Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: WHAT THE CRAP HAPPENED??
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:48 pm 

A question, no doubt, many of you are asking.

Okay, since everyone wanted to know what happened to the Forum, I figured I'd make a thread explaining it as best I can.

Keep in mind, we are still investigating, and do not have all the facts yet.

We believe that someone hacked the account of an inactive Moderator, and used it to delete massive portions of the HRWF.

Affected boards include:

Off-Subject Discussion
Getting to Know You
Arts & Crafts

As a result, many users have also found their post counts dramatically decreased.

The account in question has been temporarily deactivated, all inactive Mods have had their status removed, and all current Admins and Moderators are now changing their passwords (I plan on changing mine regularly for some time).

If you have any information that might help us determine what exactly happened, please PM, IM, or email an active Admin.

The Forum has suffered some pretty devastating losses. But we are still here. Whoever did this - and for whatever reason - they will not keep us down.

Last edited by Didymus on Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:02 pm 

Due to information that has come to light, we are now suggesting that all members change their passwords.

If you use the same password for another forum, please do not use the same one here, or, for that matter, one that is similar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:36 pm 

Dear HRWiki Forum Members:

We the Administrators and Moderators feel that it's time we let you know exactly what happened.

As you probably know, last Thursday evening, someone used Modestly Hot Girl's password to hack into the Forum and delete a large number of threads. Since then, we have been investigating, hoping to discover exactly who it was and how they did it. As many of you have already guessed, we suspected Jello B. of being the perpetrator of this event. We now know this to be the truth.

Apparently, Jello has been using his access to the HRWFWF server to read its members' passwords. This gave easy access not only to the accounts of HRWFWF members, but also members of the HRWF who used the same passwords for both sites, like MHG.

Not only was this attested by numerous different witnesses, but has now been confessed by Jello himself. Due to the severity of this event, we felt it necessary to ban Jello B. from the Forum permanently.

We thank you for being patient in our attempts to resolve and explain this. We did not want to make any information official until it was confirmed, on the chance that it could be false, so we apologize for the time it took to accomplish that.

We would also like thank those of you who assisted us in resolving this, and all of you Forum members who, through your diligent contributions, have kept this Forum going during this time. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:52 pm 

Okay, by now, everyone should know what has happened. As such, we feel this notice thread has fulfilled its purpose.

Thank you all very much for your patience and good spirits during this time. If you have any questions or concerns about the Purge, please feel free to contact an Admin or Mod by PM.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]