Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Homosexual Thread (This thread is sooo gay!)
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:51 am 

Einoo T. Spork wrote:
Jitka wrote:
Einoo T. Spork wrote:
Hopefully this thread will not end as disastrously as the previous big thread dealing with gay issues.

Have no fear. Rosalie's gone.

But Jitka...

I'm Rosalie...

If that's so, how do you react to my saying that CHRISTMAS IS A CHRISTIAN HOLIDAY DANGIT AND I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR FAKE PAGAN CRAP?

also whoo, gay people, rock on. Like Demitri Martin, not gay, but supportive.

Last edited by furrykef on Fri May 16, 2008 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rule 6

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:32 am 

Quote:
Most of our users who places a HEAVY faith in a literal interpretation of the Bible and other such things have moved on from the forum. There are still people here who do that, but it's not as big as it used to be.

Maybe they were mostly driven off.

You ever think about that?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:51 am 

lahimatoa wrote:
Quote:
Most of our users who places a HEAVY faith in a literal interpretation of the Bible and other such things have moved on from the forum. There are still people here who do that, but it's not as big as it used to be.

Get your this-forum-is-big-and-scary-and-evil-whatever-attitude out of my homo-thread please. Thanks. :(
PM me if you have problems with something, but otherwise no no no. Keep it light, or go darker only if it's in regards to gayness.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:28 am 

Oh, you'd rather this thread stay on its original topic?

Odd. You're scary when you're all strict. It sucks, and it's a total downer. I hate it. X-(

But I will respect your request.

In my opinion, courts shouldn't legislate. They are there to interpret existing law, and it looks an awful lot like the California courts strayed from their original purpose.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:33 am 

lahimatoa wrote:
Oh, you'd rather this thread stay on its original topic?

Odd. You're scary when you're all strict. It sucks, and it's a total downer. I hate it. X-(

But I will respect your request.

In my opinion, courts shouldn't legislate. They are there to interpret existing law, and it looks an awful lot like the California courts strayed from their original purpose.

As for your first nasty comment, I'm going to PM you about that.

As for your on topic discussion - In my opinion, I believe they should've let the people of California decide with a vote again, but oh well. Courts like to jump over the horse, which gives the idiots loopholes to stick their noses where it doesn't belong.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:29 am 

I never understood the point of marriage as a concept. Why can't people just find someone they like and live together without bothering with all the bureaucracy? It just complicates things, especially for group relationships.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:07 pm 

DukeNuke wrote:
I never understood the point of marriage as a concept. Why can't people just find someone they like and live together without bothering with all the bureaucracy? It just complicates things, especially for group relationships.

Main reasons: Commitment and Benefits.
I like your concept better, though. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:01 pm 

lahimatoa wrote:
Quote:

Nope. Didymus, Ian, and Somm-1 all seem to have left of their own vocation.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:00 pm 

Einoo T. Spork wrote:

Frickin' Wes. *grumble*

That was the most hilarious/offensive thing ever.

CL, THAT'S why those things were said in RT.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:33 am 
Pizza Pizza

TheFacelessEvil wrote:
DukeNuke wrote:

Main reasons: Commitment and Benefits.
I like your concept better, though. :)

Marriage means little to commitment, seeing as how something like 50% of marriages end in divorce within 10 years.
Benefits, yes (both company provided, and "side-effect benefits" like having a lower auto insurance rate)

If it weren't for religious issues (marriage is a union, a solemn vow to God between myself and my wife that we'll love, honor, obey.. yadda yadda, richer, poorer, yadda yadda..), I would totally agree with Duke. For those who aren't religious, I couldn't agree with him more. It seems like you're just complicating your life by involving the government for no real reason.

With that said, I congratulate gays in California for having their unions recognized. Also, I have to ask "Do you really know what you're getting yourselves into?" To steal a joke from Carlos Mencia (meaning it was probably stolen from someone else), "Why are you giving up the ability to break up without losing half your stuff?!?!"

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:18 am 

StrongRad wrote:
If it weren't for religious issues (marriage is a union, a solemn vow to God between myself and my wife that we'll love, honor, obey.. yadda yadda, richer, poorer, yadda yadda..), I would totally agree with Duke. For those who aren't religious, I couldn't agree with him more. It seems like you're just complicating your life by involving the government for no real reason.

Well, of course the government involvement wouldn't be necessary whether you're a Christian or not. I've long been in favor of the complete elimination of marriage from a legal standpoint. Doesn't mean you can't get married, just means it would have no legal meaning.

- Kef

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:17 pm 
Pizza Pizza

furrykef wrote:
StrongRad wrote:

Well, of course the government involvement wouldn't be necessary whether you're a Christian or not. I've long been in favor of the complete elimination of marriage from a legal standpoint. Doesn't mean you can't get married, just means it would have no legal meaning.

- Kef
That wouldn't be so bad, I don't think. Of course, it might complicate things from a "benefits" standpoint, but I don't know. I'm sure the "benefits" part would complicate things.

"benefits"= adding one to your insurance, cheaper auto insurance, etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:54 pm 

StrongRad wrote:
That wouldn't be so bad, I don't think. Of course, it might complicate things from a "benefits" standpoint, but I don't know. I'm sure the "benefits" part would complicate things.

"benefits"= adding one to your insurance, cheaper auto insurance, etc.

Yeah. And it would complicate things if you decided to split from your partner and didn't keep recipes on everything you two, or three, or four, decided to purchase together. You see roommates/friends get into lawsuits like this pretty frequently, and it's hard to be fair when you don't have documentation.

Not saying divorce is fair on a regular basis, but at least things are split. Both of you pretty much have to start fresh on that. Unless you have children, then it's even more complicated, and who takes care of them in a non-marriage group situation? I mean, man, the complications are endless! The whole '2 people, married' concept cleans it up a lot more, from an administrative point of view. For the most part.

On the homo side of things: So... my partner and I may be getting married soon because of the new laws, which means I'm 'coming out' to my parents. Who have a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy, and I've respected them enough not to out myself since I discovered gayness at 17, but...

Seriously, I need to just suck it up and do it. My eldest sister recommends I just wait until I have kids with my partner, but as I say "Who's intelligence are we insulting at that point? Hi mom, dad, I've been married to this chick for 10 years and we're going to adopt." it's like, come on?

Your perspective: Would you want your kids to come out right away, wait until they're in a committed relationship, waiting until their 50, or never? Seriously. Put yourself in the shoes of conservative, republican, religious parents.

Should I just play it safe and never do it? ha ha ha... *dies*

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:47 am 
Pizza Pizza

TheFacelessEvil wrote:
Put yourself in the shoes of conservative, republican, religious parents.

This conservative, republican, religious person says don't insult your parents' intelligence. I'm sure they're probably well on the way to figuring it out if you've known about being gay for any real length of time.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:28 am 

StrongRad wrote:
TheFacelessEvil wrote:

This conservative, republican, religious person says don't insult your parents' intelligence. I'm sure they're probably well on the way to figuring it out if you've known about being gay for any real length of time.

That wasn't the question.
I'm well aware that they are aware. I'm not 15.
It's a matter of actually "coming out" when they have a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy and saying "this is my wife, we're married and will eventually have children and she will pull my plug when I'm in the hospital and--" that crap. Plus family gatherings.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:45 am 
Pizza Pizza

TheFacelessEvil wrote:
StrongRad wrote:
TheFacelessEvil wrote:

It's a matter of actually "coming out" when they have a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy and saying "this is my wife, we're married and will eventually have children and she will pull my plug when I'm in the hospital and--" that crap. Plus family gatherings.

Oh...
Hmm...
I think they might be relieved to have it in the opening. Granted, there's the whole chance they'll flip out, but if the "know", then I don't think it'll really matter much.
This is just me talking. You can't really lump all conservative, republican, religious people into one group.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:46 am 

StrongRad wrote:
Oh...
Hmm...
I think they might be relieved to have it in the opening. Granted, there's the whole chance they'll flip out, but if the "know", then I don't think it'll really matter much.
This is just me talking. You can't really lump all conservative, republican, religious people into one group.

Maybe. I'm not suspecting a 'flip out', but it's that 'unacceptance' that kinda gets me. Considering how good our relationship is right now. Oh well.

I certainly can. I used to be one. 8D

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:23 am 
Pizza Pizza

TheFacelessEvil wrote:
StrongRad wrote:
Oh...
Hmm...

Maybe. I'm not suspecting a 'flip out', but it's that 'unacceptance' that kinda gets me. Considering how good our relationship is right now. Oh well.

I certainly can. I used to be one. 8D

I dunno.
My dad is a conservative republican religious type and his opinion is very different from mine regarding a lot of social issues.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:32 am 

StrongRad wrote:
I dunno.
My dad is a conservative republican religious type and his opinion is very different from mine regarding a lot of social issues.

My dad's a more laid back type... but it's just one of those uncertain things. Not like "I'm a teenager I'm insecure my parents will kill me" sort of way. It's the sort of way of, I've built up such a good relationship with them now, will this make me lose it?

One side says "Screw it, no biggie, their loss" but the other side wants to be close to my parents.

OH WELL. We'll see.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:58 am 

TheFacelessEvil wrote:

Just because you think they are aware doesn't mean they are aware.

Whenever I went out drinking or to a party I used to always tell my parents I was "going to a sleepover", and it was only after a couple of years of doing this that my parents realised I wasn't actually going to sleepovers!

I always figured they knew but just let me get away with it. How wrong I was.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:39 pm 

TheFacelessEvil wrote:
Your perspective: Would you want your kids to come out right away, wait until they're in a committed relationship, waiting until their 50, or never? Seriously. Put yourself in the shoes of conservative, republican, religious parents.

Hmm. That second part would be kind of difficult. It'd be like asking me to rewire my brain, and I'd naturally do it badly and wouldn't fool anybody, and basically be a walkin', talkin' straw man. See, lemme try it...

Lookit me, I'm a conservative Republican religious guy! Boy, this God guy sure is great! And that George Bush is the best president since Lincoln! WWJD? John 3:16! Wait, what was the question again? :mrgreen:

- Kef

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:44 pm 

Biscuithead wrote:
Just because you think they are aware doesn't mean they are aware.

True... but I think my parents are pretty on top of things.

george w. kef wrote:
Lookit me, I'm a conservative Republican religious guy! Boy, this God guy sure is great! And that George Bush is the best president since Lincoln! WWJD? John 3:16! Wait, what was the question again?

Can I borrow the car?

Post subject: Re: The Homosexual Thread AKA The Gay Agenda
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:53 pm 

I don't think the government should be allowed to choose who is allowed to get married, but, then again, the same argument could be used against drugs, and I think drugs should be able to banned. Even though there is the fact that gay marriage doesn't hurt anyone.

On younger gay/bi people, like me, it's really difficult. I live in a secular liberal household. I know my parents are okay with it. My mom wouldn't let me join the boy scouts because they don't allow gay people to be scoutmasters. My dad's cousin that we visit often lives with her partner. But I just know there would be some sort of awkwardness if I came out. Things would be different. I'm at least going to wait until college, in any case. I can't be there while they get used to it.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:56 pm 

Here's the thing about Boy Scouts: You can be gay in Boy Scouts(don't ask, don't tell), it's fine, you just can't sex people up/educate the boys ON sex. That's where the whole scandal about the Boy Scouts being 'discriminatory' stemmed up from in the first place. You shouldn't be discussing sex, hetero or otherwise, during any of the activities - as it isn't the point of the group.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:20 am 

My troop decided to try to convert me to Christianity.

I'm not in Boy Scouts anymore

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:38 am 

TheFacelessEvil wrote:
Here's the thing about Boy Scouts: You can be gay in Boy Scouts(don't ask, don't tell), it's fine, you just can't sex people up/educate the boys ON sex. That's where the whole scandal about the Boy Scouts being 'discriminatory' stemmed up from in the first place. You shouldn't be discussing sex, hetero or otherwise, during any of the activities - as it isn't the point of the group.

Maybe not, but I think it's not entirely improbable that you'd be kicked out if the scoutmaster saw you kissing someone of the same sex, or if you had your partner come meet you after a meeting.

I was writing a livejournal entry here but decided against it, but I'm a gay guy who's out to nearly no one.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:56 am 

I thought you had a girlfriend.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:59 am 

The Noid wrote:
I thought you had a girlfriend.

No, I don't think I've ever said that. I might have said I had a crush on a girl once, but I was 12 and she was just cute probably.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:21 am 

Holy crap, I didn't realize how many...homosexuals and bisexuals...we had here.

This is just like (gay joke)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:02 am 

Me, Magna, Funk, HHFOV, Jesty, Chekt, Mandy, Myrrh, Checkot, TeeFee, and Rammstein.

If you count people who have left.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next