Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A suggestion to cut down on spam
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:37 am 

Have it so all new members have to answer questions about Runner in order to register, like how some forums ask you to do a math problem.

Please make me a mod, I want to delete the spam & ban the spammers.

Last edited by likalaruku on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A suggestion to cut down on spam.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:57 pm 

I think that I can safely say that this is a great idea. But they should be simple, like, "What color is Homestar's Star?" And there can be something by the questions that says "TIP: All answers to the questions can be found at the Wiki."

Post subject: Homestar Wiki Forum suggestion.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:37 am 

Seriously, make me a spam cop. it's getting out of hand. I don;t even think it's just 1 person posting it all anymore.

Last edited by likalaruku on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Homestar Wiki Forum suggestion.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:54 pm 

I like the first suggestion a lot, but... let's call someone higher on the chain about the second.

Post subject: Re: Homestar Wiki Forum suggestion.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:12 pm 
Admin Styles

likalaruku wrote:
Make people who want to join have to answer a Homestar-related question in order to join.

I've actually already been looking into that.

Post subject: Re: A suggestion to cut down on spam
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:14 am 

I've checked the last login for mods several months ago, & most of them seem to have been inactive for over a year. I can understand why, but the spam is getting out of control now.

Speaking of long term inactivity, this year's hr fundraiser probably isn't going to go over very well.

MagicSwap wrote:
I think that I can safely say that this is a great idea. But they should be simple, like, "What color is 's Star?" And there can be something by the questions that says "TIP: All answers to the questions can be found at the ."

Too easy for spammers. Real Homestar fans would be willing to dig deeper than a glance at an image. For example, you could ask "What's the name of the rejected concept for a 4th Bad brother (or the Bad mom)?" & the answer would be "Strong Glad." Or the names of Homestar's niece & nephew. It would requite looking through the wiki for rejected characters or the sketchbook.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:02 pm 

likalaruku wrote:
Too easy for spammers. Real Homestar fans would be willing to dig deeper than a glance at an image. For example, you could ask "What's the name of the rejected concept for a 4th Bad brother (or the Bad mom)?" & the answer would be "Strong Glad." Or the names of Homestar's niece & nephew. It would requite looking through the wiki for rejected characters or the sketchbook.

Eesh. No, that's way too obscure and would drive even "real fans" away.

What would be ideal is a Captcha when you try to register. I'm not sure how feasible that is, though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:30 pm 

Capchas would be effective if it's a bot, if it's not, then it won't detur the spammer at all.

You can use captchas to bring in a little money for the site too; I've seen The Escapist use Chevy-sponsered captchas.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:34 am 

I'm getting really tired of this spam. In the past few days, pretty much just spammers have posted on the forum. If this works, I'll be glad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:12 pm 

I wholeheartedly support this idea.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:36 pm 

I've gone on too many times to find the site filled with posts and what not only to find out their all about toothbrushes. I support this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:46 am 

I support, too.

And I know it's not as effective, but how about also putting a filter on the stuff that spammers typically post?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:44 pm 

likalaruku is spot on, while the efforts of the mods who clean up the junk posts is GREATLY appreciated, we need to fix the screen door on the submarine, not keep bailing out the water pouring in ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:31 am 

& soon. It's like we have less then 10 real posters & 1-3 spammers posting 10 new topics a day. Legit topics are drowning & the spam discourages both seasoned from staying & new fans from joining.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:14 am 

Yay, great idea! Just a little easy question like "How much sbemails were created by The Cheat?" or "Is K.O.T. fat?" or something like that.

A man who have SPAM on avatar wanna to fight with spam. :coachz:
Yay, I wanna be the guy mod too! :poop:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:08 pm 

Can I be a mod too so I can remove spam?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:46 pm 

Well, this is a new low I guess, although I hadn't been frequenting here until the last week or so. Spambots have taken over the first three full pages of what seems to be all of the subforums.

Last I checked, on here or elsewhere, asking to be a mod is usually counterproductive. If they need more, they'll go look at respected frequent posters who may also have provided some other sort of contribution. If you want to be a mod, don't ask to be one- be a good citizen and, most importantly, hope they're hiring.

I also noticed they delete that stuff seemingly on a daily basis, which is nice- they are still taking care of the forum, but even so you have transient periods of spam saturation.

EDIT: It is now the first fifteen pages that are saturated with spam. I appreciate mods for doing what they do, but as an old-timer, it makes me sad to see the forum this way. :sad: Understandably, upgrading the software isn't a huge priority given that the traffic here is pretty low, but it's either preserving what little is left or letting it go to the wolves permanently and disbanding the forum. Come back TBC!!