weird though. Teff didn't hurt anyone with it, and his posts were actually pretty funny. A lot of people liked them. It wasn't like he used the account to try ands sneak back into the forum, he just came, posted some quality content, and left.

Still your decision, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:10 pm 

I'll agree it was funny, but what he did was still against the rules - he was overstepping his ban, even if he didn't harm anybody by doing so. There's rarely a case when a fake account is necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:39 pm 

Is this the thread where you request changes?

If so, could somebody please split the shipping thread and the makeout thread? They're two different subjects that happen to relate to cartoon character romance, they shouldn't've been merged in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:41 am 

With that kind of thing it's better to just PM a mod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:18 am 

sci-fi greg wrote:
With that kind of thing it's better to just PM a mod.

Agreed. This thread was more about the huge, over-arching structural change that was made to the forum, and as it related to rule changes and policy enforcement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:08 am 

But I don't know who merged the threads.

Post subject: yep
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:49 am 

Asking any mod who patrols the forum in which the merged thread exists should be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:52 pm 

Speaking of structural changes and user involvement and such...

[EDIT: crap, didn't mean for this to get tl;dr like this. most important paragraph in bold, then we can have questions/comments]

So I posted that I'd start deleting anything that was both negative and didn't contribute to the discussion. Since I'm at the beach for a while and then will be in Canada for a while, I won't be able to actually put that into action so much anyway, so I figured I'd explain myself and invite comment.

I as well as probably most of the mod staff feel that the rules here need to be enforced, but using a narrow interpretation rather than a broad one, because it's pretty obvious that if these rules are interpreted broadly, you really couldn't say anything. I mean, I don't like being some kind of crotchety old headmaster or whatever. In fact, a lot of times before doing an edit, if it's not incredibly and obviously wrong I leave up the post in a tab and come back to it a few hours later to see if I still think it's questionable. But there's a point where it's hard to justify NOT acting.

Short posts that respond to a legitimate post by another user that's just "no" or "gay" or "*facepalm* GTFO" are both hostile and don't contribute anything to the conversation. That's TWO rules. I just can't let that go by anymore. If it's not directed at a user here, then fine. Like if you're discussing the latest SBEmail and you didn't like it and just want to put in that you didn't like it real quick, great. But responding to another user in that kind of dismissive way just can't fly here unless you know they don't care (you can take active SI membership as a good indicator of that).

I think the problem here is people are trying to interact with everyone here as if everyone's close friends. For some people, that kind of hostility is a sign of friendship. For a lot of other people, it's absolutely not. When you're in a mixed group like this forum, sometimes you have to act a little more formal than you'd like because people's ways of interacting are different. Please learn to deal with this thx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:01 pm 

Inverse has once again proven that he is God of Mods.

Problem is I will lose all my material to post if I can't say anything negative. D:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:33 am 

I like this new addition. I'm guilty of posting like that, but I'm sure a large portion of us are. It's just one more pointless post for me to scroll through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:37 am 

Location: living in the sunling, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.
Thank you Inverse, you summed that up quite nicely. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next