Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Upgrade to phpBB3
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:29 am 

Yeah, alright ok. I understand.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:42 am 
Admin Styles

DS_Kid wrote:
The older instances of the Strikethrough code do not seem to work properly (it just shows the [s] tags).

Would someone me to an example, please. Kthx.

I'm also reading this phpBB thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:46 am 

Wot, so shiny. Like the actual definition of Web 2.0. Shiny headers that appeal to people with down syndrome.

But seriously. Awesome. Unnecessary (or at least in my opinion, there's probably a big reason) but a lot more convenient.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:47 am 

memberlist.php?mode=leaders

Why are Dormar and Raddy labled as Mods?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:48 am 

It's dot com wrote:
DS_Kid wrote:
The older instances of the Strikethrough code do not seem to work properly (it just shows the [s] tags).

Would someone me to an example, please. Kthx.

This one came to the top of my head first, as I thought its layout would be changed drastically with the conversion. It's the first sentence.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:55 am 
Admin Styles

Chekt wrote:
http://forum.hrwiki.org/memberlist.php?mode=leaders

Why are [ramrod] and [StrongRad] labeled as Mods?

Fixed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:21 am 

This isn't a complaint, or anything...just a comment.
Why are there always so many bots patrolling the place?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:24 am 
Admin Styles

The better to show up on search engines, my dear.

They were always there before, they just didn't show up in the list.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:25 am 

iKipapa wrote:
This isn't a complaint, or anything...just a comment.
Why are there always so many bots patrolling the place?

It basically happens to any Forum with over 20 members nowadays; they're just there to add things to their respective search engines.

EDIT: I guess the anti-moron simulpost thingy didn't work this time...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:28 am 

It's dot com wrote:

kthx.

To Disk:
That's happened to me a couple times tonight. I think it just means that it was truly a simulpost. As in, super exact timing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:28 am 

Location: Somewhere, Someplace, doing Something, Sometimes, Somewhen, Somewhy, Somewhat.
It's dot com wrote:

Is there any reason they should be on the online list? I mean, I think it would look better if the Bots weren't listed. They don't have any actual purpose for us to know that they're online, right?

Other than that, the new design looks amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:32 am 

I don't really like it. I prefer'd the old one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:33 am 

iKipapa wrote:
To Disk:
That's happened to me a couple times tonight. I think it just means that it was truly a simulpost. As in, super exact timing.

I'm pretty sure it's because, when you clicked add reply, the post was already there (so it would show up in the topic review thing you see when you're actually typing your post). It only shows you the simulpsot thing if a reply was made after you'd clicked add reply and were typing your post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:35 am 

Ju Ju Master wrote:
iKipapa wrote:
To Disk:

I'm pretty sure it's because, when you clicked add reply, the post was already there (so it would show up in the topic review thing you see when you're actually typing your post). It only shows you the simulpsot thing if a reply was made after you'd clicked add reply and were typing your post.

Oh, I never thought of that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:39 am 

I thought I was gonna hate the new style.
But I don't.
Strong work, juys.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:42 am 
Admin Styles

Spyrox6 wrote:
Is there any reason they should be on the online list? I mean, I think it would look better if the Bots weren't listed. They don't have any actual purpose for us to know that they're online, right?

I don't like it either. If I find a way to hide them from the main list, I will.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:47 am 

Location: somewhere in the crowd of people in stus backyard...
I haven't been here in months and I stop off by the day it gets all upgraded 'n' stuff.
Cool!

It has nice curves.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:53 am 

Hmm...it seems as if many of the older users are coming back with the upgrade. I'd really appreciate it if all of you oldies decided to stay. :)

Also, while this has been on the Forum Wiki for quite some time, I guess I should bring it over here, as well:
Out with the old-

-and in with the new.

You can find tons of cool information on this day right over here. The actual information and updates on the upgrade begin in The Actual Thing is Happening section. EDIT: Also, it's PG 13 for some language. Sorry about that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:07 am 

haha, when that anti-moron thing popped up, I was scared to hit the submit button for a while.

Old habits die hard...

To Disk: I may stay for a while this time :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:44 am 
Admin Styles

DS_Kid wrote:
You can find tons of cool information on this day right over here. The actual information and updates on the upgrade begin in The Actual Thing is Happening section. EDIT: Also, it's PG 13 for some language. Sorry about that.

Aside from the fact that you blogged a progress indicator instead of, y'know, going outside or something, I've gotta say that's a fun read.

A few notes: mid-morning would have been sooner, but I decided to get a Krispy Kreme Doughnut before beginning. (I knew I'd need the sugar.) Also, even though I wrote ET (Eastern Time) on the notice, I always intended it to be mid-morning Central Time (where I am). I put ET because that's what most people in the United States are used to seeing and 'cause I knew it would be close enough to that.

The upgrade actually began behind the scenes at 11 ET/10 CT, and I officially pulled the plug at noon ET/11 CT (I could have shut it down early, but I wanted to make sure every number (and "momentarily") got its minute in the sun in the countdown thread. Converting the database took 3 hours and 33 minutes, as expected. The banner and other styles I had already made beforehand, so those didn't take any time. The killer (read: the cause of all the delays) was the permissions system (well, and I got a Dr Pepper from the store across the street and watched the last two minutes of the Redskins–Seahawks game). The old phpBB2 admin panel had one page of permissions and they were really straightforward. Conversely, the permissions on phpBB3 can be fine-tuned to the point that you start to wonder if maybe working for the IRS might be a simpler way to spend your life. I'm pleased to say I think I got the hang of it by the time I was done, but it was rough going for a bit.

I'm glad I could earn you those inches. I was determined, rain or shine, not to extend the deadline any further than I did. (That's why we went live without a link back to the wiki. I'll add it tomorrow. Probably.)

It's been a long day. I think I'm going to hang my titanium pants up and recharge for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:50 am 

It's dot com wrote:
Aside from the fact that you blogged a progress indicator instead of, y'know, going outside or something, I've gotta say that's a fun read.

A few notes: mid-morning would have been sooner, but I decided to get a Krispy Kreme Doughnut before beginning. (I knew I'd need the sugar.) Also, even though I wrote ET (Eastern Time) on the notice, I always intended it to be mid-morning Central Time (where I am). I put ET because that's what most people in the United States are used to seeing and 'cause I knew it would be close enough to that.

The upgrade actually began behind the scenes at 11 ET/10 CT, and I officially pulled the plug at noon ET/11 CT (I could have shut it down early, but I wanted to make sure every number (and "momentarily") got its minute in the sun in the countdown thread. Converting the database took 3 hours and 33 minutes, as expected. The banner and other styles I had already made beforehand, so those didn't take any time. The killer (read: the cause of all the delays) was the permissions system (well, and I got a Dr Pepper from the store across the street and watched the last two minutes of the Redskins–Seahawks game). The old phpBB2 had one page of permissions and they were really straightforward. Conversely, the permissions on phpBB3 can be fine-tuned to the point that you start to wonder if maybe working for the IRS might be a simpler way to spend your life. I'm pleased to say I think I got the hang of it by the time I was done, but it was rough going for a bit.

I'm glad I could earn you those points. I was determined, rain or shine, not to extend the deadline any further than I did. (That's why we went live without a link back to the wiki. I'll add it tomorrow. Probably.)

It's been a long day. I think I'm going to hang my titanium pants up and recharge for a while.

Epic. Just epic. I'll be sure to record some of that stuffs on the Wiki and Disk-tionary (unless someone wants to do it for me, as I really need to join you in going to sleep).

Oh, and you'd be surprised how many people did nothing groundbreaking besides stare at that progress bar all day. :P
(Chekt, MikeMcG, iKipapa for the last part, me...a few others whom I can't remember off the top of my head)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:01 am 
Admin Styles

DS_Kid wrote:
Oh, and you'd be surprised how many people did nothing groundbreaking besides stare at that progress bar all day. :P
(Chekt, MikeMcG, iKipapa for the last part, me...a few others whom I can't remember off the top of my head)

The last time I checked (I could see a list of all the users who were following along, and every now and then I would see who it was), it was Exhibit A, Inverse Tiger, gunluva, Duecex2, DS_Kid, Ju Ju Master, and Bugkiss. On average there were about half a dozen users staring at the progress bar at any given time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:06 am 

It's dot com wrote:
The last time I checked (I could see a list of all the users who were following along), it was Exhibit A, Inverse Tiger, gunluva, Duecex2, DS_Kid, Ju Ju Master, and Bugkiss. On average there were about half a dozen users staring at the progress bar at any given time.

You and your evil admin powers... :P

Hmm...so I guess reading a progress bar and using it as a time-waster is more productive than reading a book or finding a cure for cancer... I love this place. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:11 am 
Admin Styles

I built that meter almost from scratch, by the way, for a different application (it's used on the wiki). (For those who didn't see it in action, it's dynamically generated.) The only thing I didn't do was come up with the specific shading, which I stole from the MacOS X progress bar.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:16 am 

D00d, it took me forever to realize that "0 new messages, 1 unread message" meant I had a unread message I SENT, not one I received. It was ticking me off.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:37 am 

It's dot com wrote:
I built that meter almost from scratch, by the way, for a different application (it's used on the wiki). (For those who didn't see it in action, it's dynamically generated.) The only thing I didn't do was come up with the specific shading, which I stole from the MacOS X progress bar.

That explains a lot. You have to make it in more than four colors, though. :P

Also, did you notice that you upped the number of messages we can have in our Sent Box to 50? It was originally 25, and I didn't know if you guys changed that for a reason or not.

I thought that I had another suggestion for the Forum, but I think the nosebleed I just had made me lose my memory...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:42 am 
Admin Styles

DS_Kid wrote:
You have to make it in more than four colors, though. :P

Nah, four is plenty. It just has to represent (1) wiki edits where you used a proper edit summary, (2) edits where you relied solely on the automatic section summary, (3) edits where you used no summary at all, and (4) deleted edits.

The sentbox increase must just be the new default.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:57 am 

Both of those explanations make sense.

Hmm...I see that the Search feature is working pretty much perfectly now, and the posts containing the Strikethrough MOD from before the upgrade are working fine.

I also noticed that the Homestar banner along the top blinks just like on the Wiki. :-S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:04 pm 

[double s]Why does it stretch my non-100 pixel-wide avatars? Never mind, I found it in my profile UCP.[/double s] Does it have to stretch my avatar?

Ooh, it shows your signature in your profile.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:57 pm 

DS_Kid wrote:

Best six hours of my life until some friends came along and dragged me away. Jerks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next