Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Who plays Starcraft?
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:58 pm 

Hey all. just curious who plays this most excellent game. I've made a single-player campaign for it which you can find here: http://staff.samods.org/Gemini (do note, this is not for people under 13 years of age, as there is mature language). If you play it, just reply and say what you love about it.

Me personally? I love the storyline, and I love the flexibility of the map editor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:08 pm 

I play it, and love it, but I suck at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:10 am 

My friend, Sir_Pudding does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:44 pm 

I don't, but I do play and love Warcraft III; another game by Blizzard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:25 pm 

Warcraft III is an insult to the Blizzard fan community. The storyline is awful and the multiplayer sucks. The only thing it has going for it is WorldEdit, the most powerful mapmaking software ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:06 am 

Gemini wrote:
Warcraft III is an insult to the Blizzard fan community. The storyline is awful and the multiplayer sucks. The only thing it has going for it is WorldEdit, the most powerful mapmaking software ever.

I find the Warcraft III multiplayer to be quite entertaining when playing with a room full of loud creative college students... LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:17 pm 

Me! Me! Mee! I love SC!

Post subject: I play
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:32 am 

I play. Let me know if anyone wants to play a multiplayer. As for the campaigns, I'll try to get around to them soon... how long is each one in estimated hours:minutes? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:53 am 

Depends. Maps 1-3 are around 30 minutes apiece maybe (maybe shorter), map 4 is more like 45, map 5 can take as long as you want because it's a sprawling city with lots to do, maps 6 and 7 should take around 30-45 minutes apiece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:18 pm 

I just started a StarCraft Wiki!
Look at all its majesty. And Smallness.
http://gecko.freezope.org/wiki/FrontPage

Post subject: Review of LoaM levels 1-4
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:17 pm 

You asked for reviews? I've played maps 1-4, and have some thoughts...

The dialog is disappointing, but it does set the stage. The music is a mixture of some grunge punk rock, Final Fantasy, and something else I can't put my finger on. If you wanted to waste the megabytes in the file, I say get some voice actors to voice the dialog for you and leave out the background music.

The gameplay (and that's what we all came here for) has so far been like the station levels of the Starcraft and Broodwar levels, not unlike the enslavers campaign. In levels 1-4, there's no real mining or building, just a shoot-em-up. May I say, in level 3, I really needed more gas to get the upgrades I wanted. I don't know if you did that intentionally to make the upgrades a premuim where the player has to choose or if it's a matter of oversight. I made the mistake of not getting restoration ASAP, and my heros were blind most of the level! I ended up having to fly engineering bays around to sight for them. Beat it on the 3rd try.

The bosses are of varying difficulty, with 3 being almost unreasonable hard! Since it uses realtime seconds to handle his cloaking, I sped up the game to give myself more time to shoot him (sorry!). Also, you probably meant to make the extra Arbiters allied with the other side, not the human players'. The rest are beatable with normal gameplay.

The trigger programming and level reactivity is comparable to a Blizzard campaign map. Each map is harder than the last, but is about the same difficulty throughout the individual map, relying on the same basic micromanagement techniques everywhere. Not every building is assaultable, advancing the plot rather than playing like a multiplayer game.

Gemini wrote:
Maps 1-3 are around 30 minutes apiece maybe (maybe shorter), map 4 is more like 45...

Naw, dude, because I don't like to lose a man, I spent a whole lot longer, like 2 hours each! If I had just hit attack-move with my battalion, yeah, 1 hour maybe. Since I use my hero to take a hit from a tank, then go back and heal him, or use a cloaked ghost to deal with the creep colonies and ultralisks, it takes longer. Map 2, where you make do without medics, ends up being reasonable (the direction I took) if you hero assault and let the 45-hp ghosts go behind in safety. Ended up being the easiest.

Did I mention the bosses? This isn't really a Starcraft map norm, but the way they're handled is excellent. Instead of just being a hero unit, they have their own behavior and movement, making strategy and paying attention to micromanagement vital to doing well. Save often.

Looking forward to maps 5-7! If you liked the campaigns or enslavers, and think the concept of level bosses would be interesting, download the lite versions (save your bandwidth and ears, rather, play an MP3 of winamp in the background) and enjoy a day solid of gameplay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:28 am 

JamesGecko wrote:
I just started a StarCraft Wiki!
Look at all its majesty. And Smallness.
http://gecko.freezope.org/wiki/FrontPage

Heh, I've already got one. It's not yet released to the public, but it's hosted at the site where my campaign's hosted at. It's a Starcraft/Warcraft/Diablo wiki.

Buz wrote:
If you wanted to waste the megabytes in the file, I say get some voice actors to voice the dialog for you and leave out the background music.

Sorry, but the music stays. I'm working on a Special Edition which will make it fully voiced, but I want my music. I don't consider it a waste, and anyone who has a fast enough internet connection to get the regular version shouldn't either, since it takes hardly any time at all to get the whole thing.

Also, the dialogue has been rewritten a bit. I made the first mission when I was a freshman in high school so the dialogue was rather immature, but I've remedied that.

Thanks for the review! I hope you enjoy the second half of the campaign. I really worked hard on some of the innovations I use in those maps.

Post subject: Played 5-7 (8)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:38 am 

Gemini wrote:
Sorry, but the music stays.

Is is copyrighted and do you have permission?
Gemini wrote:
I hope you enjoy the second half of the campaign. I really worked hard on some of the innovations I use in those maps.

I must say, level 5 was top-notch! The monetary system, the upgrades, the gaming, the optional objective mini-quests, and the race at the end were well-conceived and carried-out with near-perfection.

Just two warnings: don't use the air-taxi without including a hero! Your non-hero characters won't fall back under your control, and the taxi will be stuck with them. Also, don't let yourself get to 0 money... you won't be able to game back up.

While you're playing, I've found the best money-maker is the skill-based game where you buy units and then fight with them. Once upgraded, I like using a cloaked ghost and a couple of tanks.

I had trouble with the first quest, since I didn't get how to use the beacons. After a few tries, it was cool. Did make me wonder, though, can I walk around and get the job done instead? And also, can I go up there and cap the bad ghosts later in the game? Anyway, it set the stage for the other quests.

The boss is a race rather than a fight, so move quick! I didn't realize until too late that my other characters could contribute!

After having so much fun on level 5, level 6 seemed rather plain. An installation map with your heros. Play it safe, because healing is a premium.

Level 7 is also an installation, with a very difficult ending. The rush to survive is almost undoable (may I recommend putting a beacon at the end so you can click it?), and then one goes right from there to the boss who just has an unbelievable amount of... resiliency. If you can keep your medic alive, you'll get it. Since there's only one, once your medic's hit a few times it's only a matter of time before your heros are going to bite the dust.

The epiloge (8) seems depressing, but appropriate for a teen writer coming to grip with the fact that sometimes even when you win, you lose. Although, after hearing the voicework for the Protoss, I'm glad that the rest of the game didn't have voice overs (just pickin' on you).

If you're thinkin', "I don't know if I care enough about custom campaigns to download and play this series," then pick up level 5 and get into it. It's by far the best, and uses the map editor as well as I'd expect from Blizzard staff. Again, very comparable to the enslavers campaign, only with fun gameplay twists that let you take the game beyond the shoot-'em-up genre.

Post subject: Re: Played 5-7 (8)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:47 am 

Buz wrote:
Is is copyrighted and do you have permission?

Hehe, nope :/ But I haven't been contacted and I'm making no money off this. If I'm contacted by those who hold the rights, I'll remove it. In the future I'll be composing my own scores for my upcoming campaigns.

Buz wrote:
I had trouble with the first quest, since I didn't get how to use the beacons. After a few tries, it was cool. Did make me wonder, though, can I walk around and get the job done instead? And also, can I go up there and cap the bad ghosts later in the game? Anyway, it set the stage for the other quests.

No, you can't go around for the first quest, I made sure that you had to use the beacons; however, if you catch the second quest (about the modified psi emitter) and finish that one first, you'll realize that that was what was causing the problems and so poof! Problem solved, two quests finished with one fell swoop.

Buz wrote:
After having so much fun on level 5, level 6 seemed rather plain. An installation map with your heros. Play it safe, because healing is a premium.

That mission was primarily for certain important plot elements. In Special Edition, you'll be able to unlock a secret bonus mission in that map.

Buz wrote:
If you're thinkin', "I don't know if I care enough about custom campaigns to download and play this series," then pick up level 5 and get into it. It's by far the best, and uses the map editor as well as I'd expect from Blizzard staff. Again, very comparable to the enslavers campaign, only with fun gameplay twists that let you take the game beyond the shoot-'em-up genre.

Thanks for the review, I really appreciate it, especially when I get a review from someone who knows what they're talking about (as opposed to some of the idiots whose "feedback" I have received before :P ).

Post subject: Tuesday, 7/20/2004
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:07 am 

Another Game next Tuesday? We could play the BGH map, or if there's a favorite let me know. How about Tuesday, July 20th?

Last edited by Buz on Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:55 pm 

Okay, it looks like I joined in this discussion a little late. But I love StarCraft and I love how in every single forum I go to, somebody always ends up starting a StarCraft thread. (Sometimes it's me! :grin: )

Anyway I would love to play any games on b-net with y'all so let me know when and I'll see if it fits into my work schedule. :cool:

Final Fantasy; it consumes my life...
"Roll the dice to see if I'm getting drunk!!"

Post subject: Ok then...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:38 pm 

Just let me know when someone's up for a game then! We can team up on comps if you don't want to go pvp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:42 pm 

Comp stomp!! Invite me too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:05 pm 

How good are you all at Starcraft? I don't consider myself to be a newbie anymore, but I don't think I'm a pro yet.

Final Fantasy; it consumes my life...
"Roll the dice to see if I'm getting drunk!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:08 pm 

I have Starcraft, but I lost the CD key so I can't play... :-(

Post subject: Thursday's Game
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:30 pm 

Prof. Tor Coolguy and I just played a game (replay), and Gir is up for a game Friday. Anyone else in?

Last edited by Buz on Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:12 pm 

:rolleyes: ....you spell'd my name wrong....

I'm in for anything next week(I'm in Philly till saturday,of this week)

Note:Thanks for the game buz :-D (Mabye I'll be able to help next time :p )

Post subject: Correction
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:50 pm 

Prof. Tor Coolguy wrote:
....you spell'd my name wrong....

I corrected it. Sorry. :hr: Monday looks good, Wednesday too. You all can play without me too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:36 pm 

Have you guys heard anything about Starcraft: Ghost? It looks to be decent...I dunno about a shooter Starcraft...But playing as a chick Ghost might be cool...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:27 am 

I play a little bit with a couple of my friends...but I suck...

-Mars

My favorites:
:sb:
:cheat:

Post subject: Ghost
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:05 pm 

AgentSeethroo wrote:
...I dunno about a shooter Starcraft...

I don't usually play console games, or shooters. Ghost is both! I'd like to know the story, just like my favorite part of SC:BW is the secret level you play as Zeratul.
AgentSeethroo wrote:
But playing as a chick Ghost might be cool...

That's something I really don't get... the fascination all these tough guys have with playing video games AS a female character. I mean, ever since Street Fighter had that chick with the crazy kick that didn't put a run in her nylons, it's been far too popular. Not that every shooter has to be Duke Nukem, but I'd like to see little boys playing more of the Metal Gear Solid and less of the Lara Croft. At any rate, playing as a chick ghost didn't last long in Starcraft Classic since Kerrigan... well, I won't ruin it for those who haven't got there yet.

Game today anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:13 am 

SCG is looking dysmal...their co-developer cut out, it would have been so much better if they had stayed :-( .

I wish they would stop trying to jump on the MMORPG bandwagon with world of warcraftand start working on starcraft 2

**Warning spoilers:**
I hear that there is supposted to be a protoss zurg hybrid in the next game(4 races w00t!)
**End of Spoilers**

Post subject: Spoilage
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:41 pm 

Prof. Tor Coolguy wrote:
I wish they would stop trying to jump on the MMORPG bandwagon with world of warcraftand start working on starcraft 2

Or, at least, another expansion. They don't HAVE to stop at one expansion per game (Dark Portal, Broodwar, Lord of Destruction, Frozen Throne)
Prof. Tor Coolguy wrote:
**Warning spoilers:**
I hear that there is supposted to be a protoss zurg hybrid in the next game(4 races w00t!)

That's not as much of a spoiler if you played the secret level of Broodwar where Samir Duran explains its existence. Of course, what I just said is a spoiler for Broodwar, but that's like me saying "Vader is Luke's father" is a spoiler. You know, expiration dates on knowledge being cool. "It's a sled!" "The butler did it!" "The mother was in on the brainwashing!"

Post subject: Re: Spoilage
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:43 pm 
Resident Deity

Buz wrote:
"It's a sled!"

Whoa man. Good choice there with Citizen Kane. The classics are cool. Of course, so was the Star Wars reference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:00 am 

hey every peoples,I'm in for anytime this week. you name the place and time and I'm there.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next