Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Day of Silence
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:41 am 

TheFacelessEvil wrote:
Yes. Hense that's why it's probably why the language of the website is American because it's aimed at an American audience. I don't think they were planning to go world-wide, but... hey...

It's not actually a public Holiday, more of just a protest Holiday. We have a lot of those around here. Nobody actually gets any days off or anything...

It's in English, and a website being in American English is not a reason why only Americans would ever go there. The Internet is not solely frequented by Americans, so a note at least would be nice.

And I know it's not a public holiday. I was just saying, the 25th of April is an important day in Australia and New Zealand, and not one you could reasonably spend going to school and not speaking. Especially since it's a public holiday and you can't go to school.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:48 am 

Shwoo wrote:
It's in English, and a website being in American English is not a reason why only Americans would ever go there. The Internet is not solely frequented by Americans, so a note at least would be nice.

And I know it's not a public holiday. I was just saying, the 25th of April is an important day in Australia and New Zealand, and not one you could reasonably spend going to school and not speaking. Especially since it's a public holiday and you can't go to school.

Sorry, when I said "language" I was not referring to the dialect. I was referring to the scope of it, the theme, the... point. Language was a poor word on my part! I'm watching cooking shows(Gordon Ramsay) in Britain right now and they talk about the "language" of the food, i.e. the "flavor, the theme, the pizazz". I used it in website terms, and that's confusing. Sorry again!

I'm sure whoever in your country thinks whatever is important can make their own decisions on which to do... Holiday or no Holiday. Whoever lives out-of-country could probably care less about some poor kid who got killed in America. Let alone the people IN America giving a crap.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:02 am 

Guess I didn't even know about it... so much for doing it, but I don't think I would have anyway. Fargo has its own Gay Pride week thing in like May or some summer month or something and I promised a friend I'd do that with them.

Silent protests just kind of bug me really really bad and that's why I wouldn't have done it. It's a personal thing. I tried the whole silent thing once and my parents dragged me to the hospital at 1 in the morning to make me talk to a doctor and convince them I wasn't going to kill myself. Not doing it again.

Not to mention I only have class once a week, and it wasn't today. Also we had a blizzard, so I would have been in my house all day being silent for my cockatiels. Obviously the universe did not want me to participate.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:04 am 

Jenny wrote:
...blizzard...

*points, laughs*

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:19 am 

JohnTheTinyCowboy wrote:
Jenny wrote:
...blizzard...

*points, laughs*

Yeah I couldn't find the yard. Or the road.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:32 am 

Jenny wrote:
blizzard

...blizzard?

...what's that?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:27 am 

the thing you get at Dairy Queen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:29 am 

bawwwwwww, they called me gay! Boo hoo! Maybe if I stay in silence for a whole day, they'll stop bullying me!

Get over it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:31 am 
Pizza Pizza

Choc-o-Lardiac Arrest wrote:
bawwwwwww, they called me gay! Boo hoo! Maybe if I stay in silence for a whole day, they'll stop bullying me!

Get over it.

Wow...
Just wow...

While I don't disagree with drawing attention to bullying, there are probably just as many straight kids that get bullied. Had they said "day of silence against all bullying" or something like that, eh, it might have been worth something. Of course, the crappy part of a vow of silence is that you can't explain what you're doing to people that ask.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:37 am 

Get over it.

I kinda thought it was more over the death of the gay guy more then anything... Which is kinda boo hoo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:39 am 

The point is, if you let some idiots who call you names and crap get to you, they win, and doing this "National Day of Silence" because you get bullied or something is only going to draw attention to yourself and make it worse.

In my 7th period class, a group of kids that I thought I was done with after 8th grade are my classmates. Everyday, they yell out words that I said years past when they were around me that got me angry. Now, back then, I would have gotten up and bonked some heads in, but now, because I know better and that my future will be ten times better than theirs if I don't do anything, I ignore it and tell my best friend that I hate him, simply because I can.

Now, if I can do that, (A villainously insane teenager), why can't any other average joe do it, too?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:45 am 

The point is, if you let some idiots who call you names and crap get to you, they win, and doing this "National Day of Silence" because you get bullied or something is only going to draw attention to yourself and make it worse.

In my 7th period class, a group of kids that I thought I was done with after 8th grade are my classmates. Everyday, they yell out words that I said years past when they were around me that got me angry. Now, back then, I would have gotten up and bonked some heads in, but now, because I know better and that my future will be ten times better than theirs if I don't do anything, I ignore it and tell my best friend that I hate him, simply because I can.

Now, if I can do that, (A villainously insane teenager), why can't any other average joe do it, too?

Tru dat.

I'm not a big advocate for the "against the bullies" movements just because I like seeing people get their teeth kicked in, then crawling up from the ashes of adversity to become something so much stronger. Just like I did. It's a much more satisfying feeling. ... Not that I'm saying that bullies are good things or anything, though it does help grow a thicker skin...

But some people play victim their entire life. Most of them form bands and produce crappy music about crawling in their oh-so-delicate wounded skin.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:52 am 

People fail to understand:
Homophobia is a form of discrimination. You don't walk up to someone of a different race and call them a derogatory name, people realize that. It's wrong.
Yet they don't seem to practice tolerance for homosexuals. To kill someone because of their sexual orientation is not only murder, but a hate crime.
I fully support the cause.

The thing about keeping quiet making things worse is... usually inaccurate.
A gay person infuriating a homophobe by keeping silent is a bad idea. But usually, I see gays harassed for attention. "Haha, that kid likes people of the same gender. He's a minority! This is my perfect opportunity to make fun of him and make the kids around me laugh!"
If you just ignore that, it'll end.

As for bullies, they aren't hateful, they just have it rough. They need guidance. They need to stop, nobody should have to put up with that kind of thing, but it's always going to be there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:54 am 

In a satanic view, those types of people are called Psychic Vampires, who feed off of your life force, meaning that they are just mooches who get you to do everything for them by making themselves look weak and defenseless.

Also, WU, we already said all that earlier on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:56 am 

Also, WU, we already said all that earlier on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:36 am 

My school has a day of silence for LGBT but also on another day earlier in the school year to show how many people die from bad decisions or something.

For the latter they have a grim reaper come to a class, have a person read a poem and, when they go out in the hall, that person gets Xs painted on their faces.

but anyway

Would you discriminate against me because I have a fat fetish?

That was why I left porplemontage, out of embarrassment

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:33 pm 
Pizza Pizza

this-guy wrote:
Would you discriminate against me because I have a fat fetish?

As long as you don't have a little kid fetish, or some other sort of illegal thing, I say do your thing, man, do your thing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:48 pm 

Location: oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Correction: having a little kid fetish is not by any means illegal.

Having inclinations toward something =/= acting upon such inclinations.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:53 pm 
Pizza Pizza

HipHoppityFrogOfValue wrote:
Correction: having a little kid fetish is not by any means illegal.

Having inclinations toward something =/= acting upon such inclinations.

Didn't say it was.
It should be, though. Unless you're a little kid.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:09 pm 

I was responding to
Quote:
As long as you don't have a little kid fetish, or some other sort of illegal thing

which seems to imply that you originally said it was illegal.

I also find it interesting that you seem to be a proponent of punishment for victimless crimes, then, but whatever.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:12 pm 
Pizza Pizza

I was responding to
Quote:
As long as you don't have a little kid fetish, or some other sort of illegal thing

which seems to imply that you originally said it was illegal.

I also find it interesting that you seem to be a proponent of punishment for victimless crimes, then, but whatever.

I meant a little kid fetish, or an illegal fetish.
Didn't we already have a discussion of how pedophilia is anything but victimless?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:19 pm 

WordNet, online dictionary wrote:
pedophilia n.a sexual attraction to children

I think you're confusing having pedophile-related thoughts with actually raping children. The former hurts no one, while the latter does. Thus the predisposition to have that orientation shouldn't be made illegal.

And yeah, I think there's a thread about this somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:09 am 

WordNet, online dictionary wrote:
pedophilia n.a sexual attraction to children

I think you're confusing having pedophile-related thoughts with actually raping children. The former hurts no one, while the latter does. Thus the predisposition to have that orientation shouldn't be made illegal.

As long as the person having the thoughts knows that those thoughts are wrong and shouldn't be acted on... otherwise that person needs mental help. I just like to generalize and say that people need to better themselves to the point of not relying on thoughts like that for pleasure or whatnot and it should be heavily discouraged to the point of banning things that promote it.

I don't know why this even came about because being gay or lesbian ≠ being a pedophile.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:17 pm 

I tried doing the day of silence this year, but as soon as I woke up I started muttering random words :((

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:48 pm 

Location: Inside of a shirt,underwear,pants,shoes and under a hat
I think it's epic failure, no matter what the cause.

For the record, I support the cause, but think this is just a stupid way to do it.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:15 am 

I agree, I support the cause and the people who do make it through the whole day, but your gunna
end up having to speak at one point or another. But I partly support the way they do it also, because how else
are they gunna spread the word and get people to understand. Nobody listens to other peoples words now-a-days,
so I guess they would just have to do the opposite to get the peoples attention and understanding. :-D :-D

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:56 am 

Quote:
But I partly support the way they do it also, because how else
are they gunna spread the word and get people to understand.

By actually...saying something about their message? If nobody says anything then you don't have a clue what they're doing. They could be protesting Scrubs's move to ABC or something.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:44 pm 

Well, looking at the Day of Silence website, I think the intention was to do this as an organized event in schools, which presumably means an announcement would be made explaining the silence thing. Or else there would be posters or whatever explaining it.

- Kef

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:34 am 

Yet another stupid idea for people to "support" a cause without doing jack squat for it.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:36 am 

Simon Zeno wrote:
Yet another stupid idea for people to "support" a cause without doing jack squat for it.

IN AMERICA!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next