Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Choppy animation (technical problem)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:48 pm 

Yes, I know we have a page for toons that fail to load. But that's not my problem. All the toons load fine, but the animation is sometimes choppy, as if random frames have been removed.

This affects every toon, but it's most obvious whenever there is rapid movement. The perfect example is in Happy Fireworks when Strong Mad shakes the The Cheat back and forth before throwing him into the sky. Sometimes it looks normal, sometimes it's choppy, and sometimes the cheat doesn't move at all! (Neither do Strong Mad's arms, in that case.)

Even if I play the same toon twice in a row on the same browser, it can look different each time.

I have a Windows 7 laptop, fully updated.
I'm good about clearing up spyware and cookies and such.
My flash is fully updated. (In fact I did the update just now, and restarted afterwards. No effect.)
I use Firefox, fully updated.
I've also seen the problem on Opera, fully updated.
I thought maybe a Firefox extension could be causing the problem, but then why does it persist on Opera? (I've never installed anything into Opera).
Just now I tried Chrome twice and it was fine. But why Chrome, and not the other browsers?

Years ago, every toon played fine for me. And then, at some point, I developed this problem and it's never gone away. It's been ok, since I was just rewatching old toons and I remember what they look like, but now that the new sbemail is here I figure I should try to fix this problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Choppy animation (technical problem)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:19 pm 

Location: In the bountiful Blue Laser Thanksgiving action playset
Why does Chrome work?

GOOGLE IS LOVE.
GOOGLE IS LIFE.
ASK GOOGLE.
GOOGLE KNOWS ALL.

But seriously, I think that all the newly updated browsers might be the problem. Running Flash 5 is probably not high on their priority list. Maybe you could try downloading an old browser.