Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: I think it would be wicked if TBC started releasing...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:25 pm 

LONG toons, or something. Like once or maybe twice or maybe even thrice a year come out with like a half hour toon or something. That would rule. Be also nice to start an extra catagory on the remote.

Post subject: Re: I think it would be wicked if TBC started releasing...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:56 pm 

Location: All the way on the other side of the internet. Really.
...I can't even think of a plot that would both generate enough jokes to be considered a Homestar toon AND keep us interested for a whole half hour.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:11 pm 

Then you have a short attention span, silly boy. I don't think i've ever thought OH DIS TOON HAS TOO LONGS IN IT LET IT END? as the MERE SIGHT of a H&R charactar is entertaining. Uhhh perhaps like, DISASTER STRIKES IN FREE COUNTRY USA AS COACH Z SLOWLY STARTS TURNING INTO TROGDOR, or maybe homsar going on an awful "rampage", the KOT going nuts with power and starts making it absolutely unlivable to be in Free country USA, blah blah blah. The possibilities are ENDLESS!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:13 pm 

OH! A sweet cuppin' cakes toon would DEFINATELY keep me content for half an hour. Geniously random/entertaining! Also, they could make a "HORROR" movie like jibblies 2 but way longer about the ZOMBIE UPRISING mentioned in uhhh your funeral? I think that was the name of the sbemail; can't remember...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:26 pm 

Location: All the way on the other side of the internet. Really.
Quote:
Uhhh perhaps like, DISASTER STRIKES IN FREE COUNTRY USA AS COACH Z SLOWLY STARTS TURNING INTO TROGDOR, or maybe homsar going on an awful "rampage", the KOT going nuts with power and starts making it absolutely unlivable to be in Free country USA, blah blah blah. The possibilities are ENDLESS!

Yeah, but those ideas aren't exactly in character, and they're quite weird even for the world of Homestar Runner.

Quote:
Also, they could make a "HORROR" movie like jibblies 2 but way longer about the ZOMBIE UPRISING mentioned in uhhh your funeral?

Uhh...that's a bit too much for Homestar Runner in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:03 pm 

As if being weird was a bad thing. Random humor is BOSS! And cmon, coach Z turning into trogdor is no less random than sweet cuppin' Cakes! :ehsteve: . I would laugh so hard if they came out with that toon.
Also, the KOT thing would NOT be out of place in the H&R universe.
And what do you mean "a bit too much"? The easter egg in Your Funeral was a GREAT "preview" for the zombie uprising thing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:55 pm 

It was great because it was short.
Just like Super Kingio Brothers was funny because it was incomplete. But make a whole working game out of it, with about 100 lives, and expect people to play through them to see a nice game over scene, and they won't laugh about it anymore.
;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:01 pm 

How is that relevant?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:21 pm 

The only thing I think would actually work is if they actually made a full-length version of the Peasant's Quest movie.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:14 pm 

Eh, a peasants quest movie would WORK, but it's kinda getting old by now...
Again, there are ENDLESS possibilities for what they could do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:52 am 

Xtermenator wrote:
Eh, a peasants quest movie would WORK, but it's kinda getting old by now...
Again, there are ENDLESS possibilities for what they could do.

Ok, settle down. You like stuff that isn't necessarily popular, and you are willing to defend it if it kills you. But, you need to do it well. NOT BY USING CAPS LOCK ON EVERY OTHER SENTENCE. Also, check grammar, spelling, and what ever else you need to. People don't take you seriously if you can't type.

Now, back to the topic, I would like to see it if they could translate the humour to a 30 minute cartoon. However, I don't think even TBC can do that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:31 pm 

Xtermenator wrote:
Random humor is BOSS!

I honestly don't think that it would be the "BOSS" after a half hour. You'd get tired of it.

I think the bizarre humor of the cartoons is well-suited for their 1-6 minute format. Anything much longer would cease to be funny. Mostly because you would have to establish a definite plot for a toon that long, and rarely does a H*R cartoon have any sort of plot. It would be out of character.

But those are my two cents, and I sincerely hope you won't attack me for voicing my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:58 am 

Plus, if you're looking for something like the cartoon, but longer, try the new WiiWare/PC game. I think that's about as close as one will get to a really long toon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:28 am 

i think it might be cool, if its interesting enough to keep be into it, i have one of the shortest attention spans for a 17 year old

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:04 pm 

I don't see how TBC couldn't translate humor into a longer cartoon.
Or maybe everyone here has a stump of an attention span. I have enough attention span to sit through like, 2001 or Lawrence of Arabia, or Ben-Hur, and enjoy them a bunch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:52 pm 

Good for you. But not only is it long to make even a short cartoon, but 3-5 minute cartoons are what TBC seem to be at their best. Don't get me wrong, many of their toons that exceeded 5 minutes were still good, but I don't think they're really up for a very large toon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:25 pm 

Xtermenator wrote:
I have enough attention span to sit through like, 2001 or Lawrence of Arabia, or Ben-Hur, and enjoy them a bunch.

Congratulations. But Homestar Runner cartoons are nothing like those movies. It's not about attention spans. It's about translating these cartoons into a different format.

I think it is possible that they could pull off a half hour cartoon, but it would have to be more or less like a string of loosely related shorter toons. Not necessarily a "sketch show" type thing, but I don't know how well those characters could handle a plot for a half hour.

Brevity is the soul of wit, to quote Shakespeare.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:52 am 

That would only work if there was a pause feature, i can hardly watch one toon without my little sister bugging me. Plus it would take like a month to make one, so no.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:04 pm 

Location: Some country nobody cares about near Belgium. Aka Many countries near Belgium
The main problem would surely be the amount of time and effort TBC would have to put into it to put together a toon 6-10 times longer than their regular ones. Then people would probably be complaining that TBC don't make stuff often enough, that they haven't released anything in weeks, stuff like that. And also, they JUST finished the SBCG4AP project; I wouldn't doubt if they're bloody knackered by now. Maybe in a year or two, but it doesn't seem realistic in the near future.

"Sid Hoffmann, or Sid Frenchman?" "Homestar, this is the dumbest game i've ever played" "Oh, come on! You're just bein' sore 'cause you're losin'" "Ok, i'll go with Sid Hoffmann." "Sid HoffFrenchman. Sorry, you lose, I said Sid Frenchman."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:03 pm 

Location: Somewhere, Far Away From The Rainbow... A.K.A. England
Xtermenator wrote:
Or maybe everyone here has a stump of an attention span. I have enough attention span to sit through like, 2001 or Lawrence of Arabia, or Ben-Hur, and enjoy them a bunch.

I have to speak as someone who has watched Hamlet (The 4-Hour Version) and say that a 30-minute toon might be too much, but, 15 mins or even 10 wouldn't go amiss in my mind.

'I still don't understand women, but I think when they yell 'HAAIII' it means they like the dress they're wearing.'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:02 am 

Homsar Runner wrote:
Xtermenator wrote:

I have to speak as someone who has watched Hamlet (The 4-Hour Version) and say that a 30-minute toon might be too much, but, 15 mins or even 10 wouldn't go amiss in my mind.
10 mins seem to be enough time to make a "bigger" toon. I mean, the most I've seen is 6-7 mins (do correct me if I'm wrong) in a big toon. I guess extending it a few minutes wouldn't be too hard.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:14 am 

You mean LONGS?

HREMAILS ALL THE WAY!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:22 pm 

they should make a toon where SB ruins HR's life and then un-ruins it then re-ruins it they could make a sequal every month

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:31 pm 

homsarox57 wrote:
they should make a toon where SB ruins HR's life and then un-ruins it then re-ruins it they could make a sequal every month

I'm pretty sure they've made that already. Allow me to let you look at this.

But the best part about it is that these toons are interactive!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:50 am 

Have it be 15 minutes. That's how long TV "30 minute" shows are. They should be able to pull off 15 minutes of funny, or I have lost faith in the chaps.

"And I don't mean 'bored into your mind' like (awesome drilling some brains sound)."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:16 pm 

In my opinion, there are two big problems with TBC crating a half-hour toon:
1) It would take probably a month, and they DID just finish SBCG4AP. Which I have yet to download any episodes, because I'm down to 500 Wii Points :-( , I didn't get a Wii Points Card for Christmas (and all my video-game money is being saved up for a PS3 and LittleBigPlanet at the moment), and my mom doesn't even know about H*R, and I have to let her know what VC games and WiiWare I'm downloading :rolleyes:. Oops, I just started ranting, didn't I?
2) Even if they had the time and energy to make a half-hour toon, it would take at least five minutes to download. On high-speed! And the few people that are stuck for life with dialup (like Strong Bad, but that's because the Lappy doesn't have an ethernet port for the broadband modem) would have to wait HOURS to download it. Luckily, I have high-speed. Hey, can a toon be streamed like youtube videos can, or does it have to download completely before playing?

About me not having SBCG4AP yet... Maybe I could download the 8-Bit Is Enough demo...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:32 am 

WackoMcGoose wrote:
Hey, can a toon be streamed like youtube videos can, or does it have to download completely before playing?

They can stream fine... but it tends to look ugly if it loads too slowly, and you catch up to how much its loaded... unlike YouTube and similar video streams, which just pause for a bit, and then keep playing once it's got a bit of a buffer, a Flash video you'll actually see each frame as it loads... all the pieces appearing one by one on the screen as they're downloaded. It's especially noticeable at scene changes, where there's a lot of new stuff on the screen that needs to be loaded.

That's why most of the H*R toons have a loading screen at the start... they usually wait until they're about half done or so before they start playing, so that by the time you get near the end, it should be long finished downloading.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:20 pm 

I think the only thing idea that would even be funny would be a music video to "Billy the Mountain".

Unfortunately, that could never be done for 2 reasons:

1. Billy the Mountain is copyrighted
2. Billy the Mountain is incredibly inappropriate for kids, containing several instances of cuss words.

Plus, I don't think TBC, by themselves, would have the patience to make a 30 minute long video in the first place.