All times are UTC

Hremail3184
So popular now-a days 52%  52%  [ 76 ]
Saturn ring 'splosion 27%  27%  [ 39 ]
Oh Child! 10%  10%  [ 15 ]
Steak Sandwhich 6%  6%  [ 9 ]
Dooj! 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 146
 Post subject: Hremail 3184 (Strong Bad Email 201)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:20 am 

http://www.homestarrunner.com/hremail3184.html

http://www.hrwiki.org/wiki/hremail3184

HOLY CRAP THAT WAS AMAZING! So...many...inside refernces. I can't feel my brain.

Oh boy. Strong Bad's gonna get a new computer (finally) and a new Paper? Time to speculate.

Post subject: Re: Hremail 3184?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:53 am 

Holy crap. I did not see that coming. I loved the gardening tools part at the beginning, and Strong Bad taking out his entire set of computer equipment in one explosion was a very bold move.

It's hard to tell if this is the revival of sbemails, or the permanent burial of them. If they're coming back, I'm okay with that move as long as they're all as good as this toon!

I give it the rare SnowyFox 5/5 rating! Ding!

Last edited by SnowyFox on Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:05 am 

Awexome wrote:
http://www.homestarrunner.com/hremail3184.html

HOLY CRAP THAT WAS AMAZING! So...many...inside refernces. I can't feel my brain.

Oh boy. Strong Bad's gonna get a new computer (finally) and a new Paper? Time to speculate.

Or maybe Strong Bad's gonna quit the email business for good!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:17 am 

haha oh man, best part: the spittle! Poor Strong Sad you will never be able to impress with your single large dollop of saliva.

Seeing Strong Bad heartlessly destroy the Lappy was kind of depressing though. Maybe I'm just lame or something.
I doubt SBEmails'd come back after this, it was a pretty definitive statement.

Huge props to Micheal for the sweet avatar! B-)

Post subject: Hremail 3184
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:19 am 

Sbemails are back! Finally! Plus a new computer and paper soon!
I'm surprised they actually went through with it and killed the Lappy without saying its a dream or something.

Sr. Cardgage funny as always and also, Strong Sad wants to fight a half man half woman?

...uuh?

Post subject: Re: Hremail 3184
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:23 am 

Woooo hooo sbemails returned!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:26 am 

Happy wrote:
haha oh man, best part: the spittle! Poor Strong Sad you will never be able to impress with your single large dollop of saliva.

Seeing Strong Bad heartlessly destroy the Lappy was kind of depressing though. Maybe I'm just lame or something.
I doubt SBEmails'd come back after this, it was a pretty definitive statement.

lol... he said it was a "comeback" and that he would need "another one of those too" about the paper. What makes you think it's uhhh, not the return of sbemails? It's pretty obvious it is. haha.

lol @ "A weasel!" *blood drips down homestar's face*

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:27 am 

Thrilled about the return (dont call it a comeback) of sbmails.

Lappy got an unexpected, but appropriately epic send-off.

Really, really could of done without the spit showers. Really.

Last edited by Esteban81 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:29 am 

Pretty good, glad to see they are building up to something now rather than the enjoyable but rather disjointed mix of cartoons of recent months.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:42 am 

Esteban81 wrote:
Thrilled about the return (dont call it a comeback) of sbmails.

Lappy got an unexpected, but appropriately epic send-off.

Really, really could of done without the spit showers. Really.

spit showers were awesome haha. But did anyone notice the "evil" looking Lappy in the explosion. Uh-oh!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:44 am 

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!

I can't BELIEVE he went ahead and did it himself! He blew up his own lappy! He actually blew it up! Here I was thinking that he would take it hard when it died. But nope...

I wonder if this means no more sbmails ever or if he's going to officially come out of "e-tirement". Time will tell.

5/5 for EPIC EXPLOSION!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:19 am 

Wow... I, umm, hate to spoil the party but... I don't think I liked it. The beginning was funny, with Strong Bad abusing Homestar, but otherwise it all felt extremely thrown together and not even remotely real. In fact, I'm still kind of envisioning them saying next week that it was all an alternative reality and none of it happened. For beating Homestar up with garden tools, I'll give this one a 2.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:23 am 

Heimstern Läufer wrote:
Wow... I, umm, hate to spoil the party but... I don't think I liked it. The beginning was funny, with Strong Bad abusing Homestar, but otherwise it all felt extremely thrown together and not even remotely real. In fact, I'm still kind of expecting them to say next week that it was all an alternative reality and none of it happened. For beating Homestar up with garden tools, I'll give this one a 2.

How did a cartoon not seem real? Hremail 3,184 means it's probably the most recent hremail, homestar seems burnt out, strong bad can't take it anymore so he returns. And he destroyed the Lappy because... well, that always happens? Didn't really seem thrown together to me. I just don't see why you don't think it was real? I'm pretty surprised they returned to sbemail, I wasn't expecting it, at least not yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:37 am 

I can't stop watching it.

It's like a beautiful dream and if I stop watching it I might wake up.

Not my favorite SBemail ever, but the fact that it's a real, honest-to-God SBemail more than makes up for the fact that it wasn't the most amazing three minutes of my life.

... also, the throwback to yes, wrestling sort of made my life complete.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:41 am 

Eat it all you nay sayers, sbemails are back... with a vengence. Next week all new paper and compy.

This is gonna be, jumbo large.

Anyways i'm just so stoked sbemails are back 5/5.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:55 am 

Location: Some country nobody cares about near Belgium. Aka Many countries near Belgium
I liked it, but I have to say I kind of agree with Heimstern: it did seem loosely bound, containing what seemed to be a large number of "manate jokes" that just sort of flashed in and out of the plot for humour purposes, but I think it was a good comeback in a field I didn't think they would be able to do one successfully.
(http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Manatee+joke)

:senor: Senor Cardgage FTW^^
4/5

"Sid Hoffmann, or Sid Frenchman?" "Homestar, this is the dumbest game i've ever played" "Oh, come on! You're just bein' sore 'cause you're losin'" "Ok, i'll go with Sid Hoffmann." "Sid HoffFrenchman. Sorry, you lose, I said Sid Frenchman."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:01 am 

Power Crunch wrote:
How did a cartoon not seem real? Hremail 3,184 means it's probably the most recent hremail, homestar seems burnt out, strong bad can't take it anymore so he returns.

Like I said, beginning was cool. I got no problems up to here. It's after he left Homestar's talk show room that I felt it fell orff. For one thing, I just didn't find the whole thing with him using a steak sandwich as a computer funny. It felt very not-Strong Bad and more, well, Homestar-like. Secondly, Cardgage walking out without moving didn't seem very in character, either. Cardgage is creepy, but not surreal. There's no reason his walking should be like Homsar's might be. Thirdly, and here's probably the fundamental difference between me and most people here: I didn't find the spitting thing funny at all; just mildly disgusting and frankly a bit too juvenile for Strong Bad.
Power Crunch wrote:
And he destroyed the Lappy because... well, that always happens?

No, it doesn't. When has Strong Bad ever deliberately destroyed one of his computers or printers that wasn't already broken? This is a completely new character twist, and I ain't liking it. Now mind you, as those who know my critical opinion of TBC's killing off of The Paper know, I'm against killing off any electronics that show personality, as the Lappy and The Paper did. The Compy and the Tandy, not so much, so I wasn't so miffed by those.
Power Crunch wrote:
Didn't really seem thrown together to me. I just don't see why you don't think it was real? I'm pretty surprised they returned to sbemail, I wasn't expecting it, at least not yet.

I figure it probably was real, but it doesn't seem right for the above reasons plus a general gut feeling.
badpirate wrote:
... also, the throwback to yes, wrestling sort of made my life complete.

That was the other thing I liked most, incidentally.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:43 am 

Heimstern Läufer wrote:
Power Crunch wrote:

No, it doesn't. When has Strong Bad ever deliberately destroyed one of his computers or printers that wasn't already broken? This is a completely new character twist, and I ain't liking it. Now mind you, as those who know my critical opinion of TBC's killing off of The Paper know, I'm against killing off any electronics that show personality, as the Lappy and The Paper did. The Compy and the Tandy, not so much, so I wasn't so miffed by those.

Yes it does always happen. That's the point. Strong Bad even said it himself. He is beating whoever or whatever is going to destroy Lappy to the punch by doing it himself. If you have some sort of problem with it because the Lappy is uhh, a person or character or something? Uhh, that's just kind of silly. Besides didn't you notice the "evil" looking Lappy face in the explosion. It's probably a plot twist. All the computers before had personalities, Lappy's was just most prominent.

The Cardgage point you made, well... you have a point there. And the rest of it is really based on I suppose, personal tastes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:56 am 

I liked this one, but mainly for a lot of small reasons... there's nothing really big and hilarious...

In order: the hremail opening was great. The burn-in on SB's wall was hilarious for some reason. The steak sandwich/"I guess I'm out of practice" thing was odd, and the Cardgage thing was a bit out-of-character (as Heimi said), but both I thought were still funny. The no-one-knows-what-dog-years-are running joke is still hilarious.
[edit] Oh wait, the dog years thing wasn't the running joke, it was SB confusing time with money... with dog years in alternate universe, and general relativity in space program. Still, I thought it was a running joke, and thus I thought it was funny. You can't take that away from me with your pedantry. [/edit]

But then the bit with the explosive Pop-Tart was too slowly paced (and not in a good way, like boring (really)), and the spit thing was just almost a minute of unfunny. The actual blowing up of his own computer I saw more as TBC saying that sbemails are dead, for reals this time... but given how many other times something's happened that could be seen as TBC saying that sbemails are dead, for reals this time, I'm not going to put too much stock in that theory. The explosion was suitably epic, and the throwback to Happy Fireworks was nice, but it still lacked with the funny.

First watching, the early jokes were good enough to coast through, but the less funny bits stood out second time through. All up, 3/5.

Power Crunch wrote:
All the computers before had personalities, Lappy's was just most prominent.

Really? The Tandy didn't do anything personification-like before it was thrown out (its first was giving its death bed messages while in the bin)... the Compy did one or two things on occasion... but the Lappy, along with the Paper (and, to a lesser extent, the new paper) are the only objects that have been pseudocharacters to the point of actually having conversations (of a sort) with the characters... there's actual personality there, unlike that of, say The Stick, or Bennedetto, where a large part of the joke is that they don't have a personality, or any personified characteristics at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:10 am 

In the case of The Steaky Steaky 6 Millenium Edition, as Strong Sad said in the email buried...

"[...]and you're crazier than ever."

Strong Bad is definately crazier than ever.

I also like the number 3184. It's like they just took a random number generator and got four numbers.

Anyway, it gets a 5 for the Steaky Steaky. But then it actually gets a 4 for apparently being a sbemail.

...but since it was also a hremail, it reminds me of "And hremails are sbemails!" from Sbemailiarized!.

Maybe the fact it's 3184 means that it's actually a hremail in the futuuuuuuuuuure!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:32 am 

i send a hremail

Dear Strong Bad the sbemail 200 is your last email.

and sbemails is back

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:49 am 

Did anybody notice that the sbemail menu of this week doesn´t have a Scroll Button Song?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:48 pm 

AWESOME!!! THE SBEMAILS RETURN!!!!!

:trogdor: :trogdor: :trogdor: :trogdor: :trogdor: / :homsar: :homsar: :homsar: :homsar: :homsar:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:54 pm 

Power Crunch wrote:
Heimstern Läufer wrote:
Power Crunch wrote:

Yes it does always happen. That's the point. Strong Bad even said it himself. He is beating whoever or whatever is going to destroy Lappy to the punch by doing it himself.

That's still comparing apples and oranges. Of course SB's technology dies. That doesn't mean when he deliberately kills it off, it's something that happens all the time.
Power Crunch wrote:
If you have some sort of problem with it because the Lappy is uhh, a person or character or something? Uhh, that's just kind of silly. Besides didn't you notice the "evil" looking Lappy face in the explosion. It's probably a plot twist. All the computers before had personalities, Lappy's was just most prominent.

Silly? Dude, we're all just fans posting on a forum about a cartoon about dumb animal characters. I don't think any of us is ever in a position to say another's opinion on an element of this toon is "silly". Phlip's already done a fine job demonstrating how The Paper and the Lappy have shown character to an extent previous computers haven't, so I won't go into that now, but suffice to say I've developed a definite liking for them both as pseudocharacters. There's nothing silly about developing an interest in some of the finer points of the site like the lesser-exposed sort-of-characters.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:25 pm 

Heimstern Läufer wrote:
Wow... I, umm, hate to spoil the party but... I don't think I liked it. The beginning was funny, with Strong Bad abusing Homestar, but otherwise it all felt extremely thrown together and not even remotely real. In fact, I'm still kind of envisioning them saying next week that it was all an alternative reality and none of it happened. For beating Homestar up with garden tools, I'll give this one a 2.

I'm with you and :hr: on this one. Why would Marzipan be letting :sb: hit her boyfriend with gardening tools? Besides, I don't like it. The emails from him went on long enough, and Homestar got a cut-short chance, and it all seemed like :sb: was asleep on the couch dreaming again. I gave it a 2 also.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:44 pm 

In my opinion, the funniest part besides the cat weeks in dog years was when HR was mumbling at the start of the sbemail. Woot! SB's back!
(or was it dog weeks in cat years?)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:59 pm 

ElTruco wrote:
Did anybody notice that the sbemail menu of this week doesn´t have a Scroll Button Song?

Yeah, I'm still rather confused about that.

This got bonus points for Coach Z and Bubs hanging out (which is something I mentioned in the What Do You Want To See thread saying "Hanging out like from Happy Fireworks") and The Announcer, but minus points for it being a sbemail and Senor Cardgage's unfunny walking out. I guess I'll give it a three.

Favorite quote from latest toon: What latest toon?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:15 pm 

Loved it!
Somehow some way, I figured TBC just couldn't stay from SBEmails for too long....!!
:sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :hr: / :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb:

Follow-up post once I recompose myself (and watch it again!)....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:16 pm 

HstrRnr wrote:
Why would Marzipan be letting :sb: hit her boyfriend with gardening tools?

Well, that may be simply because their relationship is at least a bit tenuous.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:33 pm 
Admin Styles

Phlip wrote:
The actual blowing up of his own computer I saw more as TBC saying that sbemails are dead, for reals this time... but given how many other times something's happened that could be seen as TBC saying that sbemails are dead, for reals this time, I'm not going to put too much stock in that theory.

Heimstern Läufer wrote:
Of course SB's technology dies. That doesn't mean when he deliberately kills it off, it's something that happens all the time.

I think TBC have wanted to start up the sbemails again, but, after all this time, they've felt pressure to make it momentous, and that's why the Lappy had to explode. It wouldn't have felt right for them just to do a sbemail as though no significant time has passed. I don't agree with killing off the Lappy, but I take comfort in the fact that so far nothing that has "died" has truly never been seen again, so I'm sure it will come back at some point in some way or another. The explosion, on the other hand, was sufficiently cool.

I had a feeling this would be how Strong Bad Email would return, with Strong Bad getting fed up with Hremails like he got fed up with Homestar on First Time Here. I agree that the toon felt thrown together. Again, I think they may have just been trying too hard for their first one back, and hope that they'll find their rhythm over the next few ones.