Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How as it?
(5/5) So awesome my head engsploded! 72%  72%  [ 83 ]
(4/5) Pretty good 23%  23%  [ 26 ]
(3/5) mmmMMRREENNHH 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
(2/5) mrenh 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
(1/5) aw grandioase, that was awful! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 115
 Post subject: Re: Sbemail 188 - Fan club
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:52 pm 

Octan wrote:
And how he thinks SB/HS makes for good slash... that dude has promblems.

Do you realise that that pairing exists and has a following?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:03 am 

Location: At The Eastmost Peninsula in the toilet of my heart
Any sbemail that picks on the fanbase is an automatic win.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:49 am 

Well, it happened. As more consecutive toons started piling under the "awesome" category, my mouse got closer and closer to that register button. It finally happened, and I do not regret it, solely for the fact that this e-mail has reminded me why there are so few things on the Internet I am a part of.
Being that it was good enough to get me on this site, I'd say it was a pretty darn good e-mail.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:51 am 

Seriously the best e-mail in a while. I loved 12-times-a-day Man! And yeah, I was totally expecting SB to be on both ends of the sandwich.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:51 am 

Anyone really surprised as I was when they saw this e-mail?

Holy crap I'm still laughing at this.

I can't believe the Chaps went this far and made references to stuff like fanfiction, slash, pairing, etc-- really "dark" parts of any crazed fandom, including ours (yes oh yes I went there). That alone gives it 5/5. i had to pause the sbemail at "fiction" to catch my breath. I was hoping he wouldn't say it, but he did. and I laughed my butt off. oh, thank god for that greasemonkey script!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:25 am 

There were a few laughs with this one...

I don't know much about fan fiction, though.

Strong Bad really should have been at the other end of that sub.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:23 am 

Sneakernets wrote:
i had to pause the sbemail at "fiction" to catch my breath. I was hoping he wouldn't say it, but he did. and I laughed my butt off. oh, thank god for that greasemonkey script!

So there's some way to download something that can let you pause and stuff without viewing it as an swf page? I've been viewing everything with no video control.

And as for the sbemail, I once thought the long hoagie's other end would have a duplicate Strong Bad, but it was just The Cheat. Also, Homestar and Strong Bad mouthing Strong Sad's dialogue is just about the funniest thing involving lip-synchronization I've ever witnessed since Homestar mouthing Strong Bad's words in The Movies.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:08 am 

Charlie Jr. wrote:
So there's some way to download something that can let you pause and stuff without viewing it as an swf page? I've been viewing everything with no video control.

If you have Mozilla Firefox with the Greasemonkey add-on, you can install a script to view Homestar Runner toons in full screen with bonus features such as a seek bar (including a pause button), a Wiki link, and some subtitles. Check it out right here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:24 am 

Charlie Jr. wrote:
And as for the sbemail, I once thought the long hoagie's other end would have a duplicate Strong Bad, but it was just The Cheat.

I don't get what's so disappointing about The Cheat being on the other end of the sandwich. He was at the Deleteheads meeting, so it doesn't make sense for him to have been there either.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:07 am 

This e-mail was AWSOME! first of note making fun of fan clubs when this site is a fan club of sorts (ok i know its a fan site whatever). just about everything in this email was great. taking a psycology class now and
"stokholm syndrom-esque" made me laugh. most of the other great stuff has already been metioned.

.... on a side note, you slash girls scare me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:04 pm 

Shwoo wrote:
I don't get what's so disappointing about The Cheat being on the other end of the sandwich. He was at the Deleteheads meeting, so it doesn't make sense for him to have been there either.

It was not disappointing, it was just unexpected, and it's funny to see anything unexpected show up, like the realization of the mouthing-the-dialogue bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:42 pm 

ChickenMovieMan wrote:
It was pretty good, but it could've used another terrible fan activity. Ya can't stop at just two!

cosplay? That's all I can think of, and they kind of needle that one every Halloween. I guess there's conventions. Just trying to imagine what you'd find at a BadCon '08 is enough to cause an aneurysm in a fellow

Abelhawk wrote:
I absolutely LOVED him making fun of Fan Fiction. Fan Fiction is the biggest disgrace to the original creators that I can think of. Good on ya, TBC!

I have to say, I do love a crappy fanfic now and again. Not the good ones (because there are no good ones), but the seriously, mindbogglingly crappy fanfics, bloated with self-indulgence and poor characterisations, they're like candy to me. Bad in huge amounts, but usually a treat

Anyway, the email show itself, I liked the ideas on the whole, but the fanclub membership bothered me a lot. Is it that difficult to whip up some generic oddballs to be the Deleteheads? When TBC delegate roles to the same handful of characters time and time again it starts to feel pretty bizarre, as if Free Country USA really only has about twenty people in it. That said, I can never get enough Homsar, and the egg was a beauty (as was Marzipan's)

Sad but true: After the email I went through the Wiki's list of instances of Dan trying to guess which ones constitute the Ten Dans. I still haven't properly decided

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:48 pm 

Ha ha. I just created a Delete-Heads Blog. Check it out at http://deleteheads.blogspot.com/.

I thought that fan club was one of the best episodes of late (as many of you have expressed), though I laughed a lot at Drive-Thru. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:58 pm 

Anyone else think we can expect to hear from the Sub Sandwich Monster when Trogdor's birthday comes around again?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:04 pm 

This episode was just pure genius. I need everyone I know who makes fan fiction and slashings to watch this. Just pure genius. P.S. :eekdance:

Now going off topic, I am so happy I finally was able to log in again after many desperate attempts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:20 am 

Seconded on the whole "no good fan fiction" thing. Personally, I think that fan fiction only exists because the people who write it lack the creativity to make up their own original content, but I digress.

This email was made of awesome. Fan clubs are hardly tolerable as it is, but as soon as SB went into the realm of fan fiction, the email became comedic gold. And I love how they spoofed on the people who put themselves into the fan fiction that they write.

Quote:

In that case, I just lost a good deal of faith in humanity.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:56 am 

Oh, wow, I loved this. It struck a chord with me. The "crappy made-up character" especially spoke to me, because I used to go on the Homestar Runner Fanstuff Wiki and they were making up so many awful characters it was inexcusable. "I WILL MAEKS A NU CARAKTUR! IT LIEK STRONGBAD OWNLI YELLO! BECAUSE JUST CHANGING DA COLOR SKEEM TOTLY MAEKS IT A DIFRUNT CARAKTUR!"

But the whole email was great and I was glad they managed to work a little nod to slash in there, since I'm sure they've seen some of the SB/HR stuff floating around.

5/5. The end.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:07 am 

Shwoo wrote:
Octan wrote:
And how he thinks SB/HS makes for good slash... that dude has promblems.

And that a lot of people on this FORUM ship it?

...C:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:38 am 

Xeknos wrote:
Seconded on the whole "no good fan fiction" thing. Personally, I think that fan fiction only exists because the people who write it lack the creativity to make up their own original content, but I digress.

Quote:
Quote:

In that case, I just lost a good deal of faith in humanity.

I'm sorry, but statements like these make me very angry. Personally, I write fanfiction because I love the characters and want to see as much of them as possible. I have my own characters, and am in the process of fleshing them out. At the moment I just think Homestar Runner characters are more interesting.

I don't understand why good fanfiction would be totally impossible. Does that mean that good writers never write fanfiction, or that only the creator/s can write their own characters and settings correctly? The first is not true, and the second seems unlikely with all the ghostwriting and TV shows that go on.

And I'm not really a shipper, I just think Homestar Runner shipping is funny, but if some people liking to pair up two male cartoon characters makes you lose so much faith in humanity, I hope you rarely watch the news.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:13 am 

I'll have to agree with Shwoo: not all fan fiction is bad. People assume that it is, but there are many different authors out there who have many different concepts in their writing. Of course, I'm not too much of a fan of reading fan fiction myself, but I have seen several good pieces of work that are related to Homestar Runner, and I'm sure that thousands more exist for different series and such.

Regardless of this, the e-mail is funny because it is making fun of a specific category of writing (over-saturation in details and out-of-character work) that applies to a large portion of fan fiction out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:51 am 

I would also have to agree that not all fanfiction is bad. I have piles and piles of original work--some completed stories and some incomplete--and I still enjoy writing fanfiction. However, my fanfiction hardly resembles the conventional stuff and more resembles an original story set in the key universe. I've never dabbled in H*R fanfiction but I'm sure it's possible to create some good stuff. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:39 pm 

The best the best the best! I loved it! One of the funniest things I've seen out of TBC in a while.
I liked it enough to send them an email, which is something I haven't done in a long time.

But yes, brilliant, 5/5. Take that, fanfic(tion)!

:homsar: Son of a chipwich!

Cheers,
MooT BooXLé
http://www.mootbooxle.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:59 pm 

Yeah...I have read some pretty good HR fanfics out there....but they are definitely hard to find. Most of the ones I've read are either totally out of character or the author tries a little too hard to make it funny or even angsty/funny. Some fics can pull it off pretty well though. But they are hard to find. :-|

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:46 pm 

Shwoo wrote:
I don't understand why good fanfiction would be totally impossible

For the record I was being flippant when I said there was no good fanfic. I was being entirely serious however about only reading the bad stuff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:27 am 

The fact that TBC grasped the fact that in almost any FanFic, there is at least some sort of smut going on between some of the characters.

"And then Homestar pranced in, naked as a jaybird"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:31 am 

Do you mean that in almost everything that has fanfiction, some of it will be smut, or that almost every fanfic contains some smut? Because that second one's not true.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:13 pm 

That was awesome! Could it top alternate universe? It's one of my favourites ^^

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:12 pm 
Pizza Pizza

Bah-ZING!

I liked it.

Fanfictions scare me. Strong Bad's was pretty cool, though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:34 am 

I don't think I've seen such a positive forum reaction to an update since TGS 10.

Anyway, I'm going to have to agree with the general forum consensus on this one: this sbemail was truly a gem. I'd go so far as to call it a crown jewel.

Btw, some of the my favorite stories happen to be fan fiction. Authors who write goodfic not only have creativity, but they have creativity to spare.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:50 am 

Shwoo wrote:
Duecex2 wrote:
D:

I was hoping Shwoo would be offended by this.
I get the impression you haven't actually read any of my fanfiction. I do my best to get the voices right, and the only time I used an OC was when I was making fun of terrible OCs. Unless you thought I'd be offended by the general idea of Strong Bad disliking fanfiction? It's the same sort of thing he did in rough copy, only with less legal action.

I'm sorry, Shwoo. It's like...I love you and I hate you at the same time. Really, you're one of the most well mannered people on the internet I've ever met, and I really respect you for that, but I kind of dislike your fanstuff tendencies, and I was hoping that you would be offended that your source material that you cherish so highly took a pot shot at you.

But that's obviously not the case, and my respect for you has gotten even higher for being able to take some light hearted parody.

Well played ma'am, well played.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next