Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Homosexual Thread AKA The Gay Agenda
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:14 pm 

furrykef wrote:
StrongRad wrote:
That's like talking about screwdrivers in a thread about laser printers.

They may be unrelated, but they're not that unrelated. Especially if you remember that furrydom has a huge proportion of gay people compared to most subcultures.

It's more like getting in a discussion about oranges in a thread about apples. They're still fruits (pun not intended).

I know no pun intended but: Hee hee hee!

But yeah, I have no problem with it. One of my biggest platforms is nature, and we're all animals in the end.

Not that I think society needs to do anything special for furry people, though. There are lots of laws I feel need to be changed for homosexuality, but I can't really think of anything a furry needs legalized. (And don't say 'marriage/sex with horses' or something, it's not the same thing)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:03 pm 

Court refuses to put a hold on marriages until the ballot in November (Catholic Online)
^ I use this news source to bring a different light on the issue. Here are some valid points:

"If the homosexual ‘marriage’ occurs during the months preceding the vote on the amendment, and the amendment is passed, what is the status of the civil contract?"

"If such couples proceed with the ceremony and then travel to a State such as New York to seek residency and the amendment passes, what happens? The Governor of New York unilaterally issued an Executive order requiring that such marriages be recognized by New York authorities."

In my opinion, all contracts would be null and void. Do you think that gay couples could then sue the state?

Addition: An article from a rabbi's perspective on Homosexuality <-- I enjoyed this read. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:38 am 

Its not the governments place to say who can get married.

Only the insurance companies can.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:55 am 

Choc-o-Lardiac Arrest wrote:
Its not the governments place to say who can get married.

Only the insurance companies can.

Has someone written a dystopian novel where insurance companies rule the world, yet?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:16 pm 

Oh nos, I may have to explain to my family why two women may kiss

"I would be uncomfortable" seeing public displays of affection between lesbians or gay men, said Jim Ridneour, a 54-year-old taxi driver. "I don't think it's right seeing women kissing in public. If I had my family there, I'd have to explain what's going on."

Personally, I'm not a fan of 'Public Displays of Affection', but since it does happen frequently it's more of the double standard issue here. What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:32 pm 

What I wonder is why kids apparently should be brought up in such a way that it needs "explaining" in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:33 pm 

furrykef wrote:
What I wonder is why kids apparently should be brought up in such a way that it needs "explaining" in the first place.

Dude, that's what I'm thinkin'!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:11 pm 
Pizza Pizza

TheFacelessEvil wrote:
furrykef wrote:

Dude, that's what I'm thinkin'!

If kids aren't exposed to anything but heterosexuality, they're not gonna understand it.
Confusion doesn't require them to be brought up being taught (to steal a REALLY old one) "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve".

Today, something hit me.
I find the use of words by the "pro-gay" and "anti-gay" people quite interesting. Those who are against gay rights like to call themselves "Pro-family" or "pro-values". The gay rights groups in this area are now calling themselves "fairness" groups. In a similar matter that I question the sincerity of "family values" groups in not attacking the nearly 50% divorce rate between hetero couples, I have to question the sincerity of "fairness" coalitions in not attacking racism or homelessness.

Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:12 pm 

StrongRad wrote:
In a similar matter that I question the sincerity of "family values" groups in not attacking the nearly 50% divorce rate between hetero couples, I have to question the sincerity of "fairness" coalitions in not attacking racism or homelessness.

I am 100% behind you on that one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:25 am 

StrongRad wrote:
In a similar matter that I question the sincerity of "family values" groups in not attacking the nearly 50% divorce rate between hetero couples, I have to question the sincerity of "fairness" coalitions in not attacking racism or homelessness.

Essentially, this is because there are only so many hours in a day. LGBT rights issues are multifold, varied and complex, as are issues of racial equality, homelessness, and so forth. Unless your organization is truly huge and rich in resources and volunteers you can only focus on so much. Some activist organizations only focus on specific aspects of the umbrella issue they fight for, or are geographically specific, or what have you. Remember, activists of whatever stripe are generally normal people -- literally your friends and neighbors -- who balance their activities with their jobs and home lives. The great majority of activists do what they do in their spare time and for no compensation whatsoever. It's unfair to expect them to tackle too much.

It doesn't matter what an organization calls itself; their names don't have to be specifically descriptive. The group's Statement of Purpose should tell you their particular aims.

Personally, I'd question the sincerity of people who do absolutely nothing to advance the causes they believe in long before I bothered about the activist community.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:59 am 

StrongRad wrote:
If kids aren't exposed to anything but heterosexuality, they're not gonna understand it.

But that's because it's swept under the rug in the first place. If you have it out in the open, then no explanation is necessary because it explains itself.

StrongRad wrote:
Those who are against gay rights like to call themselves "Pro-family" or "pro-values".

Which gets on my nerves severely. "Pro-values" I can tolerate (although I certainly don't like it) because values are subjective to begin with, but "pro-family" is a slap in the face to gay people by essentially calling them "anti-family". I haven't the slightest idea how being gay could possibly be anti-family -- unless the family is homophobic, which is their own problem.

- Kef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:53 pm 

furrykef wrote:
Which gets on my nerves severely. "Pro-values" I can tolerate (although I certainly don't like it) because values are subjective to begin with, but "pro-family" is a slap in the face to gay people by essentially calling them "anti-family". I haven't the slightest idea how being gay could possibly be anti-family -- unless the family is homophobic, which is their own problem.

I'm with you on that. How is a homosexual family any LESS pro-family then anybody else? It's like the people who promote this whole 'family values' scheme completely forget about the fact that there are a ton of heterosexual marriages that are filled with lies, abuse, and the ultimate sin(according to the bible) of adultery! Total double standards.

743 articles on the California gay marriage thing as of this morning.

Nice to see a lot of homo-ness in the news lately. There are so many interesting views.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:01 pm 

Location: oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_9BA7i3sgCU

Alan Keyes is completely wrong and hilarious but I have to admire his effort in defending an unjustifiable viewpoint. He gives a good idea at where many anti-gay people are coming from.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:07 am 

HipHoppityFrogOfValue wrote:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_9BA7i3sgCU

Alan Keyes is completely wrong and hilarious but I have to admire his effort in defending an unjustifiable viewpoint. He gives a good idea at where many anti-gay people are coming from.

Wow, most the comments on that video just blow my mind with their stupidity. That's our YouTube!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:22 pm 

- Kern and Butte County shuts down civil wedding ceremonies the day before gay marriage is allowed, due to 'budget/security' reasons.
- The Kern County Cleark bawwws when she doesn't get a warm reception to her decision.
- Hottie Mayor Newsom calls BS, and offers to go down to the counties to marry gay people himself.

Oh, the controversy. Anybody else going to shut down? Are protestors going to block the doors? Will this be the final straw and somebody will push the big red button to make California float off into the ocean?

HHFOV wrote:

I think I just choked on my drink... that was awesome. He's nuts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:13 am 

Same-sex marriages in California: a historic, yet 'subdued' day (San Jose Mercury News)

Aw, that's nice to see. Quiet, no mass protests, no injuries, no damages, no freak outs. *content sigh*

I cracked up at the comments in this article, though. Particularly this one "If GOD is so peeved at same-sex unions being legal in California, why is He taking out his anger on the midwest? Is His aim off or something? (Oh wait, He's perfect, so THAT can't be it.)"

Beautiful and sunny in gay California, though my wedding will be in January so I'm avoiding this heat. I think our state is also very eager to cash in on this legalization, too.

C'mon New York, will you be the next state?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:19 am 

I just posted in GTKY and realized that the term "straight" is very offending. Does that imply that gay people are crooked? That they're not on the "right" path?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:20 am 

Yes it does. I just noticed that.

If you're not straight you're an abomination and should be burned. [/tickedoff]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:29 am 

TheFacelessEvil wrote:
C'mon New York, will you be the next state?[/color]

Governor Patterson would sign legislation for it, but he's been blinded by the excitement.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:27 am 

RammsteinRunner wrote:
Yes it does. I just noticed that.

If you're not straight you're an abomination and should be burned. [/tickedoff]

Amen.

Ramrod wrote:
Governor Patterson would sign legislation for it, but he's been blinded by the excitement.

So you really DO go blind if you do that to much...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:37 am 

It doesn't matter! It never should! If I saw a gay couple, I wouldn't look more then I would a straight! People need to realize that because of who we are, you can't change it because of a Govenor saying so! We are made the way we are....you can't change that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:38 pm 

Askingforachallenge wrote:
I just posted in GTKY and realized that the term "straight" is very offending. Does that imply that gay people are crooked? That they're not on the "right" path?

Yep, and the term 'gay' implies that straight people are unhappy...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:43 pm 

ed 'lim' smilde wrote:
Askingforachallenge wrote:

Yep, and the term 'gay' implies that straight people are unhappy...

Hee hee. Yeah. I wonder how 'gay' was coined sometimes. Maybe they paired 'gay' behavior with someone who was 'eccentric'. It paints an image of the Victorian age, where a man had a wife and usually mistresses - but if he were 'gay' he was happy because he had men instead with no potential of unexpected pregnancies. Or the stereotype that all male relationships are no-strings-attached and therefore you could be 'flighty' without consequence.

I could probably just look it up on the internet, but... *lazes*

Edit:Here's another opinion article for y'all.: Marriages an inspiration, not 'disaster'. Usually an aggressive/sassy attitude about gayness puts me off, but it seemed a bit less arrogant when it came from a straight man.

Does your marriage feel a little less special today, straight couples?

Does knowing that octogenarian lesbians Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon had a legal wedding this week in San Francisco diminish, in retrospect, your legal wedding? Does their bond profane yours?

Not at our house it doesn't. My wife and I simply feel inspired. Martin and Lyon have been a couple for 56 years—twice as long as we've been together—and we see them as role models, not harbingers of the decline of the family.

I like that. Oh, and--

Next in Illinois: HB1826, legislation to establish civil unions statewide, is awaiting an up-or-down vote in the state House. Sponsor Greg Harris (D-Chicago) said Wednesday he believes the bill is still "a handful" of votes shy of passage. He plans to call it to the floor for a vote after November's election.

By that time "people will have seen thousands of wonderful couples getting married in California," Harris said. "They'll see that the sky didn't fall. Society will be better off."

Good luck Illinois. :) Any Illinois-ians here?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:36 pm 

TheFacelessEvil wrote:

Good luck Illinois. :) Any Illinois-ians here?[/color]

Dooce, CL, Sparkle, and Raamis, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:33 pm 

I think it's worth saying so I'll say this.

I have no problem with homosexuals whatsoever. What I do have a problem with is sexist homosexuals (ie man hating lesbians and woman hating gay men). I recently joined a club at my college and have had some sour experiences because there's a man hating lesbian in the club. It's made it hard to make friends.

I mean come on... just because you don't want sex with the opposite sex or find them attractive doesn't mean you should condemn everyone with genitalia opposite of yours.

I've said my piece...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:42 pm 

NeoKnight wrote:
I think it's worth saying so I'll say this.

I have no problem with homosexuals whatsoever. What I do have a problem with is sexist homosexuals (ie man hating lesbians and woman hating gay men). I recently joined a club at my college and have had some sour experiences because there's a man hating lesbian in the club. It's made it hard to make friends.

I mean come on... just because you don't want sex with the opposite sex or find them attractive doesn't mean you should condemn everyone with genitalia opposite of yours.

I've said my piece...

I 100% agree with you. Any hatred is unacceptable, in my eyes.

I'm a bit sexist myself, though, I'll be the first to admit it. I view men as objects most of the time. Objecs to be USED, mwa ha ha ha. But I can still make friends with them and hold them in high regard, but I don't hold them up to the same high standards that I have for women. And that's not a good thing, I shouldn't do that, but that's currently just the way I roll.

Ironically, back in the day I was a woman-hating-woman. I hated my own sex with a passion, and only had male friends. It spun around when I started dating. (No, I was never buuuuurned by a man, but I was buuuurned by a woman and I'm still dating them)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:52 pm 

TFE wrote:
I view men as objects most of the time. Objecs to be USED, mwa ha ha ha.

Explains the yaoi, anyways... :-|

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:53 pm 

Jitka wrote:
Explains the yaoi, anyways... :-|

I got into yaoi 10 years ago, when I thought men were the bee's knees. So no, it doesn't. I can explain the yaoi easier by saying I like porn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:21 am 

Location: oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
So do you enjoy yuri and such too?

Not writing it, I mean, but the product itself?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:04 pm 

HHFOV wrote:
So do you enjoy yuri and such too?

Not writing it, I mean, but the product itself?

The product itself is cute, but it doesn't flip my switch... if you know what I mean.
I have scripts that contain yuri pairings 'n stuff like that, so like... I'll write it for plot value but not for porn value.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next