Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Hremail3184
So popular now-a days 52%  52%  [ 76 ]
Saturn ring 'splosion 27%  27%  [ 39 ]
Oh Child! 10%  10%  [ 15 ]
Steak Sandwhich 6%  6%  [ 9 ]
Dooj! 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 146
 Post subject: Re: Hremail 3184 (Strong Bad Email 201)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:42 am 

Whoa, I just now saw the easter egg!... Not really that funny, but.... Yeah.... The :senor: walking in place thing made me laugh so hard, especially when :sb: commented about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:30 am 

Since both the Lappy AND the Paper are gone, I wonder if he'll just take over Homestar's Email booth... room... thing and ditch the "waggle-head and an old computer" thing altogether in favor of the "professionally-produced" format Homestar's been using. I'm not sure how he can upgrade his printer again and still have something old-fashioned-looking. And he's pushing the limits of what wouldn't come with a GUI, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:11 am 

So, we're about 9 months from e-mail thunder, and we get this. Honestly, I think the sbemail was more of a poke at old motifs and themes. Dressing it up as a hremail in the intro, the steak sandwich's...features...it was pretty funny if you look back at the history while you watch it. Still, it seems that The Brothers Chaps are a little bit rusty. The Senor gag was funny but out of place, and it didn't make me believe that The Lappy died. If that happened, then they would change the e-mail menu like the other times. Besides that, a decent 4-star cartoon

Last edited by yarrunmace on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:46 am 

I just noticed that the gun Bubs has in "Virus," is a single-barreled shotgun, while the one seen shooting the Compy in this 'toon is double-barreled.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:50 am 

Mr.Diskette wrote:
I just noticed that the gun Bubs has in "Virus," is a single-barreled shotgun, while the one seen shooting the Compy in this 'toon is double-barreled.

But in "virus", Bubs has the shotgun like one leg of Homestar until the effects of The Virus disappear, but in this sbemail his shotgun has the normal form even after shooting the Compy 386.

Happy Tree Friends and Homestar Runner forever!!!!

I´ll do more translations in Spanish soon!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:50 pm 

ElTruco wrote:
Mr.Diskette wrote:

But in "virus", Bubs has the shotgun like one leg of Homestar until the effects of The Virus disappear, but in this sbemail his shotgun has the normal form even after shooting the Compy 386.

I also found that weird.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:22 am 

Wow... Heimstern is a mod here? I figured he was just some random fan-type person, judging by how he whaled on the e-mail. I figured that moderators here showed the series, like, an unending, unconditional love, or something. Or at least, only showed their faces for modding and being all offical and stuff.

Anyway, Sbemails are coming back. Strong bad intended to make this sort of comeback two whole weeks before the sbemail even aired. He'll get a new computer, he might get a new new paper, and this isn't the first time his other possessions have been destroyed.

Really, I thought the toon was awesome, and made perfect sense to me. Yes, even the Cardgage part. And I quote (from Sbemal: fan club):

Quote:
STRONG SAD: We also had several interesting discussions in the ongoing debate series "Non Sequitur Champion: Cardgage or Homsar".

{scene cuts to either Senor Cardgage or Homsar, chosen at random:}

* HOMSAR: {wearing a computer key hat that reads "Thump"} My name's Millions, and I'm the son of a Chipwich!

* SENOR CARDGAGE: {standing next to a duffel bag} Carrageenan, Monteljohn. Can you detect me to the nearest bus stamp?

{cut back to Strong Sad}

STRONG SAD: ...Well, debate's over!

As far as the deal with him walking in place, this is the same guy that mysteriously appeared out of a small bush in his premier. Plus it's not the first time any non-Homsar character has done something Homsarry. Especially if you count all the instances of twin chracters.

Now, I will say that, I knew Sbemails would return eventually, and I welcome them back, but I'm really hoping they don't become the main focus on the site again with every other toon type being half as rare as a new Teen Girl Squad. Even if Strong Bad changes up the format. I rather liked the getaway, and would rather the getaway be a preview of what's to come as far as Sbemails mixed with other toons, rather than just a short-lived vacation from sbemails.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:31 am 

I hope they diversify themselves like they have been doing. You can tell that they're having fun. Though I do loooove SBEmails and I'm happy to see them back, that doesn't mean I want them to stop doing HREmails or random toons. I think they should keep doing whatever it is they're in the mood to do. This is what they do for a living, by closing off their options and going 'NO. SBEMAILS MONDAYS!' and never playing around ... well, it's going to be us who's going to suffer.

It might be fun to see a full-length toon where Homestar and Strong Bad try to answer similar/the same e-mails in different ways. I always love seeing them get all rival-y.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:49 am 

Draygone wrote:
Wow... Heimstern is a mod here? I figured he was just some random fan-type person, judging by how he whaled on the e-mail. I figured that moderators here showed the series, like, an unending, unconditional love, or something. Or at least, only showed their faces for modding and being all offical and stuff.

Yes, I'm a forum admin. And there's no reason forum admins can't express critical opinions about TBC's work. Why would we need to be official? We're not official (that is to say, we're not affiliated with TBC in any way, nor do we speak for them in any way). This forum exists for discussion about Homestar Runner, including criticism. Since we're all fans, we should be primarily positive (or else what are we doing at this forum in the first place?), but that doesn't preclude negative opinions from time to time. That applies to everyone: admins, mods and regular users. Of course, these negative opinions should be fairly and politely worded.

Incidentally, I've warmed up to one of the jokes in this email that I initially criticized, namely the steak sandwich computer. Somehow, another watching made me convinced it was OK as another spastic Strong Bad moment, especially since he's out of practice with email checking.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:43 am 

I really couldn't get into this one. The Hremail intro was good, the garden tools, the steak sandwich, Gardenboy... But I wasn't fond of anything in between. The spitting was just a little gross and unfunny, and the email in the whole seemed in line with Strong Bad's description of shockwave explosions: doing it because it's the popular thing to do. It seems more like they're bringing Sbemails back because of the demand, rather than because they feel inspired. I can't understand it, but for some people, just it being a Sbemail makes it good, regardless of its actual qualities. As if it were impossible to make a bad Sbemail. Well, that's certainly been done before, and I think it's just been done again.

Same with blowing up the Lappy. It seems so self-referential, so contrived. Before, it was kind of just "Well, that's Strong Bad's luck with technology". Now, it seems like TBC is trying to recapture the "magic" of Sbemails, by just pulling out the things people like and doing them again. Which, of course, pleases some people, because they're essentially more interested in being a fan, in-the-know, part of a group, than they are in original, inspired entertainment.

Sbemail's just aren't fresh anymore. That doesn't mean they can't make new good ones, but they really should just go with their inspiration, rather than try to cater to a fanbase. That only makes it more inaccessible, and just plain not funny.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:29 am 

CheesyCrabSandwich wrote:
Same with blowing up the Lappy. It seems so self-referential, so contrived. Before, it was kind of just "Well, that's Strong Bad's luck with technology". Now, it seems like TBC is trying to recapture the "magic" of Sbemails, by just pulling out the things people like and doing them again. Which, of course, pleases some people, because they're essentially more interested in being a fan, in-the-know, part of a group, than they are in original, inspired entertainment.

Sbemail's just aren't fresh anymore. That doesn't mean they can't make new good ones, but they really should just go with their inspiration, rather than try to cater to a fanbase. That only makes it more inaccessible, and just plain not funny.
Well most of the toons on this site are a reference factory to previous works. Whether it's a running gag or an in joke, H*R is notorious for these. I actually find Sbemails are, and always have been, the only thing that my friends can connect with and understand; some guy checking and making fun of someones email in live action is funny. Sbemails more recently are just toons cut with Strong Bad talking to his computer now anyways, so when Sbemails are broadcasted, everybody wins (the ones who wanted toons got it, and the ones who wanted Strong Bad got it.)

If they're not referencing themselves, they're usually vaguely touching on (referencing) some obscure form of media, and yes, again, even in toons. WHICH IS FINE, but, yes, original comedy is nice too.

I also don't think this is catering to the fan base so much as continuing working with their original idea which WAS to respond to fan emails in humorous fashion. It's only a coincidence that Sbemails double as a big shout out to their fans.

Artists like TBC do what they want. That's why it's always been just the two or few of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:53 am 

Personally, I was rather underwhelmed. I really prefer the Hremails to the Sbemails, and was really glad that TBC were starting to do more toons that were unrelated to Strong Bad. Not that I hate Strong Bad or anything, it's just that there's so much untapped character potential out there to explore!

The whole thing just seemed too boring... Homestar's lines always save it for me, and so it was in this one too, with the very beginning (garden tools) and the end (don't call it a comeback).

Hopefully this is the final nail in the coffin for Sbemails, once a source of great humour, which was unfortunately strip mined Simpsons-style. I think the lack of Strong Bad on the email menu tends to support this... I mean why would TBC go to the effort of making a new Strong Bad-less menu if they meant to keep Sbemails around? To trick us?

Anyway, I'm hoping for more (but at about the same rate they've been coming, to keep them fresh) Hremails.

Oh yeah, I'm new here, but I've been frequenting H*R since Crazy Cartoon. The first time I saw Coach Z he was pink, and that's how I thought he was.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:39 pm 

Depending on the tech-level of Strong Bad's new computer... I have two words in suggestion:

"Lappy Emulator"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:31 pm 

THAT WAS AWESOME! The best part was with Coach Z taking a shower with Strong Bad's spit! I laughed so hard at that!

Still... I guess this means there will be more Strong Bad e-mails...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:37 pm 

Spellman wrote:
If he was going to get the Zappy in the future like that email fortold, he would eventually lose his current accent/voice too like that email fortold. I think that was just a sloppy prediction (it was a joke.).

Well, 2012 is still three years away. Anything can happen. Why, just look what happened to SB in 2001.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:23 pm 

I have to say, I'm a little surprised that Strong Bad destroyed his own computer for a change. The Lappy's probably not really dead, and it likely will be haunting Strong Bad in the years emails to come.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:32 pm 

I thought "Accent" took place somewhere between 155 and 156 (my guess). Just look at "Greeting Cards" - on the fourth card it shows '02 under Lem Sportsinterviews's signature, and we know that "Comic Book Movie" took place before "The Paper." That's why they're called previously unreleased emails. So if we assume "Accent" took place in 2006, Strong Bad's bound to have the Zappy in 2011.

Then again, unless someone in the real world is able to invent a floating monitor with a holographic keyboard, we'll never know if it'll be true.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:40 pm 

Charlie Jr. wrote:
I thought "Accent" took place somewhere between 155 and 156 (my guess). Just look at "Greeting Cards" - on the fourth card it shows '02 under Lem Sportsinterviews's signature, and we know that "Comic Book Movie" took place before "The Paper." That's why they're called previously unreleased emails. So if we assume "Accent" took place in 2006, Strong Bad's bound to have the Zappy in 2011.

Then again, unless someone in the real world is able to invent a floating monitor with a holographic keyboard, we'll never know if it'll be true.

Well, 2011 is still two years away. Who knows? Something might happen.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:10 pm 

Now here's a question for you (and I would be very interested in your opinion, Heimstern Läufer):
in the Dangeresque movies, the effects are pretty terrible. I mean, I think the """films""" are hilarious, but let's be honest. Bad camera jerking, cardboard and tinfoil, and a very sad attempt at turning Strong Sad into a CGI monster in the third movie...it's just not great.
And then, we find out that Strong Bad can make an awesome, house-destroying, special effects masterpiece explosion with one of those so-popular-nowadays-saturn-rings by pressing a plastic button with the word "dooj!" on it.
So, why can't the effects for Dangeresque be all awesome like that too?

"Maybe now that the HStarRwiki forums have killed off the best topic, everyone will go over to http://strongbadiathefree.forumotion.com/forum.htm so that I can get myself promoted!" -from Dangeresque 3.141592654: Uzi-Bazooka's Conquest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:06 pm 

This wasn't a great Sbemail by any means, but the return to Strong Bad E-Mails is extremely important to the success of the website, and I think they made a good move bringing them back. The actual specific one where they return to it was bound to be gimmicky and not fantastic, but that's unimportant.

Some people (I think TBC included) have underestimated the need for these cartoons to be seen through the lens of Strong Bad's viewpoint. As ridiculous as he can be, he's really far FAR more normal than most of the other characters, and thus having someone with whom we can relate, who gets that what's going on is strange and absurd and has enough knowledge of societal normals, common sense, pop culture and current events that the word can seem familiar. Seinfeld may not have worked without straight man Jerry to wryly comment on the absurdity of his friends actions and situations, ditto Arrested Development without Michael or The Office without Jim. The same holds true of Strong Bad. The only other character who fulfills this role is Strong Sad (and, occasionally, Pom-Pom, but he doesn't work as a main character for obvious reasons) but his lack of popularity and versatility hurts him - as well as his relationship with the other characters being marred by their dislike for him.

Homestar, on the other hand, is just ridiculous and is just one step ahead of having Homsar or Senor Cardgage as the main character. He'll say and do things with no rhyme or reason, seemingly at random, and rarely follows a logical train of thought that allows anything but absurdism. To continue my Seinfeld parallel, it's like if Kramer was the main character instead of Jerry. Wouldn't work. Homestar works very well as the franchise's secondary main character, because he serves as a foil to Strong Bad. Rare is the cartoon that Homestar's not in, but it's often a smaller part, which makes it work more effectively and makes the character hilarious as Strong Bad (and we) muse on his ridiculousness. Take that away, and he's just borderline mentally retarded with no context.

Strong Bad's not my favorite character, nor do I find him to be the funniest character, but he is a great and necessary main character. I think the cartoons where Homestar is the main character don't work nearly as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:11 pm 

SlyFoxDeveraux wrote:
I think the cartoons where Homestar is the main character don't work nearly as well.

Play Date & Kick-a Ball would like to say hi. Though, again, it's your opinion, & I respect that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:49 pm 

WHAAATT??? Hold on! Shut face!
Are sb_mails REALLY coming back?? There is a God!!
But poor Lappy. I so did not see that coming. I thought he was more attached to her than that. What's next???

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:09 am 

Uzi-Bazooka wrote:
Now here's a question for you (and I would be very interested in your opinion, Heimstern Läufer):
in the Dangeresque movies, the effects are pretty terrible. I mean, I think the """films""" are hilarious, but let's be honest. Bad camera jerking, cardboard and tinfoil, and a very sad attempt at turning Strong Sad into a CGI monster in the third movie...it's just not great.
And then, we find out that Strong Bad can make an awesome, house-destroying, special effects masterpiece explosion with one of those so-popular-nowadays-saturn-rings by pressing a plastic button with the word "dooj!" on it.
So, why can't the effects for Dangeresque be all awesome like that too?

Strong Bad said he bought the dooj button a few weeks ago, after they finished the Dangeresque movies.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:39 am 

Quote:
Play Date & Kick-a Ball would like to say hi. Though, again, it's your opinion, & I respect that.
I'd love to say hi back. I don't buy Kick-a-Ball as being a Homestar-centric cartoon. That's a definite ensemble, with Strong Bad and Homestar being slightly above the rest of them, which is how almost all the ensemble cartoons work.

As for Play Date (while I don't really love that one) yes, it is Homestar centric... but the character is made way more normal than he usually is, for purposes of bouncing off Strong Mad better. With some dialogue change, that role he plays could easily have been played by most of the characters - he just reacted, exhausted, to Strong Mad's innocent pain causing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:08 pm 

Coach z's cool wrote:
Strong Bad said he bought the dooj button a few weeks ago, after they finished the Dangeresque movies.

He did? Wow, I didn't know that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:19 pm 

I so called the New New Paper! In that one speculation thread.

Post subject: Re: Hremail 3184
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:52 pm 

Mini-Geek wrote:
I give this 5/5, but am left completely wondering whether sbemails will continue. I was thinking they were dead, with the hremails just poking fun at 'em, but this gives a chance of them coming back while simultaneously destroying the Lappy and both Papers. It seems that if sbemails continue they will probably have a different computer and paper. I wonder if SB will move to a basic GUI (like Windows 3.1) or just a slightly newer ancient computer.

I have to agree with this, a really old timey GUI would be the next evolution of computer. It can't look nothing like the Cheat's compy, it has to be really old and outdated. Maybe a Commodore 64 with GEOS! Now that'd be awesome.

TBC: Make it a GEOS clone, all monochrome, and allow for him to play SID music. That'd make some great times!

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:03 am 

Neoxon312 wrote:
Cloverstardrop wrote:
Oh no,not more sbemails! X-( *Sigh* well it was pretty funny,the opening was the best. I loved Senor Cardgages weird walking part :mrgreen:

How can you hate sbemails, they're awesome (especially this one)!

I hate them because there is SO MANY of them! They seemed to take away a lot of big toon time. I mean after sbemail 200 a lot of new toons began to show up. I fear another shortage of toons if they get back to sbemails. They may as well change the site to Strongbad.com at this rate...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:06 am 

HstrRnr wrote:
Neoxon312 wrote:
Cloverstardrop wrote:
Oh no,not more sbemails! X-( *Sigh* well it was pretty funny,the opening was the best. I loved Senor Cardgages weird walking part :mrgreen:

How can you hate sbemails, they're awesome (especially this one)!

Because he has 201, and the funnier :hr: has only 3 or 4. It's gone on for 8 years, people! We don't need more emails from :sb: !

THANK YOU! Somebody agrees with me for once! Well didn't homestar actually have like 60+ hremails? And I agree,I thought hremails were WAY funnier! I love when Homestar made fun of Shadow Homestar in that one :mrgreen:

Quote:
but the return to Strong Bad E-Mails is extremely important to the success of the website

.......Umm I strongly disagree. When they took a break from sbemails after sbemail 200 lots of new toons have been showing up,and some of them are big toons. I was suprised when I saw a new big toon,mostly DNA Evidence was made back in 07,and was happy they were getting back to a wider range of characters and toons again! As I have already stated I am fearing a shortage of toons once again,which may not be very good for the site.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:54 pm 

Cloverstardrop wrote:
HstrRnr wrote:
Because he has 201, and the funnier :hr: has only 3 or 4. It's gone on for 8 years, people! We don't need more emails from :sb: !

THANK YOU! Somebody agrees with me for once! Well didn't homestar actually have like 60+ hremails? And I agree,I thought hremails were WAY funnier! I love when Homestar made fun of Shadow Homestar in that one :mrgreen:

I personally dislike hremails (with hremail 2000 the only acception). Though, it's your opinion, & I respect that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next