Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wanting to reach out to the HRWiki community
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:56 pm 

Is there a place in the HRWiki space where I can ask for help on a similar but unrelated project? I'm a bit sad but not surprised that my post was deleted in the main forum, though I would have appreciated some sort of a private response from a sysop directing me in a better direction.

Before you delete this post as well, please let me explain: It's not my intention to spam or to pull people away from HRWiki. I've been an off-again-on-again contributor to this project for a while, and at one point I felt pretty close to the community here, so I wanted to ask for help on a similar project I was starting up, from people in this community that I knew would be good at knowledge-base/trivia wiki work. My project is not H*R-related, but as I mentioned in the other post, much of the structure on my new project is being based on the great work done here.

So if there's no way to gain attention to my project on the forum, is there an off-topic section of the wiki where I'd be allowed to post this? Would I be expected to just leave posts on individual user-talk pages? (I'd really rather not have to do that, as I don't enjoy canvassing and I'm sure not many people enjoy being canvassed.) Please advise, either here or in a PM. Thank you.

-- KieferSkunk

The Red Green Wiki is looking for volunteers!

Post subject: Re: Wanting to reach out to the HRWiki community
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:28 pm 
Admin Styles

We don't have an off-topic section here at the forum anymore, and there are no immediate plans to make one. We don't have one at the wiki, either. Off-topic canvassing is spam and is not permitted. BUT... there is a loophole. We don't restrict what people put in their signatures (as long as they follow the rules).

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:49 am 

So, in other words, I have to be devious and subtle about trying to get some help, because there's no way to ask for it directly.

With all due respect, I think that's rather unfriendly, and it seriously limits awareness on this project of other projects people might find interesting. :( I understand the desire to cut down on off-topic chatter and spam, but it would be nice if there was some allowed way to just ask people about this. Among other things, I think that getting a group together of HRWiki editors to help on this project would lend it some good reputation. So, while it's not H*R-related, it is in a way related to the wiki.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:46 am 

Like he said, just put the information in your signature.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:59 am 

Sure, I'll do that. But that also means I have to be active on these forums, and frankly, I'm not likely to be. I don't use forums in general very often.

Sorry to inconvenience you guys. I'll just go elsewhere to find the help I need. Thanks anyway. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:15 am 

I'm sympathetic to your concerns, Kiefer, since I know you're just trying to establish a good wiki community and since you recognize ours as a good starting point. Ideally, I would like for there to be a good place for users legitimately trying to build wiki communities to recruit. The devil is in how to make such a place so that it doesn't get swamped (indeed, spammed) with recruiting messages. We have loads of users who've made their own wikis, sometimes only because they wanted to be sysops and then needed users to build up their wiki empire. We clearly don't want to be linking to that sort of wiki anywhere but the userspace. I'm quite aware that you're not in it for that reason (sysops at the big wiki certainly don't go for that sort of ego boost; I ought to know!), but if we allow one person to recruit on-wiki, how do we stop others from doing so? I don't have any ideas to solve that.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:40 am 

Well, my suggestion would be to allow users to make their case (like I'm trying to do here) and selectively accept or deny such requests. Particularly if the person making the request is someone you have experience with. I do understand that it's difficult to make exceptions to the rules for fear of the "we'd have to do it for everyone" situation - that's why I'm suggesting a sort of "application process", if you will. That gives you the ability and the right to decide which requests are okay and which are not, at your discretion.

Overall, it's not a really huge deal - there are other places I can go to find fans of the show. I just feel that reaching out to this community in particular would give the wiki a good base of people with technical experience. I have the experience, but I lack the time to run the wiki all by myself.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:51 am 

The system keeps telling me there are new replies on this topic, but I'm not seeing any. What's going on?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:20 pm 
Admin Styles

Does it give you any details? It could be that there was a spam post that got deleted.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:13 pm 

There was indeed a spam post here yesterday, which I deleted.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:50 am 

Ah, okay. Yeah, it just says "Someone's replied to your topic. Click here to see the new messages." Thanks for clarifying.