All times are UTC

Post subject: SB email 107
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:30 pm 

The cheat's birthday...cute.

I liked it.

Highlight: cheat answering emails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:07 pm 

Highlight: me getting to do the transcript :mrgreen: I thought I didn't have a chance in Heck of ever doing one. I actually put up "DON'T TOUCH THIS I'M DOING IT" where it belonged when I noticed that nobody had done it yet (well, that's not what it actually said, but whatever).

- Kef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:58 pm 

I noticed that you reserved the transcript, I guess I was just too late, So I did the easter eggs and the page itself :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:21 pm 

Highlight: Mining games.

I don't really know why, but this was the only part of the email that made me laugh outloud. I don't know why, but I like that kinda humor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:12 pm 

I WIN!

Oh yeah, by the way, furrykef, we're no longer allowed to credit who transcribed the e-mail on the transcript. You can credit yourself on your userspace but I removed your credit on the transcript.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:47 pm 

Well, The Cheat dismissed an E-mail asking about SB's parents. Guess we'll never know, then.
ANYHOO, the rest of the E-mail was alright, in my opinion. I didn't find it too spectacular, but that's probably because it's a follow-up from the almighty Dangeresque 1 E-mail. The sections with the Cheat were cute. And I liked Coach Z and Bubs' attempts to get a band together.
My highlight was also the mining games.
I WIN!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:05 pm 

I don't know about you guys, but my favorite part was the "morning routine" reference with the "POTATE" bag and "super.. super contra..".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:36 pm 

This was a good one. I take this as proof that TBC reads forums...

"make more trogdor pleasepleaseplease

p.s. pay out strong sad"

could be a reference to this forum...? :)

Post subject: 6
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:08 pm 

TBC definitely does NOT read forums. It's all a coincidence. There is a small chance they even know about this wiki. They don't have time to search through the millions of sites there are made about H*R. So many fan sites . . . they have a life, you know.

Ugh. Who put the pokemon reference in the Easter Eggs for this e-mail? C'mon! You gotta be kidding me! I'm not deleting it, though . . .

*Shifty eyes*

Post subject: Re: 6
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:31 pm 

Mike wrote:
TBC definitely does NOT read forums. It's all a coincidence. There is a small chance they even know about this wiki. They don't have time to search through the millions of sites there are made about H*R. So many fan sites . . . they have a life, you know.

1. Yes, it's almost certainly a coincidence.
  2. There's nothing even remotely close to "millions" of H*R fansites on the web. You've overestimated by three or four orders of magnitude.
  3. Unless you're Mike Chapman, you're in no position to say what they "definitely" do and do not do.
  4. TBC clearly understand their audience and respond to their fanbase.
  5. The best way to gain that sort of understanding of a fanbase is to listen to what they're saying, which means reading fansites and fan forums at least occasionally.
  6. The best way to find fansites for your product is to Google said product.
  7. The Wiki is on the very first page of results for several very popular H*R-related Google searches. (Currently #3 for "homestar runner". That's just two behind the official site itself.)

You're giving TBC far too little credit. These guys are way too smart not to Google themselves. Though I'm sure they don't read it religiously or even browse it occasionally, I would be very surprised if they weren't at the very least peripherally aware of one of the highest Google-ranked H*R fansites on the web.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:48 pm 

Gemini wrote:
I WIN!

Oh yeah, by the way, furrykef, we're no longer allowed to credit who transcribed the e-mail on the transcript. You can credit yourself on your userspace but I removed your credit on the transcript.

That's fine. I only did it because I thought it was still the convention. Since the transcripts should be revised it doesn't really make sense to have authorship anyhow.

Speaking of which, thanks for fixing my mistakes. No matter how carefully I proofread my text I tend to miss something...like leave a out of a sentence (that one was on purpose!)

- Kef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:24 pm 

InterruptorJones wrote:
  1. The Wiki is on the very first page of results for several very popular H*R-related Google searches. (Currently #3 for "homestar runner". That's just two behind the official site itself.)

As of June 5, 2004, 19:23 EST, the Homestar Runner Wiki is #4 on the Google Homestar Runner search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:35 am 

I don't know, but if I was famous, and people were dedicating a lot of their time and thought to generating a Wiki or other website about my efforts, I would DEFINATELY google to find out who they were.

For purely self-promoting and embarassing reasons. It has got to be euphoric to have fans. Fans that make websites, and things.

Maybe it would be frustrating, though. A lot of these h*r fans are real jerks. Have you ever farked? I think those people are jerks. That's why I am here, with you guys and gals.

i just love you guys and gals! I don't even care if TBC comes by to see what we think!

Oh, gosh, I'm gushing. Sorry about that *sniff*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:24 am 

Did you ever notice that the photo on The Cheat's fake I.D. sorta looks like Sabin From Final Fantasy 3/6?

Sabin - http://membres.lycos.fr/punkrocker2/sabin.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:46 am 

InterruptorJones wrote:
There's nothing even remotely close to "millions" of H*R fansites on the web. You've overestimated by three or four orders of magnitude.

It's a little something I like to call an assumption.

*Shifty eyes*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:02 am 

I know that when I am famous, I'm definately googling myself. At least once an album and/or movie. So I know when I've hit my prime. Aren't we a bit off-subject, here? High point in 107: mining games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:12 am 

I didn't think it was that great. The only part that made me laugh out loud was when :cheat: was answering the emails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:44 am 

I can't say I liked this one. The Cheat seemed out of character to me.

'Hey man, I'll gnaw your face off, Teh C?'

Come on... The Cheat is to smart to write 'teh'.
I mean.. The Cheat is very vain, and he can be pretty quirky, but that just kinda felt like illegal bootleg The Cheat or something. Might just be because I associate spelling like 'Teh C.' more with people like Strong Mad. And 'I'll gnaw your face off?' Hmpf... How un-the-Cheat-like...

The mining game thing WAS very good, and the Bubs and Coach Z part was nice as well. But all the rest just felt forced and weird to me as well. Even though SB himself seemd in character as usual.

Oh well, better luck next update. The SB e-mail streak HAD been amazingly good lately, so whats one lesser SBemail really? ;)

Man... I sound negative... Didn't like the last short either... But then again, being non-American and immune to RL commercials I probably just didn't 'get' that one... Oh well... Eh... I really liked the last SB-email before this one? That one wasn't neccesarily in my top five either, but it WAS excellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:52 am 

Mmm... An additional note though...

To the person who mentioned the mail about SB's parents... Strong Lad I think?

Is it just me, or does that question feel alot like;

'How do you type with boxing gloves on?'

I mean, if I was TBC, then the only way I'd answer that one is if I could think of a really snappy deflective one-liner for Strong Bad.
Something like 'Oh, they were just really normal parents, (then starts about another subject.)

Its true that Homsar was added based on an e-mail, but the question about SB's parents seems to me like a request to add two new chars. And I know I wouldn't go for that if I ran H*R. Its not as if SB's parents are at all important to SB's char.

So I suppose this e-mail DID have an interesting way of discouraging that question.

Not so much that I'd mind if they DID go for it, and thought up something about SB's parents. But it just doesn't seem like something they'd do.

My guess though? Strong Bad's father probably looks like a cross between SB and SS (fat grey, with a Strong Bad mask), and Strong Bad's mother probably looks like a cross between SM and SS (big bulky with a Strong Sad head.) Its funniest that way, IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:05 am 

Pardalis wrote:

I think it was meant to be teh ironic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:54 pm 

furrykef wrote:
Pardalis wrote:

I think it was meant to be teh ironic.

Well, it fall flat to me then.

Also, to the one who did the transcript for the easter eggs. Bubs says Royalties, not Royalty. I changed it in the Wiki. ;)

Royalties, like you have for a book/movie/album what have you. ;) Its about money, not monarchy. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:41 pm 

StrongstarRunbad wrote:
As of June 5, 2004, 19:23 EST, the Homestar Runner Wiki is #4 on the Google Homestar Runner search.

Odd, it's still #3 on my screen. Not counting the Froogle product search results, of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:16 pm 

Yeah, this email wasn't my favorite...I thought it was just kinda funny.

Theme park is still my favorite so far.

Josh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:51 pm 

I'm not very fond of this one, to be honest. It wasn't as bad as Car, but I thought it was a bit empty. The Bubs/Coach Z demo tape was the highlight for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:07 pm 
Wiki Proprietor

Pardalis wrote:

"Teh" is the proper spelling for "The" in l33t speak. I would imagine The Cheat is simply showing off his computer savvy. I thought it was a nice touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:59 pm 

JoeyDay wrote:
Pardalis wrote:

"Teh" is the proper spelling for "The" in l33t speak. I would imagine The Cheat is simply showing off his computer savvy. I thought it was a nice touch.

Wow, I had never heard of that. I am constantly typoing the 'teh.' Also the 'taht.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:32 am 

Pardalis wrote:
Also, to the one who did the transcript for the easter eggs. Bubs says Royalties, not Royalty. I changed it in the Wiki. ;)

Royalties, like you have for a book/movie/album what have you. ;) Its about money, not monarchy. :D

I know what royalties are, but I can't for the life of me hear the "s" when Bubs says it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:29 am 

lumberjack vegetable wrote:
I don't know, but if I was famous, and people were dedicating a lot of their time and thought to generating a Wiki or other website about my efforts, I would DEFINATELY google to find out who they were.

Bwahahahaha... I'm not very famous, but I google myself all of the time... I get a lot of hits (over 500, w00t!), but many of them are either to my own website or else posts I've made on various message boards.. ehhh---

As for this latest sb email.. it was alright.. definitely did not blow me away. But the chort sure is cute :) prolly mining games was the coolest part.. I liked how they used the charcoal that you'd use for an outdoor grill.

soce, the elemental wizard

[Edit by InterruptorJones: Fixed link. Remember to use BBCode.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:48 pm 

Location: Disinfecting the Internet with my homies, Spam Slade and Dr. Watchem
This email was okay... I didn't think it was anything spectacular, compared to the last few emails, but it had it moments.

Highlights:

Mining Game
Bubs's and Coach Z's Demo Tape

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:31 pm 

Quote:
I know what royalties are, but I can't for the life of me hear the "s" when Bubs says it...

First of all, I CAN hear him say 'royalties'.
Second. 'I get all the royalty' doesn't make any sense.