Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How was it?
5/5: Awesome 20%  20%  [ 19 ]
4/5: Pretty cool. 33%  33%  [ 31 ]
3/5: Mediocre. 26%  26%  [ 24 ]
2/5: Poor. 17%  17%  [ 16 ]
1/5: Awful 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 94
 Post subject: Re: Trudgemank
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:28 am 

Kvb wrote:
Homestar Runner really is something you need to have grown up with.

I don't really agree with this, heck, just this year I figured out homestar runner even existed, and I've even gotten a friend into liking it (a little bit). Sure I don't get all the jokes, but just do a google or come here and I find out, either way it's most toons are still funny.

Although I do admit I didn't find this one as funny, I do get the Rap added into the Rock a little bit, my favorite part was (of course) the cheat, given himself a Pizza Trophy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:48 am 
Admin Styles

Given my age when I first saw Homestar Runner, I think it's weird that there are fans out there for whom the site has always (or practically always) existed and have thus literally been able to grow up with it.

I was hooked on Homestar literally from the first joke of the first toon I saw (which was "First Time Here", hence my username), so I think it all depends on the order you see things. A lot of smart, self-referential humor is the same way (Arrested Development springs to mind immediately). If someone can be introduced to that kind of humor from the first season (or in our case, by watching the best early stuff), then they'll get interested and want to see it all, and the in-jokes will eventually come naturally. If not, then it could be a miss.

When a series goes long enough, there's always going to be a tradeoff between original and self-referential humor. Unfortunately, I think too many shows and even H*R use self-referential humor as a crutch when they don't have a good original idea, and so the self-referential humor gets a bad name. When overused, I just feel like I've been there and done that. But when used judiciously, it can be gold.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:33 am 

Power Crunch wrote:
I'm going to be honest here. I COMPLETELY agree with you. With EVERYTHING you just said. Even with people thinking they're ripping off dethklok. I'm not gonna just say it's good just because TBC made it. This was awful.

I couldn't understand the lyrics, it was just completely random and NOT in any way at all funny. It was just stupid. Easily my least favorite thing on the entire site. I'd rather watch their oldest toons or 500 the cheats or whatever than this.

I'd definitely rather see a real toon. How about a new BIG toon TBC?

Thanks, although I was being a little critical that's exactly what I was getting at. I'm just saying the world won't end if you admit to not liking something that TBC make. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:00 pm 

I figured this out when "Rap Song" came out: I think TBC only do these things because they like the challenge of doing something it frame-by-frame, without the pressure of making it as clean and refined looking as their regular stuff. Case in point: the "bubble" effect in "Rap Song."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:17 pm 

Except this is much cleaner than most PBTC stuff. Not glitchy enough.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:26 pm 

I would imagine not many of you who are rating this toon as awful and claiming HR is going downhill have been at the business end of any venture that requires regular updates to keep viewership. Your little webcomic on your Geocities page doesn't count, either, unless your viewership consists of significantly more hits than you just checking you page to see if the hit counter has gone up.

Writing weekly content, especially weekly content that is supposed to be entertaining or funny is exceptionally difficult, and TBC are bound to have a miss now and then. That doesn't mean they're going downhill at all - it's just the nature of the beast. Trying to write funny content on a regular basis that isn't formulaic - especially funny content that is as clean as HR - is a serious challenge. Those of you who are claiming TBC are slipping should post up your own cartoon series with weekly updates and subject it to the wrath of the internet - I have a feeling you'll be surprised just how much work it is, and how disappointing and frustrating it is to hear people complain and moan about every little mistake and misstep you make.

Is "Trudgemank" my favorite toon? Not really. It had funny moments, especially for those of us who remember the rap-rock phenomenon of the early nineties, but it wasn't their best cartoon. Just because they have a cartoon or two that doesn't hold up to their very best doesn't mean they're slipping, however. TBC have release some absolutely brilliant cartoons as of late (The latest Cheat Commandos was fantastic, and "Hiding" was laugh-out-loud funny), and I have no doubt they will continue to do so.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:01 pm 

I don't think Sam could be any more on the mark. I won't get into it again and I do think it's fine to dislike something TBC put out or even offer criticism/suggestions. Those who presume to think they know best what TBC need to make next need to come down off their high horse, or step up and create their own internet phenomenon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:34 am 

Danimo wrote:
I don't think Sam could be any more on the mark. I won't get into it again and I do think it's fine to dislike something TBC put out or even offer criticism/suggestions. Those who presume to think they know best what TBC need to make next need to come down off their high horse, or step up and create their own internet phenomenon.

Every fan of anything always likes to think of what they'd like to see because whatever they are a fan of has come to mean something to them. I know I'd rather see a big toon starring Homestar then this.

And that's all there is to it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:11 am 

TheAlmightySam wrote:
I would imagine not many of you who are rating this toon as awful and claiming HR is going downhill have been at the business end of any venture that requires regular updates to keep viewership. Your little webcomic on your Geocities page doesn't count, either, unless your viewership consists of significantly more hits than you just checking you page to see if the hit counter has gone up.

Are you asserting that in order to have an opinion about something, one must be accomplished in that particular field? To say that a certain film is awful, do I first have to make a successful film? To say a musician's latest album isn't quite as good as his previous album, do I first have to go become a musical sensation?

TBC are artists. Artists have their ups and downs. Sometimes an artist hits the proverbial ceiling and needs to go through a low point before reaching a new peak in creativity.

I don't think that just because Trudgemank was mediocre that H*R is now doomed to spiral into perpetual crappiness; but I do think that this summer has been a particularly low point in the quality of TBC's output.

I've got a feeling that once this fall rolls around (especially with new Halloween toons) that the quality of the toons will begin to improve.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:10 pm 

jimstark wrote:
Are you asserting that in order to have an opinion about something, one must be accomplished in that particular field? To say that a certain film is awful, do I first have to make a successful film? To say a musician's latest album isn't quite as good as his previous album, do I first have to go become a musical sensation?

No, I'm saying before you go moaning about how they're going downhill/have jumped the shark/whatever over one or two cartoons you should at least try to imagine how difficult it is to create something of the magnitude of HR. Most of the people I see whining here have zero clue what it's like to write for an audience, and they use some really strong language against the cartoons they don't find as funny.

You can think what you will of this cartoon or any other - you're welcome to your opinion, of course. That said, however, an opinion means a whole lot more when it's educated, and the sort of negativism I see in this thread is far from a bunch of educated opinions, in general - it's whining.

"Meeeeehhhhh! I don't like this character! TBC have hit rock bottom because they didn't do what I think they should do! This is the worst thing they've ever made!"

"Meeeeeehhh!! TBC did something different from last week! They've jumped the shark!"

"Meeeeehhh! TBC did something the same as last week! They've gotten formulaic!"

Whining.

jimstark wrote:
TBC are artists. Artists have their ups and downs. Sometimes an artist hits the proverbial ceiling and needs to go through a low point before reaching a new peak in creativity.

I don't think that just because Trudgemank was mediocre that H*R is now doomed to spiral into perpetual crappiness; but I do think that this summer has been a particularly low point in the quality of TBC's output.

I've got a feeling that once this fall rolls around (especially with new Halloween toons) that the quality of the toons will begin to improve.

This opinion contains some substance. I don't agree with it entirely, but I can see where you're coming from. This is not hyperbole or whining, this is an educated reply. Thus, you're not really a member of the group of complainers I'm referencing.

This thread has people complaining that a rapper singing with a death metal band is random and unbelieveable. That's what I'm referring to. Complaints with no frame of reference. It's like walking into an art gallery and complaining that the Piet Mondrian paintings are just a bunch of straight lines or the Paul Klee paintings have too many arrows. Yeah a rapper singing with a heavy metal band is ridiculous - that's why they're making fun of it, because it happened, a lot, during the '90s. Those of us old enough to remember Public Enemy find it funny, or at least understand where the humor comes from.

This is not the only thread that's like this. There seems to be a lot of fussing on this forum about the work of TBC, and frankly, a lot of it is negative. Constructive criticism is one thing - feedback is great. But wanton negativism? How does that help?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:42 am 
Admin Styles

I've reread this entire thread, and I don't see any of the whining you're talking about. A few people wished that an email or some other toon with a story had been released instead, and a couple of people said that the mere fact that TBC made this toon wasn't enough for them to like it per se, but nobody had even hinted that the entire Homestar Runner body of work might be declining until you mentioned it. I see a lot of people saying the song wasn't their favorite, but I don't see anyone in this thread going further than that. Even the most negative comment ("That was complete garbage") applies only to this toon.

Writing entertaining material is indeed exceptionally difficult (I know I personally wouldn't want it to be my livelihood), and there are simply going to be times when something misses, especially something as esoteric as Taranchula. Or PbTC. Combine them and who knows what's gonna happen. Still, 70% of those responding to the poll have indicated 3/5 or better. That's not bad considering.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:07 am 

TheAlmightySam wrote:
Constructive criticism is one thing - feedback is great. But wanton negativism? How does that help?

It's not as though the purpose of this forum is to offer suggestions to TBC on how to improve their cartoons. It's for people to share their ideas about the cartoons, even if their opinions are "H*R has jumped the shark." There's nothing wrong or uneducated about that opinion. Since when do you have to be educated in order to watch internet flash cartoons?

This isn't a workshop where everyone must offer constructive criticism. It's just a forum of people's opinions. And I think alot of the "whiners" are people expressing the sentiment that "Trudgemank" is indicitive of the quality slippage of late. Honestly, the last cartoon that made me laugh out loud was "specially marked."

But you may think this cartoon is the best thing since sliced bread, and that's okay too. Why should wanton positivism be treated any different than wanton negativism?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:18 am 

This reminded me of an Animutation. :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animutation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:38 am 

jimstark wrote:
TheAlmightySam wrote:
Constructive criticism is one thing - feedback is great. But wanton negativism? How does that help?

It's not as though the purpose of this forum is to offer suggestions to TBC on how to improve their cartoons. It's for people to share their ideas about the cartoons, even if their opinions are "H*R has jumped the shark." There's nothing wrong or uneducated about that opinion. Since when do you have to be educated in order to watch internet flash cartoons?

This isn't a workshop where everyone must offer constructive criticism. It's just a forum of people's opinions. And I think alot of the "whiners" are people expressing the sentiment that "Trudgemank" is indicitive of the quality slippage of late. Honestly, the last cartoon that made me laugh out loud was "specially marked."

But you may think this cartoon is the best thing since sliced bread, and that's okay too. Why should wanton positivism be treated any different than wanton negativism?

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:14 pm 

>.>

<.<

I thought it was pretty funny...
Kvb wrote:
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.
Holy crap, you're alive!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:38 pm 

...Wow, you guys.

Just repeat to yourself it's just a show I should really just relax

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:53 pm 

I thought it was kind of funny. Taranchula and Pbtc stuff always tickle my fancy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:55 pm 

Duecex2 wrote:
I thought it was kind of funny. Taranchula and Pbtc stuff always tickle my fancy.

Is your avatar Thom from Radiohead?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:59 pm 

um, yeah. now shut up and jam.

but anyway I totally feel the peoples who didn't care for this one. But in my opinion, it just didn't seem THAT bad to me. It was just "ehhhh".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:01 pm 

Duecex2 wrote:
but anyway I totally feel the peoples who didn't care for this one. But in my opinion, it just didn't seem THAT bad to me. It was just "ehhhh".

Totally.
It wasn't great,but it wasn't bad.
:eekdance:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:13 pm 

I was so irked by the discussion in this thread, I had to register just so I could say my 2 cents; I'm a long time reader, first time poster....an LTRFTP, if you will.

What amazes me, all opinions about Trudgemank aside, is the sheer gall it takes to actively complain about FREE entertainment.

Furthermore, all opinions about Trudgemank a....front? It is very clear that this parody was lost on a LOT of people. For those that questioned why a rapper would be doing anything with a metal band, I can only assume that you were joking, really young, living under a rock for the past 20 years, or a friggin' idiot. Having said that, if you didn't like it, say so and move on. Nobody wants to hear your blow-by-blow analysis on what the bros. are doing wrong THIS time, and how things used to be so much better back in the day, yada yada, ad naseum.

I'm not getting the complaints about the 'toons being all "in-jokes" now either. I mean, yeah, for a large part they are, but I don't find it detrimental. Heck, the first sbemail I ever saw was "best thing", and not only did I think it was hilarious, but I spent the next few hours going thru all the toons on the site because I knew I was missing out. So if anything, the self-reference drew me into the series....it sure didn't put me off.

Could just be me though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:08 am 
Admin Styles

It's dot com wrote:
I've reread this entire thread, and I don't see any of the whining complaining you're talking about.

Again, by and large, I really don't see a problem with this thread. For the most part, people either liked it or were at least neutral towards it, with only a few people expressing strong dislike. I don't see anybody bashing TBC. A couple of people hint that their recent quality might be at worst slipping, but nobody's shouting doom and gloom.

It's true that Homestar Runner doesn't cost anything money-wise (unless you want it to), but it's still not quite free. If someone is posting on a Homestar forum, then it's likely that they've invested a lot of time in it and have an emotional attachment to the body of work. Anytime something new doesn't hit the mark, a person like that is likely to feel threatened (at least subconsciously) and have a strong negative reaction. And, as long as they're civil, this forum is the place to post those reactions.

Now, can we please stop talking about the thread and get back to talking about the toon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:35 am 

Doesn't this remind ANYBODY of an Animutation?
I need to relate to someone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:27 am 

I'd give it a 3. I'm not going to elaborate: I just thought it wasn't that great for a Powered by the Cheat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:11 am 

theallmightyq wrote:
What amazes me...is the sheer gall it takes to actively complain about FREE entertainment.

So, one must also never express negative opinions about broadcast TV, right?

I think It's dot com is very accurate in stating that people feel an emotional attachment to this body of work, and become very disappointed with cartoons that don't fulfill their expectations. I don't feel threatened by "Trudgemank" per se, but it was a let-down. TBC are extremely clever people, and I think they could have done much better than "Trudgemank."

I love PbtC stuff, but "Trudgemank" lacks what makes PbtC funny: bad voices and non-sensical dialogue (and to a lesser degree, bad animation). Actually, the bad voices are a form of self-referential humor (they're not funny unless you know what the voices are supposed to sound like), so I don't think that's the problem with this toon. I think PbtC was the wrong form for this music video to take.

I would have much prefered a Limozeen song guest starring Peacey P. Taranchula wasn't ever really that funny (though their video for "Decoupage" was kinda humorous because of the animation. Perhaps if "Trudgemank" was done in that style, it would have been funnier.)

But, yeah, it's just a minute and a half cartoon, I should just shut up and wait for the next one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:32 am 

They need to put the mp3 up for download. I need some Trudgemank action on my iPod!

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure
about the former" - Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:13 pm 

Radiohead rules.

Anywhoo this too wasn't a classic like the latest cheat commandoes toon or for kids, or actually the majority of their toons. But it didn't suck. And I kind of don't understand why everyone hates this song so much. "Oh wheh, and the lyrics are meaningless", "Oh wheh, and rap and metal don't mix", "Oh wheh, and after making this song TBC are going downhill".
No, they're not. I'd say they've gone increasingly uphill for the last ten years. And also, I'm pretty sure TBC doesn't try to make good songs. That's kinda the joke. This song was complete garbage. That's why I like it. Rap song had pathetic/hilarious lyrics. That's why I like it. Even Trogdor was meant to be laughable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:51 pm 

Sad to say, it wasn't really that great.

Kinda disliking PeacyP a lil bit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:54 pm 

I love PeacyP just because of how much of a loser he is XD.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:39 pm 

All you people saying that "it wasn't funny" or it was "unintelligible", I totally agree.
But that doesn't change the fact that I'd give it a 5/5, just because the music is awexome.
TBC never cease to amaze me with their music, I always love it, whether or not I understand what they're saying. That's how a Japanese band can be my favoirte band :3

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next