Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guess what? Forum was locked. Guess what else? Not anymore.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:08 pm 

Joiiin usssssss.
I know about the "this place is my home" thing; I was here when it started. Still... I like SIBHoDC. And less drama is ALWAYS better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:23 pm 

If you still watch and want to discuss Homestar you are more than welcome to stay.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:35 pm 

I had a look at the other forum and must say it looks tempting... I consider registering there also, but I don't want to join anybody's side (I'm still new around here and don't know what happened or why it happened or whose fault it was, so I want to be neutral). Would that be okay or do people joining the other forum automatically count against the HRwiki-forum? Because -tell me if I'm wrong- I can't help but get the impression that users are expected by some people to team up with either one of the forums, but I'ld like to join both. :blush:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:40 pm 

pink pineapple wrote:
I had a look at the other forum and must say it looks tempting... I consider registering there also, but I don't want to join anybody's side (I'm still new around here and don't know what happened or why it happened or whose fault it was, so I want to be neutral). Would that be okay or do people joining the other forum automatically count against the HRwiki-forum? Because -tell me if I'm wrong- I can't help but get the impression that users are expected by some people to team up with either one of the forums, but I'ld like to join both. :blush:

It's just that a lot of users have continued enjoying the community while waning in their enjoyment of Homestar. If you like both, no one will hold anything against you for being a member of both.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:51 pm 

Beyond the Grave wrote:
If you still watch and want to discuss Homestar you are more than welcome to stay.

We also have a Homestar Board on our forum too. Granted, it's not exactly the biggest, but it will expand if and when it gets used and grows.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:16 pm 

There are two reasons I came here: Homestar runner and the off subject boards. With them separated, I can't predict how long I'll be around either of them. Probably not long.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:08 pm 
Admin Styles

ChickenLeg wrote:
Should I stay or should I leave?

pink pineapple wrote:
I can't help but get the impression that users are expected by some people to team up with either one of the forums, but I'ld like to join both.

Look. I'll say this again. The other forum is not a competing forum. It's a different forum. There are no sides. There are no teams. You can do whatever you want to do.

The Homestar Runner Wiki is the single best resource for Homestar Runner fans, and as such we always want to have a place available for people to discuss the official site. Thus, we have this forum. If you want to discuss Homestar Runner with people who really know the subject, then this is an excellent place to do it.

The other forum, on the other hand, is another forum, completely separate from us, and we don't control it (nor do we want to). If the people there are talking about what you want to talk about, then you should go there to talk. Heck, if you want to discuss Homestar Runner there and not here, then you should. (Our forum here is hardly the only Homestar Runner forum out there. I can think of half a dozen off the top of my head.)

If you want to have memberships in both, then that's fine too. When I want to discuss and read about xkcd, I go to the xkcd forum. When I want to read about Star Trek, I go to Memory Alpha. When I want Homestar Runner, I come here. It's as simple as that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:47 am 

It's not a team thing, but a home forum thing. I don't know how to clarify any more, as I know I sound confusing.

I think what I'm trying to say is that I've made many friends and had lots of memories for this place, that it's kind of become my online home. And since I've never moved in real life, these emotions are new and weird to me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:57 am 

I give this place like maybe three months before the lack of a place to talk about anything except Homestar (because let's face it there's no way anyone here is interested in ANYTHING BUT HOMESTAR) causes it to shut down.

But yeah. This is the good forum.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:21 am 
Admin Styles

Jitka wrote:
I give this place like maybe three months before the lack of a place to talk about anything except Homestar causes it to shut down.

You could be exactly right. We'll cross that bridge when we get there. I think your predictions may be premature, however. Just because some people don't want to talk about Homestar anymore (which is fine; people move on; that's life) doesn't mean nobody does.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:31 am 

The first post indicates that the off-subject boards may reappear. Any idea at all when we'll know?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:36 am 
Admin Styles

Possibly not for a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:03 pm 

Jitka wrote:
I give this place like maybe three months before the lack of a place to talk about anything except Homestar (because let's face it there's no way anyone here is interested in ANYTHING BUT HOMESTAR) causes it to shut down.

Naw, I think this place will just be a lot more low-key and slow-paced. You can already see wikiers who previously steered clear of here popping in, I can imagine them being able to carry on discussions about Homestar here, kinda like it was the wiki's break room where they can go and talk casually about the stuff they're writing articles about. Really, that's what this place was supposed to be.. but unfortunately it was allowed to become something else for so long that we got used to that and came to depend on it for killing time online.

This is something that should've happened a long time ago, really, before people got so used to having it a different way. But also, we're lucky it didn't or we wouldn't have had that environment where we could become the awesome community we are, which now has a home built specifically for it over at the other forum.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:34 pm 

Location: At The Eastmost Peninsula in the toilet of my heart
*sigh*

Well... to me, the best thing that came out of this is new bufFORUMery! material. Either way, I'm still coming.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:14 pm 

Inverse Tiger wrote:
Jitka wrote:

Naw, I think this place will just be a lot more low-key and slow-paced. You can already see wikiers who previously steered clear of here popping in, I can imagine them being able to carry on discussions about Homestar here, kinda like it was the wiki's break room where they can go and talk casually about the stuff they're writing articles about. Really, that's what this place was supposed to be.. but unfortunately it was allowed to become something else for so long that we got used to that and came to depend on it for killing time online.

This is something that should've happened a long time ago, really, before people got so used to having it a different way. But also, we're lucky it didn't or we wouldn't have had that environment where we could become the awesome community we are, which now has a home built specifically for it over at the other forum.

Right. For H*R discussion, we have this forum; for other discussion, there's the new one. This one may be slower, but it'll be back to sort of thing the forum was made for.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:48 pm 

Heimstern Läufer wrote:
Inverse Tiger wrote:
Jitka wrote:

Right. For H*R discussion, we have this forum; for other discussion, there's the new one. This one may be slower, but it'll be back to sort of thing the forum was made for.

No, for H*R discussion, we have this forum; for H*R discussion and other discussion, we have the new one. Just making sure you didn't leave anything out. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:19 pm 
Admin Styles

I guess you're right, if you mean in the sense that you can talk about whatever you want and there happens to be a token Homestar Runner section. It's like reading the Wikipedia articles about Homestar Runner instead of reading the wiki.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:54 am 

I guess I'm one of the few who doesn't miss Off-Subject. My only big regret about this forum was never writing this:

Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged 30 was pretty good; I just wish he didn't blatantly point out that he was making fun of Saw. I already knew the episode was a parody of that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:39 am 

Wow, a lot has happened while I was gone.
Ahh, well I mostly came for the off topic stuff in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:21 am 

Bad Bad Guy wrote:
My only big regret about this forum was never writing this:

Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged 30 was pretty good; I just wish he didn't blatantly point out that he was making fun of Saw. I already knew the episode was a parody of that.

Well, looks like you did write that, eh? So I guess you don't have to regret it! Huzzah!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:10 am 

What happened was unfortunate I guess...I would have stuck around if I was allowed to retain a moderator position but I guess the higher-ups weren't as big fans of me as the rest of the userbase was.

C'est la vie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:50 am 
Admin Styles

Meh, nothing against you personally. Just hadn't gotten to know you is all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:40 pm 

BREAKING NEWS

This place now bites.

That is all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:42 am 

It's dot com wrote:
Lunar Jesty wrote:
You might want to link to the new forum, SIBHoDC, for anyone interested in off-topic discussion or for any stragglers. But it's certainly good to be back.

You just did. In case anyone missed it, it's http://www.inversetiger.com/forum/index.php (that's a FellowSite, right? It would be real easy to make it forum.inversetiger.com. You should mention it to him).

Well, forum.inversetiger.com would just secretly be inversetiger.com/forum so there's no real point, right? Anyways, we switched domains and we can now be found at http://sinisterclub.com so you should update the link in your first post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:30 pm 
Admin Styles

Except that subdomain.whatever.com looks better, is easier to type, and makes more logistical sense than whatever.com/subdomain.

Shouldn't the favicon be a sinister icy black hand of death? Nothing against Phanto; they just don't seem to go together to me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:04 pm 

A sub-domain for a forum honestly looks pretty pretentious if there's no real need for it. Should your website have plenty of faux directories (as in, clean urls: http://ifyoumakeit.com/video/defianco-ohio) if I can see the benefits of using a subdomain, but in a case like http://inversetiger.com there's no real point, it's extra effort for no reason. "Easier to type" is pretty debatable, IDC. I'm far more comfortable sliding my pinky down to it the / key than I am to stretch for the . key, but that's not the same for everyone.

Are you seriously nit-picking at the SIBHoDC? Calm down, champ, we're just a forum.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:03 am 

It's dot com wrote:
Shouldn't the favicon be a sinister icy black hand of death? Nothing against Phanto; they just don't seem to go together to me.

We're only called the Sinister Icy Black hand of Death Club 'cause Inverse always thought that it would be an awesome name for a forum. We're not actually abut C&H (or sinister icy black hands, for that matter)

Besides, Phanto's awesome enough to be anyone's favicon. He's all-encompassing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:01 pm 
Admin Styles

MikeMcG wrote:
Are you seriously nit-picking at the SIBHoDC? Calm down, champ, we're just a forum.

Huh? You asked me a question, so I answered it. I wasn't paying super close attention at the time, but I'm reasonably sure I was calm when I posted. I seriously doubt you're interested in actually discussing this, so let's just say I disagree with basically everything you said about subdomains and leave it at that.

Ju Ju Master wrote:
We're not actually abut C&H (or sinister icy black hands, for that matter)

Still, it is your name, and the logo at the top of the page is pretty cool, so I thought I'd ask. I don't really care that much, though; just making an observation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:59 am 

It's dot com wrote:
Huh? You asked me a question, so I answered it. I wasn't paying super close attention at the time, but I'm reasonably sure I was calm when I posted. I seriously doubt you're interested in actually discussing this, so let's just say I disagree with basically everything you said about subdomains and leave it at that.

I'm definitely interested in discussing this. You were nitpicking. You made a completely unnecessary comment about how Inverse could have easily made a subdomain instead of using a directory. Maybe I just read it with the wrong tone, but it came off a bit nitpicky.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:13 pm 
Admin Styles

Then you misinterpreted me. I merely noticed it and offered a suggestion. Nothing more.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next