Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: SOUL (Chapter 6)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:45 am 

They say that your life flashes before your eyes the moment before you die. Well, as cliché as it sounds, I believe that it’s true.

Take your typical Saturday—the day off from your backbreaking job that gives you no more than a dollar above minimum wage—and imagine it as a painting. Hopefully, if you’re among the lucky ones in this “fine” year of 2013, you are willing to see this painting as straightforward, yet wonderful in its own way. Whatever the case though, abstract or otherwise, continue imagining.

Now normally, this painting isn’t going to change. Change is meager in this “fine” year of 2013. Change is normally nonexistent...unless, of course, you hit the lottery or something special like that. However, on this “fine” August day in this “fine” year of 2013, change is commonplace.

Take your painting. Hold it high into the air. Curse at it—swear at it. Throw it to the ground. Stomp on the damn painting until it can feel your eternal scrapes of pain. Take your mighty paints and smear them all over the remnants of this painting with your hands like a frantic kindergartener. Smear the paints for as long as you need to cure the pains—hours, perhaps. Throw the painting to the ground again. Curse at it more. Kick it. Beat it. Eat it if it makes you happy!

Look at your new work: it’s a mangled, uncreative mess of splotchy paint that permanently covers your original painting forever, regardless of your methods of cleaning it.

This is a metaphor for a fraction of the pain all of Earth went through on the “fine” day of August 10, 2013. This is a metaphor for the billions of lives that forever changed in a matter of one day. This is a metaphor for those who could not withstand these pains, and decided to end their meaningless lives before "they" decided to.

However, despite the struggle Earth went through that day, the once-dominant species—human beings—pulled together and united as one mass entity.

Will it last? I don’t know. I hope so, they hope so, and everybody else hopes so.

They are SOUL.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Table of Contents:

Introduction
Chapter 1 (old one; deleted)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by DS_Kid on Thu May 15, 2008 1:21 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: Re: In response to your sadness...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:57 am 

Umm, alright, deep, very deep.

Aw, who am I kidding?

DS posted, woo-hoo!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:17 am 

Clap for me, Clapper!

Good writing Disk, and I'm glad to see you've returned.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:43 am 

Dude!!! Yes!!!! This pleases me very much. We will all be treated to writing styles of Disk once more!!!! Glad to see you're still around!! This looks great so far... can't wait to see what you come up with!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:23 pm 

Man, that painting tasted good.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:30 pm 

Ha, new peeps dunno of old versions.

This is what, attempt #3 at SOUL?

Better finish it this time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:38 pm 

Bugkiss wrote:

Well why doesn't he just title it that?

Ah, well, I am confused.

*claps for...DS* Hah! Nice try Abu.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:16 pm 

HAPPINESS AND SMILES ALL AROUND!!

SOUL is my favorite!

Just call me Capt. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:48 pm 

The Great Clapper wrote:
Bugkiss wrote:

'Cause if you knew the old SOUL (which was awesome) seeing "They are SOUL" at the end is quite a pleasant surprise.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:54 pm 

I don't really remember the old SOUL all that much, but I do remember other fanfics that might have been SOUL (an alien invasion with JoeyDay as president is the one that sticks out). This looks to be good.

i need to get around to re-making one of my old dead ones. "forumapalypse now: forumapalypse harder"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:56 pm 

Ju Ju Master wrote:
The Great Clapper wrote:
Bugkiss wrote:

'Cause if you knew the old SOUL (which was awesome) seeing "They are SOUL" at the end is quite a pleasant surprise.

I hate being an excluded Newb. :-(

But I understand that part of it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:39 am 

Location: living in the sunling, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.
Entropy wrote:
Just call me Capt. :D

Say what?

Hey Disk, good writing styles!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:47 am 

Capt. Ido Nos wrote:
Say what?

You weren't here for the original, so you'll see soon enough. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:56 am 

Location: living in the sunling, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.
Ohhhhh, okay. I thought we were having an identity crisis there for a sec ^^;;

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:07 am 

Booyeah! Another Soul!

Can I join in the fun? :-D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:28 am 

Capt. Ido Nos wrote:
Ohhhhh, okay. I thought we were having an identity crisis there for a sec ^^;;

Buhahahahahahaha

IDENTITY THEFT!

Hurrah!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:00 am 

The Great Clapper wrote:
Bugkiss wrote:

Ah, well, I am confused.

I meant applaud Disk for me so I didn't have to.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:56 am 

AbuGrape45 wrote:
The Great Clapper wrote:
Bugkiss wrote:

Ah, well, I am confused.

I meant applaud Disk for me so I didn't have to.

Only the finest of hands being put together for SOUL, eh?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:00 am 

You're like a CPC. You're a pro at it, and I'm too lazy, so I ask you to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:46 pm 

I'm pretty sure I wasn't in SOUL...am I right?

Post subject: SOUL (Chapter 1)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:09 am 

Acekirby wrote:
You were in it.

Sorry for the delay in this; my recent dreams have given me more inspiration for my other piece of writing work.

Also, I apologize for the writing in this chapter, as it seems pretty poor for my standards. It is probably because of two reasons: 1) I haven't written in this style for awhile, and 2) I had too many long and vague subjects to talk about in this chapter. I promise that in the future chapters, the writing will be better.

I will also try to shorten them if this is too long.

SOUL
Chapter 1

<Hah, deleted>

Since my descriptions of the two creatures mentioned in this chapter are a bit vague, I may scan the old images I've drawn of them and put them in here. There was also a bunch of other things that I breezed over in this chapter that I really should have mentioned more, but what's done is done, especially when I'm not going off of any sort of plan for this (which I really should be, but this whole story was kinda short-notice).

I hope to update this once a week, though it may vary with real life conditions.

EDIT: Fixing word due to word filter.

EDIT 2: I removed this chapter; I'm going about this all wrong. New version of this chapter will be up shortly.

Last edited by DS_Kid on Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: SOUL (Chapter 1)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:11 am 

Not bad. You're right that it wasn't as great as some of your other writing, but that's a high standard to continuously achieve. It was still quite good.

(nice self-promotions, by the way)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:31 am 

Hurrah for new chapter!

Haha, Chris Ricci.

Who's he? :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:49 am 

Hopefully this Chapter 1 is a bit easier to read (I also decided to make it a bit shorter). Overall, it's boring, but it at least sets the stage for future events.

SOUL
Chapter 1

They say that your life flashes before your eyes the moment before you die. Well, as cliché as it sounds, I believe that it’s true.

I sat back in my computer chair, bending it towards the ground in rhythmic bounces. It made tiny squeaking sounds—the highlight of my night. It was midnight—my laptop’s alarm signaled it several minutes ago, at least—and I was bored out of my mind. I got back from my friend’s party around 11, and surprisingly didn’t get drunk at the event, even though there was liquor everywhere.

Now I was alone…in the dark; staring out my sliding glass window into the cityscape with my finger running parallel with the crack of my mouth. As time passed (it felt like five hours, though it was more like five minutes), the lights in the nearby buildings slowly dimmed, and the chill of darkness started to grace my body.

I was in one of the apartment segments of the city; I was on the fourth floor of my own. I could hear laughing in the apartment room to the right of mine; the people were probably throwing a party, as well.

Why not? It was a Friday in the month of August; school hadn’t started back up for half of us, and half of us weren’t employed with full time jobs.

Well, they could be called full-time jobs, but they weren’t. My friends and I all worked in nearby venues for at least eight hours a day, doing standard fare tasks for minimum wage (and sometimes less, since the economy was crap nowadays).

Whatever, though. It was August. It was 2013. Life was good.

Hell, I could be asleep right now…but then again, life is pretty short, and being awake is definitely a better way to fill it up than sleeping.

Most of the apartment lights in my area were now dark. The noise in the apartment room next to mine had also ceased. The only thing fueling activities in the city of Forumopolis now were the cars outside, casting their lights and honking their horns. In a way, it was annoying, but it was regular city life for me now.

I cracked my neck with a 90-degree tilt of it; it relieved the “feeling” that built up in it on occasion. I followed up by rotating my back 180 degrees, causing tiny pops to rush up and down my spine. It felt good, especially before going to sleep.

I turned to my side, reaching for my television remote on my metal computer desk. It felt like a great challenge at nighttime, especially when drowsiness was kicking in, but it also felt like a great accomplishment once I finally had a grasp of it.

The television remote was stained with all sorts of materials that I couldn’t remember about; its original gray tone had shifted to a light tan color over the years. Of course, it didn’t bother me, as I lived like a slob, meaning that things were supposed to be dirty after owning them for at least two weeks.

I pressed my thumb against the squishy rubber POWER button, and my television flashed white for a brief moment. A slight ring accompanied the power-up of it that I could only notice if I chose to actually focus on it.

I waited. Five seconds, ten seconds—an image finally starting fading in. My television was a piece of crap: it was one of the old “big screen” CRTs that felt as if they had the weight of a truck, I could definitely be reminded of it from its “battle damage”. When moving into my apartment several years ago, my buddy decided to act stupid and drop his end of the television when we were moving it up a flight of steps. His excuse was that he was goofing off to another one of my friends, who was supervising the whole situation. The television ended up sliding down several steps before hitting the opposing brick wall dead-on. It now had several cracks and scuffs along the lower right portion of the screen.

I could simply buy a new television—LCDs and plasma-screens were only around $300 nowadays—but I preferred to spend my low income on food and computer-related items.

And it showed. Scattered across the ground of my apartment were computer boxes, shoe boxes, software boxes—boxes of all shapes and sizes—plastic wrap, food packages, food particles, coffee stains, lunch bags, paper towels, bath towels, blankets, cotton stuffing to pillows, and even garbage bags. So basically, any common garbage item took refuge on my floor.

As with the television remote, I didn’t mind all of this. You could call me a typical young adult, if you wanted to.

News was quite boring past midnight. There were a few “breaking news” pieces about people being shot and such, but that was all too common at this day and age. Breaking news was all too common, as well; they’d bring up the breaking news animation and sound effect for the simplest of things, even if somebody simply collapsed in the street from heat exhaustion and newscasters were nearby.

Right before I was about to turn off the television, one final announcement by the newscaster sparked my interest. Apparently, a meteor shower was supposed to occur almost all of tomorrow at sporadic times. I was kind of iffy about anything meteor-related after several years ago, when claims about a meteor named TU24 harming the Earth spread like a wildfire. Nothing happened, obviously, but it started to make me wonder about space-related subjects.

Of course, I knew that nothing besides a pretty light show would happen from these meteors, and I could finally find some use for the cheap telescope I had purchased at an online auction awhile back.

Meh, these things shifted from interesting to unimportant near-instantly as a spell of tiredness struck again. I yawned while slumping back into my computer chair once more. I rocked it towards the ground several times to make its squeaking noise before shutting my eyes. Tomorrow would probably be interesting.

Post subject: Re: SOUL (ACTUAL Chapter 1)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:03 am 

Awsome. Can't wait for Chapter two.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:55 am 

Darn right you talked about TU24.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:11 am 

Sorry, no new SOUL chapter tonight. A lot of it is already finished, but I still have a bit more to do with it. Expect it any time this week (it's hard to have an exact date though, since I have IRL stuffs to do).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:56 am 

DS_Kid wrote:
Acekirby wrote:
You were in it.

rly?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:18 am 

Was I in it?

Post subject: Chapter 2
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:59 pm 

Acekirby wrote:
rly?
Yes.
The Cup of Coffee wrote:
Was I in it?
Yes.

Chapter 2 follows below. I will hopefully have Chapter 3 out later, and, if things turn out right, many more chapters in the coming weeks with the help of Spring Break.

SOUL
Chapter 2

That damn alarm clock.

I awoke to a never-ending triple-bleep bursting from my laptop. My summertime allergies were kicking in, meaning that my dry head rattled greatly with each instance of the noise.

I finally worked up the will to turn off the alarm (along with the laptop) by holding down the power button for a few moments. Everything grew silent once more in my room. Relief.

Silence ended with a sudden spell of car horns outside. I guess that meant it was officially time to wake up.

I was somewhat chilled this morning; my body was drenched in sweat, yet the air conditioning’s sheer strength was keeping my sweat glands cool.

On occasion, opening my eyes in the morning was a great challenge. Whenever an instance of light appeared in my eyes, they’d involuntarily close shut despite any efforts on my part to open them. This was one of those occasions.

I rubbed them with great force to try and massage them into opening up, but all that did was wipe some tiny particles (“crust”, as some would call it) off my eyelids. I cursed, then lifted myself from my computer chair and waddled to the bathroom sink, sidestepping all of the junk on the floor of my apartment in the process.

After a few moments, I felt my way to the sink with the help of my walls. The walls were rather poor, with their off-white paint chipping in contact with my hands, but it still served as a great guide to the bathroom.

Once in the bathroom, I finally was able to rinse the warm, summer water from the rusted faucets over my face. My splashes were messy; the front of my oily hair was wet, my speckled undershirt was drenched, and even the opposing bathroom wall tiling was wet. My face was clean, though, and that was all that mattered.

Now that I was able to see, I did my standard series of cracks all around my body: my back, my neck, my toes, my feet, my knuckles…everything that could be cracked was cracked. I rubbed my hands together, noticed their dryness (which ended up sending a cold streak up my spine like most dry things did), and then quickly applied some aloe-based lotion to them. I now felt “clean”.

My television still appeared to be on, but its auto-mute feature had taken effect. I brushed off a few loose wrappers from my computer desk and grabbed the television remote, turning off the mute function with the press of a sticky button.

The news was, as usual, boring; the multiple tickers along the bottom of the screen weren’t even showing anything interesting. The meteors weren’t being mentioned, either. Meteors…

Boring news. “Bah…”

Breaking news. “Meh…”

Meteors…

The television feed starting collecting artifacts around several stale parts of the screen. The newscaster’s voice was starting to break up, and her face was starting to lose a quality image with the growing pixelation. With modern technology, satellite feeds shouldn’t have been interrupted on common days.

The sounds of a few fighter jets emanated overhead. Things seemed to be getting weird and cliché…

One of the meteors ended up colliding in a nearby wooded area at a miniscule size. A shaky camera shot of some fighter jets (which I assumed were the ones that I had just heard) appeared on the screen for a few seconds. They looked quite big and menacing—the “big daddies” of fighter jets.

My legs began to quiver, which was quite rare nowadays. The cold sweat started occupying my sweat glands once more.

“The United States government would like to make it clear that there should be no cause for alarm in this situation. The military is simply being sent to the scene in the rare event that it was not a meteor, but an attack of some sort.” Great. Terrorism.

The satellite feed cut out and back in perhaps a hundred times. In the end, the newscaster said that they were cutting to a commercial break due to technical difficulties.

I tried to remain calm—really, I did—but there was just that feeling in me that meant danger was coming. More bleeps came from my laptop, not from an alarm, but from instant messages.

“Joey, are you seeing what’s going on outside?” one message by my friend read.

“Joey, check outside!” read another.

Altogether, twenty messages by twenty friends appeared on my laptop’s screen, each having a message on the same subject as the others.

I briskly walked to my balcony, just to take a peek at what was happening.

The streets seemed fine, but the sky was a whole ‘nother story. Literally, thousands of shiny objects were roaring down from the air, some colliding with the Earth miles away. Tremors shook across Forumopolis seconds afterward. They were nothing major, but they were enough to cause concern. Meteors? Terrorism? Aw, hell…

More fighter jets appeared, all of which were scattered in tiny formations heading in every direction. I could see police cars, ambulances, and fire engines appearing in the streets below.

The tremors grew in magnitude, my balcony’s foundation seemed to be detaching from the rest of the apartment.

Then it hit. Then they hit.

A force of some sort threw me back into my apartment, though thankfully, my sliding glass door was open and out of the way from my fall. Hundreds of thunderous sounds, all of which seemed like sonic booms, sounded in all directions. Smoke filled the blue sky, causing a hazy red shade to appear near-instantly. Buildings in the distance appeared to be leveled, and nearby buildings either had major cracks down them or were starting to crumble.

Welcome to Hell…

My eardrums started to rupture under the intensity of the noise, but under all of the explosions, earthquakes, and crashes, I could still hear the faint cries of human beings—humans, the apparently dominant race of the Earth, dying.

One of these objects crashed into the building across the street from me, throwing my body across my apartment and into my steel door. The bolts along the door rattled with my impact, and I could feel a large gash in the general vicinity of my head. It seemed as if time was ticking down for my life.

Last edited by DS_Kid on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next