Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Is underage drinking wrong?
Yes, God says it's wrong 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Yes, it's against the law 43%  43%  [ 25 ]
Maybe, but I don't care 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
No 28%  28%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 58
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:32 am 
Pizza Pizza

TheFacelessEvil wrote:
So yeah. Steer clear, in my opinion. I tend to trust those studies a heck of a lot more based on personal experience with alcohol if nothing else.

I'd take anything from the internet with a grain of salt until I know who put it there and who did the study.
I mean, I could turn up tons of things from MADD or SADD or certain churches (or their "institutes") that could show how alcohol will lead to the downfall of the human race.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:53 am 

StrongRad wrote:
TheFacelessEvil wrote:
So yeah. Steer clear, in my opinion. I tend to trust those studies a heck of a lot more based on personal experience with alcohol if nothing else.

I'd take anything from the internet with a grain of salt until I know who put it there and who did the study.
I mean, I could turn up tons of things from MADD or SADD or certain churches (or their "institutes") that could show how alcohol will lead to the downfall of the human race.

Very true. I'm just saying that there are studies, internet or no, that have conflicting data.

Ultimately, my own experience will rule in deciding which studies to trust.

edit: Now that I think about it, that's probably why I'm Atheist too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:45 am 

Wow, this must be R&P revival day.

Anyways, yeah I think the health benefits (and much larger detriments) of alcohol should really be considered. It doesn't even cross my mind when I drink.

But I've pretty much made up my mind in the time since I made this topic. I'm 17, I drink, regularly. There's a half-full beer bottle sitting next to my keyboard right now.

On a side note, usually I wouldn't post in R&P if I was drinking, but I made an exception.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:11 pm 

Biscuithead wrote:
Wow, this must be R&P revival day.

Anyways, yeah I think the health benefits (and much larger detriments) of alcohol should really be considered. It doesn't even cross my mind when I drink.

But I've pretty much made up my mind in the time since I made this topic. I'm 17, I drink, regularly. There's a half-full beer bottle sitting next to my keyboard right now.

On a side note, usually I wouldn't post in R&P if I was drinking, but I made an exception.

Yeahup. You're old enough to understand the problems with what you do.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:24 pm 

Haven't seen anyone else say this (may have missed it, though) but I thought it was worth saying:

The law may be wrong. Several people have said that. That's not the issue. Ignoring/disobeying the law is NOT the way to have the law changed. If anything, it reinforces the image they have that teenagers are reckless and don't respect authority.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:25 pm 

Bobsmith84 wrote:
Haven't seen anyone else say this (may have missed it, though) but I thought it was worth saying:

The law may be wrong. Several people have said that. That's not the issue. Ignoring/disobeying the law is NOT the way to have the law changed. If anything, it reinforces the image they have that teenagers are reckless and don't respect authority.

Good point!

Fact: Most teenagers ARE reckless and don't respect authority.

;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:04 pm 

Location: oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
The question is, does the authority deserve to be respected at all?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:05 pm 

HipHoppityFrogOfValue wrote:

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:29 am 

Anarchist.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:59 am 
Pizza Pizza

You have no right to complain that authority doesn't respect you if you don't give authority that same respect.
or something like that.

I always hear the "rebels without a clue" complaining about how they're treated like children, but that's how they act. The "suck-ups" that follow the rules tend to be treated with more respect and get more freedom.

I'm just sayin'.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:24 pm 

There are problems with trying to change the law. For one, it might not be changed. Furthermore, such change does not happen quickly except in the case of emergency, so whatever conditions that one feels needs to be changed will continue for an indefinite period of time while waiting around for some change that might not even happen.

There is also the issue that laws are painted with a broad brush. If 95% of people are believed not to be able to handle something at a certain age and 5% actually can, the law will be that it's illegal for 100% of them. It's impossible to enforce a law for 95% of the people and not the other 5%. Where to draw the line is unclear, and people will perceive the law as unfair: "why do I go to jail but my friend does not?" While it's an ugly solution, and of course the government will disagree with me, I personally think that having the law cover 100% and having the 5% simply ignore the law if they wish is an acceptable compromise.

Of course, there is also the issue of whether the battle over an issue like this is worth fighting for. I don't think being able to drink alcohol at an early age is really an issue worth fighting for (except in the case that Didymus pointed out that soldiers who go to war should be able to drink). But then, I don't understand what's so great about alcohol in the first place, so I don't know.

- Kef

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:17 am 

TheFacelessEvil wrote:

At first I didn't think you could get any cooler.

I was so wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:01 am 

Rusty wrote:
TheFacelessEvil wrote:

At first I didn't think you could get any cooler.

I was so wrong.

:blush: ... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:02 am 

Location: living in the sunling, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.
Okay, bumped, just because this I think is the best place to show this. We had a small party for two of the guys who were getting married soon, and to drink, we had sparkling cider, and champagne. Now, nothing special there, except for the name of the champagne:

Our best guess was that if you drink too much of it, your eyes get real big, your hair turns green, and you start flying around for no reason.

Oh, and yesterday marked six more months for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:30 am 

Capt. Ido Nos wrote:
Okay, bumped, just because this I think is the best place to show this. We had a small party for two of the guys who were getting married soon, and to drink, we had sparkling cider, and champagne. Now, nothing special there, except for the name of the champagne:

Our best guess was that if you drink too much of it, your eyes get real big, your hair turns green, and you start flying around for no reason.

Oh, and yesterday marked six more months for me.

lawl, nice.

Six more months? Of being alcohol-free?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:39 am 

TheFacelessEvil wrote:
I tried that for Lent. I have never wanted to hurt myself more.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:35 pm 

I've got you beat. I have 24 years. ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:46 pm 

I'm so proud of all y'all that can be alcohol-free and completely happy. Awesome milestones, and congratulations! You rule that alcohol, it doesn't rule you! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:57 pm 
Pizza Pizza

TheFacelessEvil wrote:
I'm so proud of all y'all that can be alcohol-free and completely happy. Awesome milestones, and congratulations! You rule that alcohol, it doesn't rule you! :)
I've not been "alcohol free", but I've certainly cut back on the drinking (I drink a little bit more than the little bit of wine from weekly communion, but not much; maybe a beer or two a week). I'm seeing results from the gym, and it seems like the more results I see, the easier it is to give up things that got me to where I was. This isn't to say I stay away from the sauce, but for the most part, I don't drink unless Holly's home (don't read anything into that other than I don't drink alone).

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:04 am 

Bobsmith84 wrote:

"'How can you advocate breaking some laws and obeying others?' The answer lies in the fact that there are two types of laws: just and unjust. I would be the first to advocate obeying just laws. One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that 'an unjust law is no law at all.' . . . Let us consider a more concrete example of just and unjust laws. An unjust law is a code that a numerical or power majority group compels a minority group to obey but does not make binding on itself. This is difference made legal. By the same token, a just law is a code that a majority compels a minority to follow and that it is willing to follow itself. This is sameness made legal."

-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Legal voting citizens who just so happen to fall in their first three years of that responsibility of the United States have less rights than others, by decisions exercised above them by people who are not affected by those decisions. Kinda Funk up? Yeah. I'm not a reckless teenager. I work full time and pay rent and go to school, but I still can't get a measly beer anytime I want just because I'm not 21 yet?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:43 am 

Location: living in the sunling, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.
TheFacelessEvil wrote:

lawl, nice.

*chuckle* You got me there :p Technically yes, it was six more months of alcohol free, but if you add them all up, you get to twenty years, six months, and three days of total alcohol-freeness.

I was more thinking of six months from now (minus three days) when I turn 21, when I will either do nothing, or have like one drink of something, say woot, and go to bed.

Heh, I really am glad that I can amuse myself without hitting the sauce at all. I can hardly imagine the crap I'd get myself into otherwise. At the very least, I enjoy not saying *everything* that pops into my head, and so does everyone else (although they don't realize it ^^;; )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:22 pm 

Capt. Ido Nos wrote:
*chuckle* You got me there :p Technically yes, it was six more months of alcohol free, but if you add them all up, you get to twenty years, six months, and three days of total alcohol-freeness.

I was more thinking of six months from now (minus three days) when I turn 21, when I will either do nothing, or have like one drink of something, say woot, and go to bed.

Heh, I really am glad that I can amuse myself without hitting the sauce at all. I can hardly imagine the crap I'd get myself into otherwise. At the very least, I enjoy not saying *everything* that pops into my head, and so does everyone else (although they don't realize it ^^;; )

Hee hee hee. Sorry about that, usually when people talk about alcohol and say a time, they usually mean 'of being alcohol-free'. But if it's six more months to the big 21... LET'S DRINK UP. :mrgreen:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5