Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Principal calls parents to tell them their son is gay
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:50 am 

In a public school in Memphis, a principal, annoyed that students were kissing in the hallways, made a list of all the couples in the school, hetero or homosexual. Then she decided to post the list of the couples publicly, and inform the parents of these couples that the kids were dating. One of these couples was a gay couple of two juniors. According to the mother of one of the boys, the principal said things like "Did you know your son is gay?" repeatedly and went on to say that she didn't like gay people and wouldn't tolerate homosexuality at her school. She went on to tell the boys that they wouldn't be allowed to walk together or study together.

I think that this is absolutely terrible and indefensible. This is just an extreme breach of privacy, and the principal appears to be no more that a bigot. This is the school's response:

Quote:
In light of this information from LeMoyne-Owen faculty and staff, the principal of Hollis F. Price made several general announcements to the student body that this [sexual] behavior would not be tolerated. Regrettably, the improper behavior continued. Therefore, the principal felt it appropriate to notify the parents of those children she knew to be involved romantically. This was done in an effort to gain the support of the parents in reinforcing the message that such behavior is in violation of Memphis City Schools’ Student Code of Conduct. The principal did not list any information other than students’ names on her personal call list, and she certainly did not specify the sexual orientation of any student. Additionally, the list was never posted publicly anywhere at the school.

What do you think should be the consequences for the principal, if any at all? Where should the line be drawn, at creating a list of couples in the first place, at posting it publicly, or notifying the parents, or not at all?

http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/new...f0-32e19ef30474

http://www.aclu.org/lgbt/youth/35094prs20080429.html

Post subject: Re: Principal calls parents to tell them their son is gay
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:10 am 

Location: All the way on the other side of the internet. Really.
While gay couples creep me out (not being a bigot here, just stating my opinion. shut up.) I don't really care much if they exist or not.

But, yeah, the principal's being a butthole.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:11 am 

That tick deserves every sort of punishment that could possibly be issued against her.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:12 am 

Burn the witch, burn the witch. haha

I'm the type of person who doesn't approve of public-displays-of-affection-in-educational-settings... HOWEVER, that is totally extreme. That person should never be allowed in the educational system what-so-ever.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:14 am 

Lunar Jesty wrote:
She went on to tell the boys that they wouldn't be allowed to walk together or study together.
Did she do this for hetero couples?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:12 am 

Lunar Jesty wrote:
Quote:
In light of this information from LeMoyne-Owen faculty and staff, the principal of Hollis F. Price made several general announcements to the student body that this [sexual] behavior would not be tolerated. Regrettably, the improper behavior continued. Therefore, the principal felt it appropriate to notify the parents of those children she knew to be involved romantically. This was done in an effort to gain the support of the parents in reinforcing the message that such behavior is in violation of Memphis City Schools’ Student Code of Conduct. The principal did not list any information other than students’ names on her personal call list, and she certainly did not specify the sexual orientation of any student. Additionally, the list was never posted publicly anywhere at the school.

What do you think should be the consequences for the principal, if any at all? Where should the line be drawn, at creating a list of couples in the first place, at posting it publicly, or notifying the parents, or not at all?

http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/new...f0-32e19ef30474

http://www.aclu.org/lgbt/youth/35094prs20080429.html

In your quote there, it says that the list was never posted publicly anywhere at the school, so thats out. Notifying the parents is okay, because I'd want to know if my son is dating the school slut, the hot nerd, or the gay kid. Without said list, they wouldn't have been able to notify the parents, but if knowing that all that crap would happen if the list was made, it would be drawn there.

IMO, this is something thats going to be blown way out of proportion. This is, again, a private matter between two individuals and should be left at that.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:17 am 

I think it's an invasion of privacy, and if the parents really WANT to know, they can, like, get the information themselves.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:32 am 

Unless they kiss during lessons and get distracted from their schoolwork, I can't see what the problem is. And what kind of a lurker goes around making lists of who's dating who? And what's so important about it that they have to notify the parents?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:16 am 

Choc-o-Lardiac Arrest wrote:
In your quote there, it says that the list was never posted publicly anywhere at the school, so thats out. Notifying the parents is okay, because I'd want to know if my son is dating the school slut, the hot nerd, or the gay kid. Without said list, they wouldn't have been able to notify the parents, but if knowing that all that crap would happen if the list was made, it would be drawn there.

It wasn't posted publicly as in "on the walls of the main hallway," but it was pinned up on the principal's office. It was in plain view for any gossipy teacher or any kid who gets sent to the principal's office to read. Did you read the article? Both kids were harassed once the news of their sexuality was out, by the teachers and the students. It's not okay to notify the parents: there is a reasonable right of privacy in a school. You can call parents to talk about grades, because that's pertinent to school. You can call parents to talk about breaches of rules, because that's pertinent to school. Being in a non-disruptive couple? Well, that's not pertinent to school, and students have a reasonable expectation of privacy to have that not be revealed.

Quote:
IMO, this is something thats going to be blown way out of proportion. This is, again, a private matter between two individuals and should be left at that.

Huh, that's funny, I see at least five people who are directly involved.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:15 pm 

Then its a funking private matter between five individuals, and its all gonna get blown out of proportion.

Also, the ACLU is all rabble rousers who think by complaining to the media, whatever they're fighting against will submit.

EDIT, wait... One of them is black?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:45 pm 

wait... One of them is black?

I think we solved the mystery.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:51 pm 

Then its a funking private matter between five individuals, and its all gonna get blown out of proportion.

Also, the ACLU is all rabble rousers who think by complaining to the media, whatever they're fighting against will submit.

Can I have a side-order of facts with those opinions?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:02 pm 

Lunar Jesty wrote:

Can I have a side-order of facts with those opinions?

So then you think that its our business what some principal in Memphis does to some gay students? I have some family secrets, I guess thats your business too. Teachers berate me once or twice a week, I guess you, some guy I don't know nor give a crap about, should know and be the first to have a say in it, right?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:40 pm 

So then you think that its our business what some principal in Memphis does to some gay students? I have some family secrets, I guess thats your business too. Teachers berate me once or twice a week, I guess you, some guy I don't know nor give a crap about, should know and be the first to have a say in it, right?

What are you talking about? I don't see any connection. How does having a family secret relate to someone posting the names of all the couples for all to see in the principal's office and calling the parents, telling them their son is gay, then telling them how she doesn't like gay people? Eagerly awaiting your reply!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:26 pm 

Lunar Jesty wrote:

What are you talking about? I don't see any connection. How does having a family secret relate to someone posting the names of all the couples for all to see in the principal's office and calling the parents, telling them their son is gay, then telling them how she doesn't like gay people? Eagerly awaiting your reply!

Its none of your business.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:50 pm 

Lunar Jesty wrote:

Its none of your business.

Hey you know that thing you post a lot well this is where I'd post it if I was willing to do that which I'm not

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:58 pm 

You don't seem to understand.

THIS IS NONE OF OUR BUSINESS.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:06 pm 

You don't seem to understand.

THIS IS NONE OF OUR BUSINESS.

If you're worried about things that are your business why are you in R&P again? The Bible is none of our business. The UFO sighting is none of our business. Elliott Spitzer? Yep, none of our business. The point of arguing Religion and Politics is to argue about things that aren't our business; to make it our business. Things like this set a precedent for other things, and then it will be a little closer to our business.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:09 pm 

How about this? These kids' sexual orientation is NO ONE's business, least of all their principal. It shouldn't matter to anyone except the actual students involved in it.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:19 pm 

Lunar Jesty wrote:
If you're worried about things that are your business why are you in R&P again? The Bible is none of our business. The UFO sighting is none of our business. Elliott Spitzer? Yep, none of our business. The point of arguing Religion and Politics is to argue about things that aren't our business; to make it our business. Things like this set a precedent for other things, and then it will be a little closer to our business.

Lets see, The Bible is the book of the religion that I was raised on, so Its my business, I had something that could contribute to whats his face's UFO sighting, and I don't really recall posting in the Elliot Spitzer thread because, once again, its none of our business.

What could this set precedent for? Nothing other than trashing some principals beliefs and calling her a bigoted Bad word, and eventually saying the same thing that always gets said in threads of this sort: "were all against the obvious arse because we're smart and belive everyone has equal rights!"

Seriously, we need some funkin diversity here.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:34 pm 

"were all against the obvious arse because we're smart and belive everyone has equal rights!"

Usually the belief that everyone has equal rights is accurate, because people do deserve equal rights.

What, exactly, are you trying to say here?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:42 pm 

AbuGrape45 wrote:
"were all against the obvious arse because we're smart and belive everyone has equal rights!"

Usually the belief that everyone has equal rights is accurate, because people do deserve equal rights.

I'm saying that we all ahve the same opinions, and its making for a much less enjoyable debate.

"I hate biogts"

"Me too!"

"I hate them more than you!"

"We hate bigots equally!"

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:59 pm 

I'm saying that we all ahve the same opinions, and its making for a much less enjoyable debate.

That's making an assumption. The whole purpose of making a topic about something is to find out what peoples' opinions are on a certain subject. The phrase "What do you think" or something like it is usually stated in the first post.

Lunar Jesty wrote:
What do you think should be the consequences for the principal, if any at all?

By the way, with what you're saying, you think we should

- Not allow people to talk about the news
- Not allow people to report the news, for it is almost positive that it will cause discussion

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:07 am 

I'm all for not making a big deal of certain events that happen, because usually they do get blown out of proportion and they don't tell the entire facts of the story.

However, when people feel angry they're apt to bring the news into it, it gets sensationalized, and the 'witch burnings' happen.

In my opinion, the Principal should've kept the proper channels to discipline students. Because she didn't, she gets what she gets. It's easy enough to tell a set of parents "Your son has been doing public displays of affection lately, it has become a distraction and I need to issue him this warning" without bringing up the sex/who the other person was. It's up to the parents to take it a step further with their son. But who knows. Maybe this was all an elaborate 'revenge' plot, but because it's now public it's still a point of debate.

COLA's opinion is different then the 'norm of this forum', because of that he's allowed to be questioned, but he's also allowed to not answer questions SO ULTIMATELY... let's just all hold hands and sing songs. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:43 pm 

"I hate biogts"

"Me too!"

edited to make it make more sense

Last edited by Starcraft Maniac on Tue May 13, 2008 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:12 pm 

Starcraft Maniac wrote:

"I hate biogts"

"Me too!"

What an excellent contribution.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:02 am 

AbuGrape45 wrote:
Starcraft Maniac wrote:

"I hate biogts"

"Me too!"

What an excellent contribution.
Responding to spam and not making a contribution to the topic at hand is spam too.

I think the principal was way in the wrong on this and showed a complete lack of respect and tact. You never out someone like that. That is interfering in an area that is none of her business. If I were the parents of those students, I would want her job served to me on a silver platter.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:36 pm 

AbuGrape45 wrote:

It doesn't matter, you don't show yourself from a viewpoint you don't stand for because it's more fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:24 pm 

Word Up wrote:
It doesn't matter, you don't show yourself from a viewpoint you don't stand for because it's more fun.

Eh? Why not? It's called "playing devil's advocate". Nothing wrong with it.

Usually best to point out you're doing so when you do it, though. Avoids confusion.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:21 pm 

Yeah, the principal belongs in jail.
That's invasion of privacy, and even though they're gay, they still have rights.
I say they should move to Michigan (or whichever state it is) so they can be wed.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next